View Full Version : Gerbers - good stuff

redpyro
02/27/2005, 11:12 AM
Yes indeed i always get good stuff at gerbers

http://www.mrlevek.com/greenfingerleather.htm

www.mrlevek.com

kidk3
02/27/2005, 12:02 PM
Gerbers is a crappy *** store IMO. His stuff is 4-10x more than other local stores and most the time the health is poor. I also hear that he treats his tanks with copper ,but this is just somethign I heard not something I know

atreis
02/27/2005, 12:14 PM
IMO Gerbers is very good for fish, but not so good for corals. I've never heard of them using copper. Jack's uses copper in their fish displays though. (They actually warned me not to let their water get into mine because of it.)

redpyro
02/27/2005, 12:20 PM
Jacks has told me that also.

Subrafta
02/27/2005, 01:08 PM
Gerbers is a great store to have locally.

They have a much broader selection of fish than anyplace I've found, and you get to see everything they've got (the good, the bad, and the ugly). The staff is helpful, and much more knowledgeable than anyone I've talked to at Jacks, etc.

Pricewise, they're never going be cheap as long as they try to be both wholesalers and retailers. As a wholesaler the fastest way to lose your business customers is to undercut their retail prices.

That said, you have to wonder when you find cheaper fish at Aquarium Adventure... ;-)

A fair compromise would be for Gerbers to have more than a 24-hour guarantee if they're going to keep their prices high. Especially since they do have some very sick fish in their "retail" displays.

As far as their selection of coral goes... well, that's why we have Phishy Business in Columbus and Marine Solutions in Lytle... ;-)

John

redpyro
02/27/2005, 03:23 PM
can you post directions and hours to Marine Solutions, i would like to check them out

btw here is a bit of a ritorical question
Aquarium Adventure...assuming we are talking about the same on in COlumbis (on sawmill road) i have been there twice, once about 2 years ago as i first started into the hobby and once last week. They have freaking amazing floor displays. But there retail salttanks well need some work. Diatom city, more like it. They advertise tank maintance and their tanks look like mine did after 3 months of operation. I am always scared to buy especially from a place so far away when their tanks look terrible. I was VERY dissappointed when i was in last week. It was an ugly site.

atreis
02/27/2005, 03:35 PM
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/

They have a link to MapQuest on their home page that will help you find them. They're near Waynesville, which is a ways above Lebanon along 42.

redpyro
02/27/2005, 03:44 PM
about much farther south from gerbers? lets say if i left gerbers how long would it take to get to marine solutiions?

daytonreefRob
02/27/2005, 03:55 PM
Depending on traffic, you are between 20 and 30 minutes from Gerbers to Marine Solutions.

redpyro
02/27/2005, 03:58 PM
i will have check it out sometime

Subrafta
02/27/2005, 04:02 PM
Marine Solutions is South and East from Gerbers, near Waynesville. Here's a Google Maps link, which will gen up directions to or from Marine Solutions from anywhere you want: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=5012%20lytle%20rd%2C%20waynesville%2C%20ohio&spn=0.386719%2C0.513831

Their fish selection isn't as broad as Gerbers, but it's pretty nice. Lots and lots of frags in their greenhouse section, and some nice clams last time I was in. Don't look for a big sign by the road. There's just a fish (bass?) hanging from the mailbox.

Joe is very active in the CincyReef group, and will probably be supportive of our group if we can get our act together. He's a great guy to talk to, without the odd personality issues that have been reported at some of the other LFS's.

Der Dutchman is just up the road if you want some good, cheap Amish food.

John

Subrafta
02/27/2005, 04:13 PM
Re: Aquarium Adventures

I usually go to the one in Mason since a friend drives down to pick up his kids each week. I like their selection of tanks, and the occasional coupon they send out brings the tank and stand prices down to a reasonable level. The only livestock I've purchased there has been some $15 xenia frags and a $3 loose shroom.

John

redpyro
02/27/2005, 04:31 PM
i didnt know there was more than one, where is the one in mason?

kidk3
02/27/2005, 05:31 PM
I just never could get past the fact that gerbers sells stalks of xenia for $30 and mushroom rocks for $50. I went one day and was looking at a gonipora about 2" across.He wanted $60 , I go into the back display tank area and he has one that is about 6-7" across for the same price.

Again $50 for gsp and $30+ for xenia is just retarded

Subrafta
02/27/2005, 07:35 PM
Here's the AA store in Mason. It's located right next to a high end scrapbooking store in an upscale strip mall.

http://www.aquariumadventure.com/locations.htm

kidk3 -- yeah, I left the $30 xenia behind too (didn't see the $50 GSP). I wonder if they buy local frags? If they do 1/3 retail in-store credit I might have to set up a GSP prop tank... ;-)

But Jack's prices aren't much better (never bought there).

Marine Solutions has much better prices for coral -- $15 for most soft, $20-30 for SPS frags.

John

Absint Reefer
02/28/2005, 03:34 PM
we DO NOT USE COPPER in any of our systems and I will talk to John about extending the guarantee

kidk3
02/28/2005, 04:33 PM
I'll take carson on his word he works there the stuff I heard came from second hand sources etc..

adickerson0
03/02/2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Carson Lee
we DO NOT USE COPPER in any of our systems and I will talk to John about extending the guarantee

I know that they hold stock for a week or so. This lets you keep the fish at the store to see if it will live.