PDA

View Full Version : Quick Disconnects

fade2black
05/03/2000, 02:49 PM
I was just up at the local Radio Shack looking for something to use as a quick disconnect for the hood I'm building. The guy there was absolutely no help at all. I found some banana plugs but I'm not sure if you can use those for 110V. I know there are a few of you that have built your own hoods, what did you use?

F2B

bennym
05/03/2000, 04:06 PM
Fade2Black

I just posted a question re: the same topic about 2 weeks ago. Try search to find the replies I got.

Now the bad news. The local Radio Shack didn't have anything in stock that would be of use (they do have quick diconnects but they only handle 1 wire - imagine the mess I would have since I have 3 lights wired independently plus a fan). The guy suggested trying RadioShack.com but they are revamping the web site. Couldn't find anything that would work without buying a whole assortment of stuff. Descriptions/pictures were missing on a bunch of items. RadioShacks' idea of pictures is to take a picture of a collection of similar items and use it for about 30 different items. Their search engine is not working and doesn't find anything - I found a male Molex plug that I think would work, but of course I couldn't find a female plug.

Hope you have better luck.

Mark

scs
05/04/2000, 08:31 AM
Went to a "real" electronics store and found single plugs that would accomodate from 4 to twelve wires. Purchased one that would take 12 and got out the soldering gun. Made all connections and sealed with silicone. Let dry and fired them up. Just a flash of light and then smoke. Direct short at one of the connections. May have just not gotten the silicone in good enough but decided to go with seperate plugs for each light. Found small (1/4 by 1) three prong plugs at the same store and they work great. Would have preferred the single but my limited electronic knowledge and DIY skills prevented it. May try it again another time.
hth
steve

Phillstone
05/04/2000, 07:03 PM
Radio Shack:
#274-236 6 conductor female nylon connector $1.39 ea
#274-226 6 conductor male nylon connector $1.39 ea

I just finished putting these quick connects on over the weekend. The salesclerk (kid) was clueless to what I was asking for and told me they didn't exist - funny thing is they had lots in stock hanging on their rack go figure. They also had them in stock with 9 conductor. I know they used to carry 12 pin also ( I used to use them for A/C controls)

HTH Phill

[This message has been edited by Phillstone (edited 05-04-2000).]