PDA

View Full Version : Urchin Vs. Frags

essop3
02/26/2005, 06:41 PM
I have a short spined urchin that likes to carry small rocks around. I wouldn't care but a few of my frags are on small rocks. I have thought about glueing the rocks down but a few I want in hard to glue places.

Any ideas?

1package
02/26/2005, 06:48 PM
Lose the urchin - the large snails cause a similar problem - I got rid of all of them.

LowCel
02/26/2005, 06:58 PM
I agree with Lloyd, get rid of the Urchin. The only other choice is to either glue or epoxy all of your corals down.

essop3
02/26/2005, 06:58 PM
Would a long spined do the same?

LowCel
02/26/2005, 07:30 PM
The majority of the time yes. There are always exceptions though.

mcox33
02/26/2005, 10:12 PM
just break out the super glue gel. Glue everything down or trade him in for a smaller one (that's what I usually do)

essop3
02/28/2005, 10:28 PM
I hoped there would be a diffrent answer. (knew there wouldn't be) So does anyone want it? Free to good home, maybe trade for some macro or a little live sand if you have it.

MattG
03/01/2005, 09:27 AM
i might be interested in it. What exactly is a short spined urchin? If its a tuxedo then im definetly interested.

essop3
03/01/2005, 02:20 PM
just plain green lookin. covered in yellowish spines. do a google search for "green sea urchin" and you will find pics.

Poseidon's Vortex
03/06/2005, 03:50 AM
Hang on to your urchin essop3!

At least until you check out this thread and PM ME.. I have something interesting to show you essop3

I have a new product that's about to hit the market that will allow you to keep that urchin! :) I don't mind my snails and urchins crawling on everything, the reason I found this thread is I read somewhere that Urchins eat Corraline? I dont want them cleaning out my corraline. Im trying to get that to grow.. Anyone know if this is true? I have black urchins that I got with my TBS LR.

Originally posted by LowCel
I agree with Lloyd, get rid of the Urchin. The only other choice is to either glue or epoxy all of your corals down.

Not True! I have come up with a new mounting system that is really going to be great for us Reefers... I have come up with another choice...other than superglue and epoxy alone.

I've got a solution that will allow you to let just about any creature crawl on your frags, and they will stay put.. No Drilling out or Dowling needed..No ugly mounting system either as you can see in the pictures my mounting system is almost invisible.

You can also move them around WITHOUT regluing them EVERY time. You can remove larger coral colonies for fragging and then simply place right back onto the system again WITHOUT RE_Gluing the colony base!

You can even exchange places in the tank with other corals, say if they arent happy in a spot, since my mounting system is interchangeble so it works with every one of your mountable inhabitants.

you can mount Large Coral Colonies, clams, coral rubble, corals themselves, and even Live Rock to Live Rock with this system. Dr Mac Is currently beta testing my system, I am eargerly yet confidently awaiting his results this week.

I described it to him and he is very interested in it as well and thinks this idea has GREAT promis. I would have to agree. I have been using this system in my display tank for over a month with great success. It really does work great!

Urchin Smirchin... Check this out...Here is a clam with a LARGE snail on it, and it's holding like a champ with my new mounting system. I came up with this mounting idea because my turbo snails kept crawing UNDERNEATH my frags and FAVIA tipping both over. Also my fish would hit my Orange Tree constantly because he is placed in the shade near a cave, i used to find it tipped over all the time, not anymore :)

http://www.nautilusreef.com/assets/images/snailonclam2.jpg

Here is another shot showing the clam mounted with this system on a ledge. He has been happly adhered on this spot for weeks with all kinds of stuff crawling on him, fish hitting him and he is still firm. This clam is NOT adhered with his OWN glue leg.

http://www.nautilusreef.com/assets/images/maximamounted.jpg

PM me and I will send more infor if anyone is interested.