PDA

View Full Version : March Meeting announcement

dgasmd
03/01/2005, 11:48 AM
Guys, PBMAS will be holding our March meeting at Greg's (GregM779) house. Greg has a gorgeous 125g tank that is certainly not to be missed. For a snak preview, you can go to the link below.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?
s=&threadid=152787

The meeting will be held March 26th at 6 PM. A saturday as usual. We hope to see you all there. As usual, please RSVP with the host and see if there anything you can bring like snacks and such. It makes it much easier on the host. Please contact Greg directly for directions/questions.

Also, if there is anyone you know that may be interested in our club, please bring them along. We are steadily growing and have quite a few exciting things planned for the summer. If you haven't formally joined, there will be applications on site and your card will be handed on site too. There are so many benefits that not joining makes no sense whatsoever. Some of them include discounts at LFS and online stores that in just a few months will pay for much more than your membership. If you have any questions about the membership and the club, just email me directly.

Alberto
PBMAS Magno Prezidento:lol:

GregM779
03/01/2005, 02:19 PM
I also wanted to mention that I'll have about 10 pizzas from Sal's (I get them for free and Sherry is nice enough to pick them up for me so don't worry about it). That doesn't mean don't eat dinner but I will have some food and drinks.
Also, anyone with frags to trade should post here if you want to trade @ the meeting. I don't mean only with me but with anyone, so that everyone knows what to bring.
Also, I think everyone should bring pictures if possible, maybe we could put a few pics from everyones tanks in a book and take it to the meetings so that when we talk about stuff in our tanks when can actually show it also. Just an idea.
I hope everyone can make it and if not you can let me know if you want to come by another time to check out the system.
And as Alberto would say bring your dues because the club does need money to get going and you can start getting it back with discounts sooner.
This is the link the one above doesn't work.

Greg's 125 Reef (http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152787)

Vaigod
03/01/2005, 11:39 PM
Also, I think everyone should bring pictures if possible, maybe we could put a few pics from everyones tanks in a book and take it to the meetings so that when we talk about stuff in our tanks when can actually show it also.

I think that is a GREAT idea. It'll give everyone a little bit of time to show off their stuff. Maybe we could all do a little book on our tanks and pass them around at one of the meetings. Kind of like a "Show and Tell" with pictures.

dgasmd
03/02/2005, 08:27 AM
Given 100% of our members frequent this forum even though they may not reply to everything, wouldn't it be easier to just do a thread here with your tank and then have a post under the PBMAS forum with all the links?

GregM779
03/02/2005, 08:54 AM
Good idea even if people do have hard copies it would be nice to see pics and get an idea on tanks. I'll start a thread with mine and anyone is welcome to join, I finally uploaded all of my pics to RC.

GregM779
03/03/2005, 09:13 AM
Hey Alberto a couple of questions about your tank. First, can I bring my snorkel and mask to the April meeting and take a quick dive? Second, are you worried about your fish melting under that much light? J/K Awesome Setup, I can't wait to see it, the equipment is going to take a meeting by itself.

TimD
03/03/2005, 12:23 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I have some small violet mushrooms for trade. Right now I have three shrooms in a cup waiting for them to attach to some pieces of rock, and a rather large colony of them on another larger rock, but I'm a newb when it comes to handling the corals... I just put 'em in the tank and look at them. The ones that I have attaching to rocks now are ones that apparently decided the original rock was too crowded, and decided to find a better neighborhood, so I herded them into a cup with some sand and rock pieces and rubberbanded a piece of netting over the whole thing and set it on the bottom of the tank.

I've had a couple people express interest in swaps, and I wouldn't mind trying to separate a few more specimens for trading if someone with the knowledge and patience to walk me through removing them from their current rock and transplanting them wants to give me a hand.

