PDA

View Full Version : possible skilter mod. sound worthy??

clown fanatic
02/27/2005, 09:29 PM
ok so for christmas i asked for a skilter :o . yea as you can probably guess it sucked, i took it off my 29 and i now have a remora PRO running on it (got it for the same price as the classic)

well seeing all of these water bottle skimmers has got me thinking. if i just run the skilter the way it is...wouldnt adding an airstone in like you would a water bottle skimmer increase the skimming alot. seems to me it could make this skilter a worthy skimmer.

o yea i have some sponged laying around that i have stuffed towards the bottom of the skilter so that it will help prevent massive bubble storms. i hung it on the front of my tank and it worked pretty good. all i have to do now is go out to petsmart or something and get this pump and airstone. btw what airstone should i get isnt it called a limewood or something like that???

well give me your thoughts

skipm
02/28/2005, 12:35 PM
The wood airstones are made of limewood.
Adding an airstone would increase its efficiency some but the main problem is the short contact time between the air bubbles and the water because of the short reaction chamber. Modding it may make it work okay for a small tank with a light bioload but if you have a high bioload you will need to think about upgrading. HTH, Skip

AJP
02/28/2005, 12:37 PM
Why are you trying to mod this, do you want another tank? I would think the remora pro could handle a 29 just fine.

clown fanatic
02/28/2005, 08:15 PM
to be truthful im trying this mod because the other day i got a free 10gallon from my LFS just for being one of the 50 1st people to walk in thier door:D . i just recently bought a occellaris and am trying to cross breed it with my maroon. i was thinking if things dont work out ill just plop him in my 10 gallon.i had this skilter just laying around from christmas and i thought hey why not. i would definatly love a remora! but im not looking for my parents to give me any financial support on this project so remora is looking alot more expensive. my bio load would probably be a pair of percs or occellaris and some zoos.

btw if your wondering my occellaris seems to be doing fine and the maroon has shown very little agression and has not hurt the little occellaris. he is hosting in one of my corals, i think its called a hairy mushroom :confused: i forget. dont let that throw you off im taking awesome care of it. i took a picture of the little guy and maybe i could post it. rezing pictures is a pain!!!

gcrowptc
03/01/2005, 08:32 PM
I have seen threads where you can mod the reaction chamber also, just do a search here and keep looking

Agu
03/02/2005, 10:02 AM
It's not difficult to add an airstone to a skilter and it works slightly better than the air intake in the skilter. It however depends on the airstone and airump. If you do this mod leave the old air intake attached and submerge it in the skilter. The air intake also creates circular motion which increases contact time for the bubbles.

hth,
Agu

clown fanatic
03/02/2005, 09:43 PM
what kind of air pump would you suggest?