PDA

View Full Version : larrys 5 1/2 gal refugum

aLittletank
04/26/2000, 06:03 PM
Larry you removed the front pane of glass from your 5 1/2 gal to drill for bulk heads.

two questions
how did you reseal the plexi to the glass?

would you do this again or would you have the glass drilled by a local glass shop?

I am contemplating the same set up for my system so any of your thoughts or experiences would be great to hear/read

Thanks
Allen

Q-ball
04/26/2000, 07:20 PM
Hey Allen, I just built one out of a 5 or 6g plastic hermit crab home that I got at the local pet store. It works great! I drilled the hole for the bulkhead with a simple holesaw, ran an overflow from a small powerhead through rubber hose up to a U-tube into the tank. So far so good!

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

aLittletank
04/26/2000, 11:00 PM
Q if you dont want the hose to go below the water line (can't see why not) you could try a peice of plexi at a 45% angle to have the water slide down into your tank. (just like pouring a nice cold beer into a tall glass :D)

Hope this helps
Allen

portelli
04/27/2000, 07:06 AM
I plan on doing the same thing larry did. I'm going to try and drill the glass myself first. If I break it I'll put in acrylic. I have thought of just getting one of those plastic tanks though.

Q-ball
04/27/2000, 10:14 AM
Hey, question to Larry, or anybody else that's done this. My refugium is above my tank, and the return is a plastic hose that ends just above the water level. The problem is that there is quite a bit of splashing from this, and I was wondering what you've done to avoid this? TIA

Q

------------------

Q-ball
04/27/2000, 12:32 PM
Allen, thanks, I was thinking of that. I don't mind the hose going into the tank, other than the fact that I'm trying to avoid the bubbles that come with it. Now, the slide idea might just work, I may be able to hook something up like that. Thanks,

Q

------------------