PDA

View Full Version : I Just Cant Stand It Anymore

Travis L. Stevens
02/25/2005, 12:28 PM
Hehe. Now that I may have your attention. I just can't stand it anymore. I've gotten a little impatient and I think I have learned enough information to at least start something simple.

Here are my plans:

2.5g Mini-Bowfront
I'm not sure, but about 5 lbs of live rock or whatever fills it up nice and evenly.
2" sandbed

Livestock:
Possibly a shrimp of some sort OR a TINY fish (But probably not).
A little cleanup crew (like a couple snails and a couple hermits)
Some soft corals of some sort. (IE Mushrooms, xenia, ricordia, zooanthids, etc.)

The purposed of this tank is to get experience with taking care of a saltwater tank and to use it as a grow out tank. Maybe I can grow enough that I can trade in to a LFS to help get my 125g setup.

All advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Frags of corals that are getting too big for your tank are welcome. *Tries to look innocent*:lol:

Travis, Sonya, and Taylor Stevens

PS If I could buy about 3g of water and a cup of sand from an established aquarium, I would be very thankful. Send a PM if interested.

pwhitby
02/25/2005, 01:26 PM
Travis,

Unless you have a desire to toture yourself with daily water changes, lack of light, heat issues......at least do a 10 or 20g. They are far easier to keep. Less issues with lights, heat and stuff, and just overall easier.

Paul.

ZC
02/25/2005, 07:49 PM
I acctually have that same 2.5 mini bow that you are talking about, it used to be a nano reef cause i thought it would be cool to have something that small, but come to find out it's a pain! At petsmart they have a 7 gal bow that's not much more than the 2.5. I would suggest that if you want something small go with the 7 gal, it's still a pretty big commitment, but it will be a little less trouble than the 2.5. But that's just my opinion

Travis L. Stevens
02/26/2005, 12:01 AM
Actually, your worries need not be. I just remembered that I have a 10g in storage. So I will go with a 10g tank instead. Now I can use some of that Southdown to use. Though I can't fit 210lbs in the 10g aquarium.

My plan is to use natural filtration with sand and live rock, but still have a hang on the back "filter" and convert it into a refugium instead. I hope to have it up ASAP. Ive had a few PMs with help on this tank. I could have the tank set up by Monday.

Travis L. Stevens
02/26/2005, 04:49 PM
I went and bought a stand for the 10g at Ultimate Reefs. You know the one. The black plastic ones. $30 seems to be a good start. Im going to order some of the 50/50 10k 20w (might be 10-15w) PC bulbs to replace the incandescent ones that I have on there now.

Would anyone be willing to donate a few soft coral frags to help me get going? I will be more than happy to frag them back just as soon as they get big enough. Pulsing Xenia, Mushrooms, Ricordia, and Zoanthids are ALL welcome and are number one on my wish list, but any frag that can survive under the conditions of lower light would still be welcomed with a warm heart.

jnichols
02/28/2005, 09:36 AM
Travis, I think that there are plenty of us out here that will donate some softies to your new tank, however, I would give it a few weeks and let the thing cycle before attempting to put any coral in there. JMO

Travis L. Stevens
02/28/2005, 05:33 PM
Oh definitely, that was just a heads up. I dont have anything set up yet at all. No water. Lanamarks has decided to help me with my tank. I'm going to buy her 10g of premixed RODI water and she is going to give me 10g of her 100g tanks water if everything goes according to plan. That should help assure that there is sufficient bioload of bacteria already in the water in hopes of reducing cycle time when I add live rock. Im also hoping to get a cup of her sand to add to my tank as well. Either tonight or tomorrow I will be rearranging the house a little bit to put up the tank and I will start progress pictures

jnichols
03/01/2005, 09:21 AM
Sounds good Travis :) Keep us informed.

Travis L. Stevens
03/02/2005, 01:14 PM
Just a little update. I have everything set up now. Well mostly. I have the tank, stand, DIY refugium, and other dry goods setup. I have the sand in the bottom at roughly 1.5" sandbed. Now Im waiting on a time to get the water and a cup of sand. Then it's off to the LFS to buy some Live Rock, and I should be sitting pretty. Once the hopefully small cycle will pass, I will put in a cleanup crew.

Now here's the bad news. I have tons of pictures of my progress, but now my computer at home is broke so I can't put them up for everyone to see. If anyone knows where I can find someone cheap and reliable to figure out what is wrong with my computer, let me know.

quaz
03/02/2005, 10:50 PM
Hey Travis, sounds like you're going to get this ten gal. up and running. Fun.
Come on in to the store and we can hook you up with some rock, live sand w/ critters and there is a cool light I want you to check out. perfect for a ten gal.
Look forward to seeing your progress

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2005, 03:48 PM
I would like to see it, but there is no promises that I will buy. =P I have everything I need setup but the water and liverock really. I don't expect a very large cycle at all but thats where I will most likely have to do my shopping, the cleanup crew.

What is everyone's personal favorite when it comes to cleanup crew critters?

I was thinking a few blue AND red legged hermits to mix it up and a few (i think it was called this) astrea snails.

I would like a sandsifting star, but would that be too much for a 10g? If not how many would be good for a 10er...just one?