PDA

View Full Version : Anyone an electrician?

redpyro
03/01/2005, 07:59 PM
I would like to upgrade at some point in the future...however i live in an older house and well lets say my electrial panel can't handle a larger load. My basement is wired seperate from the main panel in the rest of the house. But the basement only has 4 breakers. I need to install a new panel or add breakers to this panel to set up a place for more amps for larger equipment. Anyone done this before or willing to help with such a thing? Even someone to look at it would be great. I am very handy and could wire everything but the panel box its self. I'm not confortable doing that...something about shocking the crap out of myself doesnt sound fun. :eek2:

Slicktrax
03/01/2005, 08:57 PM
i feel your pain, i need a new circuit for my tank, but have no room for expansion in my current box. i wired everything under my tank including a seperate service panel for double protection, but the thought of 200 amps from the main panel scares me to death. when i get motivated to learn or have someone do my circuit, i will pass the info on to you

redpyro
03/01/2005, 09:00 PM
i am fine now, but had hooked up an extra mag 7 a while back when i was messing around, that pushes me over the edge....i am maxed out... i think i have room in my box, but i am not touching it without help...

Slicktrax
03/01/2005, 09:05 PM
do you have 80 amp or 200 amp service

redpyro
03/01/2005, 09:14 PM
i have 2 100 panels but i think the second panel is wired to the first, so really only 100? i'm not sure thats what the inspector guy said when i bought the house

getinjr
03/02/2005, 05:59 PM
hey mat I can add breakers as long as you have extra slots?

redpyro
03/02/2005, 06:01 PM
i will take a picture and let me know what you think, i am pretty sure there are 2 spots...the panel i'm not familair with it doesnt look like a stardard panel...will post later

redpyro
03/02/2005, 06:52 PM
Ok getinjr this is what i have

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/24606panel.jpg

redpyro
03/02/2005, 06:54 PM
the two hole at the bottom, i thought may be for expansion but i think now i might be wrong. Upon inspection those copper conducters in there have wires going to them which in turn run to the brown box in the lower right of the picture which is the breaker box for the AC.

Anyway to add breakers or do i need to upgrade the panel?

getinjr
03/06/2005, 07:40 PM
thats not good news, I do happen to know an electrician that works pretty cheap, this might be over my head!

redpyro
03/06/2005, 07:43 PM
if you happen to see him ask him what he would charge for labor to upgrade service to 200 amp panel, i would have all supplies bought. I really do need to do this at some point anyways. No attic crawling either. panels located in a basement.

do you want to attend meeting tomorrow night?