PDA

View Full Version : Switching tanks

ratimpulse
03/01/2005, 03:16 PM
Ok, my 55 gallon is way to big and i want a smaller tank in my room. Soo im brining all my equipment form my 55 gallon into my 30 gallon. Theres about 40 LBS of live rock in there. When i switch things over should i use the sand & water from the other tank??

Carl_in_Florida
03/01/2005, 03:59 PM
This is a bit of a stickey subject for some but I am willing to dive in. The only problem you may have is with the sand. When you stir it up you will release all kinds of nastiness. I think if you clean the sand you should be ok, otherwise expect a mini cycle.

Carl

ratimpulse
03/01/2005, 04:37 PM
ok, ill clean the sand. Just what wash it off??

Carl_in_Florida
03/01/2005, 04:46 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to get new sand but...
I would get everything out of the tank and then stir the mess out of the sand and then drain the tankwhile vaccuming the sand.

Carl

Sugar Magnolia
03/01/2005, 04:55 PM
I've swapped tanks three times. IMHO it's worth it to use new sand and just seed the new sand with a couple of cupfuls from the established tank. I know it seems like a waste of live sand, but the pros outweigh the cons of keeping it and trying to reuse it vs starting fresh. All those worms, pods, denitrifying bacteria, various other microfauna will die when you clean the sand and start over. Dead/dying stuff = a cycle. See if you can get your hands on some Southdown, or pool filter sand, or even a couple of bags of aragonite sand and go from there. You'll be glad you did. Again, JMO.

Carl_in_Florida
03/01/2005, 05:10 PM
sugar,
What if you clean the sand then let it completely dry out in the sun, rinse it and use it? The die off is not a problem and you hav ethe texture you already like.
Though this could be more trouble than it is worth.

Carl

ratimpulse
03/01/2005, 07:45 PM
I think im going to start off new. But i dont want to get rid of the 2 sabae clowns i have right now. Soo would i be able to get the sand i want add it, then get LS add an inch over the other sand, then put my LR in the tank and add my clowns?? Would that be fine. Or would it still go through cycling and everything. Mind you i will still be using the same water as in my 55 gallon with the same filter. Also how cheap do you get 30 gallons for. I can find them for about 30 here. Also what should i light it with. I plan to keep shrooms, polyps, and maybe a few others but thats it for now.

phergus_25
03/01/2005, 08:31 PM
go with a dual 96 watt PC fixture, or if your in the $$$ go for either a 150 or a 250 MH

ratimpulse
03/01/2005, 08:43 PM
Ok, ill go with the PCS. OMG i passed up the biggest deal of my life. MH combo with ballast and 2 acnic VHO's for 300. Without MH. Only problem going with my mom to stores shes like AHHH and wnt do it. But im thinking about going back and buying it. Cause the MSRP on those htings are like $600.

cncmastr
03/03/2005, 01:00 PM
I am in a similar situation. I am going from my old 12g Nano Cube to the new 12g Nano DX custom.

Should I purchase 20Lbs of new LS and add a few cups of my old LS?

Sugar Magnolia
03/03/2005, 03:18 PM
Yeppers! That would be the best way to go.