View Full Version : Steve Richardson

geo
06/08/2000, 12:53 PM
what is your
"new...excellent...$17.51....auto-kalk-top-off system."
please share

------------------
george w.

my diy skimmer/reactor (http://hometown.aol.com/geos75reef/index.html)

Steve Richardson
06/08/2000, 01:12 PM
George 'dubyuh'...

You caught that huh? :D

I found a small peristaltic pump on e-bay that I paid $17.51 for. No pretty housing or anything. Just the pump. Flow rate adjustible by tubing diameter. Self priming, and will push up to 25ft up I think. I asked the gentleman who sold it, and he said he would be willing to sell them for $25 each.. so if there is interest here, I will ask if I can post his e-mail address.

The float switch is exceptional for the cost. Its accurate to about 1/4" (guess) and it switches solidly. Its reversible too. Someone told me its the same part as the ultralife float switch without the relay. Since it has no relay, I wouldnt put a big pump on it, but for something small its fine. This part costs $7... and I'm getting a catalog from the place around here that sells it. A friend gave me an extra one he had, so didnt cost me anything.

So now, I have a 5G bucket beside the tank with kalk in it, and I guess that every 30 minutes or so, the pump kicks on, and drips about 30mls of kalk. (opted for larger diameter tubing so pump is not on as long... the float switch is sensitive enough where is is only pumping a limited amount of kalk anyway)

I'm only making kalk once every 5 days or so.
Its a beautiful thing. Its matches evaporation perfectly, and just makes things a whole lot easier. Those that have been mixing up kalk nightly can appreciate it, I'm sure.

Sooooooo. Its really $32 if you want the same thing, I guess.

I will post all the info I can. I have the pump manufacturer at home (retails for $125, so I dont know how this guy gets them...he does work for a company called 'smallpumps' which is a reseller...)

hth,

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Richardson (edited 06-08-2000).]

geo
06/08/2000, 04:23 PM
I would like to purchase one of these pumps. Could you please send me the info on this guy, or maybe post it in the DIY section.

Thank you.
George Dubyuh

Steve Richardson
06/08/2000, 06:39 PM
I have sent him an e-mail asking if its O.K. to release his e-mail address. Will let you know as soon as I hear from him...

-Steve

Yam
06/09/2000, 03:51 AM
I think you beat me. I bought a d.c. peristaltic pump on ebay for $21. Also, self priming, etc. The cool thing is the rate is controlled by the voltage applied, 6-24V, so it is easy to match evaporation rate if you don't have a float switch, which I have and highly recommend for safety.

Danny

Steve Richardson
06/09/2000, 08:29 AM
Oops. Sorry... left the paperwork at home. He did say he would sell them for $25 each... but he wants folks to go through his buisiness... which is here (Look at the pump in the 'specials' area... thats the one.
http://www.smallpumps.com/smallpumps/index.htm

Sorry for the wait.. again, will post more info this this weekend.

-Steve R

coralhound
06/09/2000, 08:35 AM
steve I am more interested in the float switch that you are talkng about.
thanks
CH

------------------
Please BUY captive bred marine life...
My website: Moon Tide Reefs (http://www.qis.net/~ckkuehn)

Steve Richardson
06/09/2000, 08:45 AM
yes... frankly, I was too. ;)

we get part number, address & phone# for you tonight...

-S

coralhound
06/09/2000, 08:46 AM
thanks Steve

CH

------------------

gas4544
06/09/2000, 09:29 AM
Steve,
You said "Flow rate adjustible by tubing diameter." Do you have a source for the "thermoplastic elastomer tubing" mentioned in the ad for the pump on smallpumps.com site? This pump comes with 9" of tube, but it does eventually fail, doesn't it?

Steve Richardson
06/09/2000, 12:49 PM
gas...

yup. I think (dont quote me here...) that it will fail after about 10,000 hrs pump on time.

It is decidedly not regular tubing. Something like silicone would give up after a few days I would guess. Norprene, I think one is called, one is Teflon-impregnated-something, I think. :/

A small roll of it is $100. But you dont need much... just enough to go through the assembly (as shown) and then couple it with whatever you have.

That same source I mention above sells the small pieces with the insert ends for $1 each. A small kit which contains a different roller and 3 other tubing diameters costs $6.

That pump will go from (I think) 7ml/min up to about 30ml/min by changing the roller and tubing. RPM is constant @ 7 RPM and it is an AC Pump.

My first thought was to go with a small tube, to flow the kalk very slowly. But, 3 key points:

1) The motor on this thing gets pretty warm when it runs for a long time (Hot, actually) Its impedence protected so will not burn out, but I didnt want it on all day.

2) It Hums a bit. Nosier than I would like, but not too bad. Larger tubing flows the kalk faster (30 ml's a minute isnt much anyway), so the pump isnt on nearly as long. Mine seems to stay on for about 30 seconds at a time in my 20G sump.

3) Less pumping time means less wear on the tubing.

I'd reccomend the 1/4" ID tubing. I think its the biggest size that will fit this pump. On a much larger tank (I have a 75) that has much more evaporation (Mine is about a gallon a day) I would consider a larger pump. I actually foung the manufactrers site for this beast (will post), and they have an entire line of them that would fill any dosing need. Probably much more expensive.... The one on this smallpumps site is just being sold as an OEM part.

-Steve

reefskinner
06/09/2000, 04:09 PM
I just checked the site, and it is listed at $40.00 Are we getting a deal for mentioning Reef Central? I would like to order one, and am also interested in the float switch as well.

reefskinner

Steve Richardson
06/09/2000, 07:33 PM
I would e-mail smallpumps.com... and address your e-mail to Ken. This is his e-mail to me:

Steve,
I would be very happy to sell some more pumps. You can direct the interested
buyers to my smallpumps.com web site. Look under "Specials" and you will find
the pump that you purchased listed at $40.00..
The eBay price that you paid is a bit low. I will offer the same pump (with
3/16" ID tube) for $25.00 each.

-Steve

Steve Richardson
06/09/2000, 07:35 PM
For the Float Switch:

Utilities Supply Co.
425 Riverside Ave
Medfrod, MA 02155

Item# 107-82-PP
Price $7.70

I didnt call information to get a phone number.

-S

coralhound
06/09/2000, 09:03 PM
Steve,

what type of float switch is it?
reed?

where did you find it?

CH

------------------

reefskinner
06/09/2000, 10:49 PM
Thanks Steve

reefskinner

Steve Richardson
06/10/2000, 06:53 AM
CH -

Its a little plastic doughnut mounted around a center post. The doughnut floats. I believe the sheath is polypropylene. I just hang it in my sump. (I attached to a piece of PVC, and screwed to the sump wall)

There is another version sealed of something that is *not* polypropylene... same switch... and its $60 I think. Some chemically resistant material... but I havn't seen it, it was described to me by the person that gave me this switch. He has used this one in his reef for years... and the supply house I list above is near his house. I'm going to try and get a catalog from them... he says thay have everything.... mag pumps...ballasts...switches... you name it. He says they are not cheap, but you can find some gems there... like this thing.

hth,

Steve