PDA

View Full Version : "Survivors" Article

stevelasik
02/28/2005, 01:52 PM
First, I wanted to thank you for writing such an insightful article. It made for some great lunch-break reading.

I've been keeping marine aquariums to some extent for almost 20 years now, and have experienced exactly what you spoke of regarding the temperature & salinity "recommended" by nearly every book and LFS. All of these years, I had no reason to doubt these recommendations, especially considering their consistency among people I considered to be experts (or at the very least were passing along information from reliable sources).

I knew that both a temperature of 76F and specific gravity of 1.022 were lower than natural reef conditions, but was reassured that a lower temperature would "reduce the growth of undesirable types of algae", and a lower salinity would "reduce stress" in captive marine fish.

After reading your "Survivors" article, I decided to gradually adjust the temperture to 81F, and specific gravity to 1.025 in my nano-reef. After just 3 weeks of new conditions, I've noticed a remarkable change in most of the organisms in my tank. The fish & particularly the crabs are more active, the xenia pulse at a higher rate, and all of my soft & hard corals seem fuller. I have a small tree/leather coral (Paralemnalia sp.) that rarely opened before, and now is open and full about 90% of the time.

The biggest difference I noticed is in the animals resiliency after stress. Previously, when I performed a water change the fish became very nervous & darted around, the cleaner shrimp would hide for hours and refuse to eat for a day, and most of the corals would close or shrink up for as long as three days afterward. Since adjusting my temp & salinity, every animal in the tank is back to normal appearance within an hour of changing the water.

It shouldn't be so remarkable that adjusting the two most basic water parameters and placing these animals in conditions closer to their natural origin would create such results. What I cannot understand is why more of the folks responsible for promoting fish & reef keeping have not figured this out? How did these myths ever get started, and why are they so hard to break?

Anyway, thank you again for helping to improve the lives of the hobbyists as well as the animals involved by conveying accurate & scientifically supported information, and I hope more will realize the error of the "old ways".

rshimek
02/28/2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Steve,

[welcome]

It is amazing to watch the difference in the animals, isn't it? :D

I really don't know how the myths about conditions got started. However it happened, the folks who started it must have been missing a few of the logic circuits...

Glad you liked the article!

stevelasik
02/28/2005, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the welcome note! I've been reading ReefCental and Reef Keeping Online for quite some time now, but this is the first time I felt compelled to write you guys.

Had another question: Below is the roster of my nano-reef tank. In know it is very full of life (maybe too full), and I was looking for your input on the compatibility of all the animals, and whether you had any warnings of impending problems. All of them are getting along very well now, and the tank has been set up for just over a year now. I don't see any aggression between the corals, or between the two fish.

Tank size: 6 gallons
Lighting: 32W PC, 50/50
Circulation: 75gph filter pump return, 90gph power head
Substrate: 2" sugar sand
Live rock: approx. 10 pounds
Filter: Bio-wheel w/ floss & carbon filter pad
Supplements: Tropic Marin Bio-calcium dosed weekly to maintain dKH ~ 10, calcium 400.

Roster (all of the corals have been grown out from small frags):
1. (3) Blue-leg hermit crabs (2/04, $9)
2. (1) Scarlet cleaner shrimp (3/04, $25)
3. (1) Green star polyp colony (4/04, $10)
4. (2) Red Sea xenia colonies (4/04, $15)
5. (1) Yellow zoanthid colony (4/04, $25)
6. (1) Brown-green zoanthid colony (4/04, $5)
7. (1) Neon-green zoanthid (Protopalythoa) colony (6/04, $10)
8. (1) Metallic-green waving star polyp colony (7/04, $15)
9. (1) Mint green ricordea mushroom colony (7/04, $5)
10. (1) Blue mushroom colony (7/04, $5)
11. (3) Jumbo nassarius snails (10/04, $18)
12. (2) Red mushroom colony (11/04, $5)
13. (1) Green branching hammer coral (11/04, $20)
14. (1) Red-leg hermit crab (12/04, $8)
15. (1) Ocellaris clownfish (10/04, $30)
16. (1) Orange w/green & purple zoanthid colony (12/04, $1)
17. (1) Sally-lightfoot crab (12/04, $18)
18. (1) Tree coral (Paralemnalia sp.) (1/05, $15)
19. (1) African flameback angelfish (01/05, $85)

Thank you so much for your time,
Steve Lasik, Denver, CO