PDA

View Full Version : yard Q

H2OLUVSME
02/26/2005, 03:48 PM
how do you guys keep the clovers from taking over your yards? my grass hasnt started growing, but i have one of the only green yards in the neighborhood, thanks to the clovers B-]

bugshop
02/26/2005, 03:56 PM
We had the same problem before moving here.
The only thing I found that worked was "Weed B Gone"
I think it's made by Ortho.

Timmy

BubbaPhish
02/26/2005, 09:04 PM
Landon,
What to use depends on the type of grass you have in your yard. weed-B-Gone will work as Timmy said. There is also one from Weed-B-Gone specifically for clover. It's called
Ortho® Weed-B-Gon® Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer for Lawns.
Please read the directions and cautions on anything you put out.If you use the wrong type of weed controol it can kill your grass. Also it is a good time of year to put out a fertilizer with weed control in it. However, I would first eradicate the clover before fertilizing. You may need to treat your yard 2-3 times before the problem goes away.
If you can tell me what kind of grass you have, I can lead you in a better direction as to what to use on the clover without damaging your grass. I have Emerald Zoysia in my yard and I just put out Scott's Bonus S with weed control. The Zoysia is nice usually grows so thick it chokes out all weeds but I just laid the sod last year and had a few weeds while it was filling in. I am anxious to see what it does his year. I have noticed that it is moving into my neighbors yard and taking over his Centipede grass.
Good Luck,
Kevin

H2OLUVSME
02/28/2005, 05:00 PM
im not sure what the grass i have is. i was told its centipede but thats coming srom a neighbor who didnt reaslly sound like he knew what he was talking about. ill try and ask a few other people as every one in tha hood has the same grass (except the guy that told me i had centipede).

BubbaPhish
02/28/2005, 06:50 PM
Centipede would be a good guess, that stuff is everywhere and is fairly cheap to purchase, about $65 a pallet (500 sq.ft.). Everybody inmy neighborhood has it. It is faorly common for centipede to get weeds and such in it. If you have trouble figuring out what it is you can always take a little of it to thelocal Clemson extension office. They are a great resource that alot people don't even know about. They also do soil anaylsis too......help figure out what types of fertilizer and soil conditioners your tard needs. They can help you out if you get stuck.
I went with Zoysia for my yard. Grows slow, very thick and chokes out almost all weeds. When barefoot it feels like you are walking on pllows. Kinds feels like having my own little golf course. Everybody in my neighborhood has centipede, and all of them have some sort of weed problem except for 1 or 2 yards, and they are fanatics about yard work.......I am not. I fertilize 2-3 times a year using a weed control/fertilizer product and since my grass grows slow I only have to mow my yard about every 3-4 weeks in the warm months.

Kevin

bugshop
02/28/2005, 07:33 PM
Hey Landon,
Why don't you post a Pic.? LOL

Timmy

BubbaPhish
02/28/2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah!!! That might help. Please forgive my spelling and ramblings. I don't sleep on Monday's when I get home from the night shift.

Kevin