PDA

View Full Version : Geen water!

PPFBOBB12
01/02/2002, 12:15 AM
Hi all -

I recently set my 58 gal tank back up. Its been going since October 10th so 2 1/2 months and I haven't touched the tank ever since. For the last month, the lower 2/3 of my tank's water has been completely green where you could not see anything inside it. The upper third of the tank has a "pink glow" from my VHO's. There is little algae growth on the tank walls, which I know is normal.

The LFS, Mile High Aquariums, said to do a 50% water change and leave the lights on the tank on for 6-8 hrs a day. I did what they recommended and for the most part, the "greenish" glow has gone away. However - is there anything else I can do to totally get rid of it? I just don't want all this "free floating" algae to come back again and turn my water green. Is there any supplements that I could add? I want to completely get rid of it.

Regards -

Phil

wanecek
01/02/2002, 01:36 PM
I had the same problems several years ago with my FOWLR 55 gal aquarium. I did multiple water changes and even left my light off for several days at a time. This would lessen the greeness of my tank but after a couple of days it would come back.

The only thing that worked was I finally broke down and bought a used UV sterlizer. Overnight my aquarium was crystal clear and I never had any green water again.

After this I began to use RO/DI water and never had the problem again.

If you know someone who has a UV sterlizer or maybe you can borrow one from you LFS. That way you won't have to buy one.

I do still have mine but I am not sure if it still works. I have not used it for a couple of years. I will check it out later tonight and give you an update. I can lend it to you if it still works.

Mike

wanecek
01/05/2002, 08:58 PM
Hey there,

I will be at the meeting and I will bring my UV sterlizer. You can borrow it from me if you would like? I could not get it to work but after messing with it I was able to finally get it to work.

Hope to see you there.

Mike

PPFBOBB12
01/05/2002, 09:05 PM
Hey Mike -

I will be at the club meeting. Thanks for lending me your U.V Sterilizer. Do you have a pump to run it on? How many watts is it?

Regards -

Phil~

wanecek
01/05/2002, 09:10 PM
That was quick.

It is 7 watts. I don't have the pump for it anymore. You really do not want to set up a strong pump on it, because you want to give the chance for the UV to kill the algae. I currently have an extra MJ900 that may work though. I can bring that too and you can try it out. I think I even have some extra tubing you can use for it.

Mike

wanecek
01/08/2002, 04:23 PM
Phil,

Have you had any luck with the green water?

Mike