Do I just slice them off the rock and net them onto another rock and wait for them to attach, or is there a way to "coax" them to let go naturally? I was thinking a careful cut with a sharp blade would do the trick, it worked for a toadstool leather I have - it was looking limp and brown for a few days, so I cut the top off and left the base of the stalk, which is now growing new tentacles and looks to be recovering nicely... I just wouldn't want to kill anything unnecessarily or make a huge mess of the tank.

Ludwigia73
03/03/2005, 03:33 PM
That's exactly how you do it. Slice them off at the base, and net it to a rock, or better, put crushed coral in a little tupperware, drop the shrooms in, put netting over the tupperware. Wherever the shrooms land, they'll form a base and attach to the crushed coral. Once they're attached, superglue the cc to the rock, and they'll stay there for a while. By the way, if you didn't notice the other thread, I'll take 2 off your hands in trade for a nice tonga mushroom. It just doesn't fit the color scheme of the tank, and I got it as a trade for something I wanted even less.

TimD
03/03/2005, 03:56 PM
I'll see about fragging a couple more of the small ones this weekend, and hopefully have enough to trade for a couple different things. Does the same thing apply to fragging ricordeas? I have about half a dozen nice purple and orange ricordeas of considerable size, but they're all jammed next to each other in two different nooks in the rock, so they're crowding each other. I read somewhere else that if you point a powerhead at the base of them for a while, they'll decide to give up and let go, and you can catch and reattach them.

RicksReefs
03/04/2005, 12:45 AM
are these rocks removable? i could swing by and show you
how to pop them off and still leave enough base material for
glueing right onto a new rock.

TimD
03/04/2005, 07:17 AM
Well, the main rock that the biggest part of the colony is on has a couple that seem to have attached themselves to two different rocks, making it kind of dicey to move the rock without just tearing some of the shrooms. Gotta run to work, but I'll shoot you a PM later, maybe we can meet up this weekend and give it a try getting some separated.

Ludwigia73
03/04/2005, 01:37 PM
That's the easiest way to get them to multiply! Just take an exacto knife, and slice between the two rocks. For every one you slice, you'll end up with 2 rics.

TimD
03/04/2005, 02:06 PM
Cool. Like I said, I've never really done anything with them before except my efforts to save my toadstool. Otherwise, I prefer to touch or interfere with the corals as little as possible. I'm expecting to try and frag a few more pieces off this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to make a few trades at the meeting.

GregM779
03/04/2005, 04:35 PM
I'm always looking for cool colored ricordias

KING OF THE REEF
03/05/2005, 12:08 AM
hey guys i am selling my acroporas they are all brown darn i will take 50bux for all or trades let me know if you want pictures ok but i will considder offers lol. thanks guys. i can email only cause of my sofware thing atm.

dgasmd
03/11/2005, 06:16 PM
I just wanted to bump this up and remind everyone that the March meetng is coming up. Great things at this meeting. We have a couple of gift certificates to raffle off and a few other things, but you need to be a paying member and be present to participate.

Also, some people have vioced their interest in putting together a group buy from an online vendor. I believe that Gayle (bocaswim) has been very interested and I believe is heading that. If you are interested, please give her a shout so she can inform you and add you to the list of interested people.

See you at Greg's.

Ludwigia73
03/11/2005, 08:04 PM
Newest paying member here... I'll be giving my dues this meeting! Thanks for the freebie last meeting... Good people, good company!

dgasmd
03/16/2005, 12:30 PM
Just a bump for a reminder. I hear Greg even did a load of laundry and may even have picked up a few things in his house LOL................ Bring anyone you know that may be interested.

GregM779
03/16/2005, 08:52 PM
actually I just finished the koi pond and did 2 loads of landry.

dgasmd
03/21/2005, 02:37 PM
Just wanted to bump/update this thread.

By the way, the topic of discussion for this week is Ca reactors. If you ahve some questions about them in particulat that you want me to cover or discuss in particular, please email it to me so I can bring it up possibly research your answer if I don't know it.

dgasmd at netscape dot net