PDA

View Full Version : a shocking experience

Allyson
01/01/2002, 03:22 PM
We installed our power compacts last night. Lights on--I put my finger in the water and ping, got a little shock. OK so I know we should have grounded it and we're all (my husband, I, my fish) VERY lucky not to have gotten a major jolt. We're a bit skittish about playing with electric sockets. Does anyone know a good electrician near the Mountain View area? I know there was a good series of posts on this (GFCI? was that the acronym?) as to which ground was the best to get. For example, we want one that will start again after interrupting the short so that the tank doesn't die from being shut down if we are away. I'll look for the post again but if someone knows how to get to it quickly, I'd appreciate the url or some good keyword to help me find it.

Many thanks,

Allyson

P.S.Whew! What a scare!

Tenner
01/01/2002, 10:01 PM
Allyson,

For help with electical questions I would speak with Phillip from our club. I will email you his address.

Matthew

SunfishFun
01/01/2002, 11:40 PM
Hi Allyson -

1) Word of warning - if you have PC lights with a grounding wire to connect to the ballast, be careful which screw you attach it to. DO NOT unscrew the side screws, as this will disassemble something inside. (Yes, I did this and had to send ballast back to the company.) Instead, you should use a screw on a small side, like near where the switches are.

2) Glad Matthew gave you electrician referral. However, if all you're doing is changing regular outlet to GFCI, it is SO EASY. I had a book detailing how to do it and phoned club member (thanks Russ!) b/c I was paranoid, but the directions in the GFCI package are all you really need. Just unscrew and connect a couple wires where the picture shows.
In my old house, no circuit is properly grounded, but at least the GFCI will trip the tank's circuits if water gets to them. I have never heard of one that will automatically reset. If you find out about it, please post here!

3) Glad you were not hurt!

RustySnail
01/07/2002, 09:28 AM
Noticed that you are concerned about a GFCI fault while on vacation...

FWIW, consider the bigger picture. If there is a short in your system, would you really want the GFCI to reset and ignore it under any circumstance? We are talking about the possibility of your home burning down (which will also kill a reef tank), putting both you and your fish out of a home. Not to mention if something were to go wrong during nightime (an even more scary thought). If you are gone more than a weekend, I would ask a neighbor to look in on your system/feed, and give them a phone numbers of a fellow reefkeeper, aquarium service, family, etc. just in case something goes wrong.

Another thing to think about is power failures. Since my crummy RIO powerhead needs to be primed to start, I have it plugged into a power strip that needs a manual reset after a power outtage. I'd rather turn it on manually instead of it burning up in the tank (because it would not start itself). If my skimmer shuts down, that is not a problem for a week or so.

In additio to a GFCI, I suggest a titanium ground probe. When used together it pretty much eliminates the possibility of getting shocked. If there is a short, it will ground to the probe immediately and shut things down (instead of 'running hot' until you put your hands in the tank).

Hope that helps...