PDA

View Full Version : The great divide.

adickerson0
02/25/2005, 10:58 AM
I would like to apologize for my part in making this whole process far more complicated then it needed to be. Before there was a forum on reef central I had set up daytonreef.blogger.com

My idea in doing this was to basically give us a temporary forum until we could decide on things like club name/what kind of stuff we wanted our club to have. I think this kind of splintered things.

Once people started using the blogger site people wanted something more. One day I get a message saying that someone had registered the www.daytonreef.com domain and started a website.

We now had 4 central points of contact...Carson's list, the blogger.com site, the people at www.daytonreef.com, and people in the forums here.

My support goes not behind any of the splintered groups but rather us getting a club with as little bickering as possible. My site was only supposed to be a temporary one so throw that out the window. I guess Carson can throw his support as he sees fit. But, that leaves this forum and the forums over at www.daytonreef.com

This forum is good because people new to the hobby may find it faster then daytonreef.com however I know there has been a great deal of work that has gone into daytonreef.com

I just don't see 2 clubs/forums in the Dayton area working out. So without too much in the way of big egos, we need to chose what forum is going to be used.

There has been a lot of "I made the decision" going on and it needs to stop. If this is going to be a club then it needs support and communication not a bunch of effort going everywhere and not to making one good club.

adickerson0
02/25/2005, 01:55 PM
Just so I am on the right track....the two groups of www.daytonreef.com and WORC are now one group and www.daytonreef.com is our website. Our actual name is WORC and everyone is happy.

Hum...I guess the above post was a little slow. I guess things came together other then 2 forums.

ohioreef
02/25/2005, 04:26 PM
I don't see any reason why we can't have both forums. If someone finds this one we could then direct them to the daytonreef page.

Subrafta
02/26/2005, 07:42 PM
I think having both the www.daytonreef.com forum and the WORC/RC forum is fine.

Columbus has both but mainly posts on the RC forum. Cinci has both, but mainly uses their web site (theirRC forum is mainly a pointer to www.cincyreef.com).

I'm just glad to see a reef club in this region.

John

ohioreef
02/26/2005, 08:56 PM
The divide widens!! There are still some people that refuse to accept WORC as a name even though the voting on daytonreef.com supports WORC as the name.

There has been some thought of making WORC a "northern branch" of daytonreef.

Any thoughts?

kidk3
02/26/2005, 09:03 PM
I think he put the time and effort into building the site for everyone that wants to join and he has the right to call it the domain name he already purchased

ohioreef
02/26/2005, 09:07 PM
That's fine, but he should not have posted a poll asking what people wanted for a name.

I have felt from the beginning of the "Ohio Reef Club" thread here on RC that there was 2 distinct groups at work trying to start clubs. We attempted to bring the 2 together and it's obviously not working out.

redpyro
02/26/2005, 09:10 PM
we have like 3 freaking threads all over the place...the orginal thread, the club thread on RC and the dayton reef threads...no offence people that way to much time to sort through all of those....for anything worth while...anyone fell the same?

ohioreef
02/26/2005, 09:12 PM
I really thought we had it sorted out. The club was going to be WORC and daytonreef.com was going to be out official webpage.

I'm still concerned whether we have enough to support 2 clubs.

kidk3
02/26/2005, 10:14 PM
ya 2 groups is a bit much for this area ..oh the reef geek drama

adickerson0
02/26/2005, 10:29 PM
Well...I will be a member of both groups if there are two.

adickerson0
02/26/2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ohioreefer
The divide widens!! There are still some people that refuse to accept WORC as a name even though the voting on daytonreef.com supports WORC as the name.

There has been some thought of making WORC a "northern branch" of daytonreef.

Any thoughts?

If Dayton reef is going to be the south side and WORC is in the north then I am out. I live in the middle so I plan to start my own club: Central Dayton Area Reef Society. <grin>

kidk3
02/26/2005, 11:04 PM
lmfao, your a riot. I dont know why people are in a tissy about what rob decided to call the club he started anyway.Hell I went to cinci reef meetings and I live no where near there, same with ohioreefer I met him at a cinci meeting

Micki
02/26/2005, 11:46 PM
I don't think the name is as much an issue as the ego trip. If we have this much problem just picking out a name what will the rest of the issues be??? If Rob wanted it Dayton Reef then he should not have asked for a vote, period. Then the vote didn't go his way, the new name was made. He then decided he doesn't like that and changes it without the support of the other possible members. Why would anyone "want" to be involved with this kind of activity???

ohioreef
02/27/2005, 06:20 AM
kidk3,

That wasn't me. There must be another ohioreefer also.

kidk3
02/27/2005, 08:28 AM
Ic hence the mix up about the job.

I still think its funny you guys are like life and death by the tank. I'll assume non of you ever changed your mind about anything?And as mentioned it was 50% for the name and 50% for others, so there wasn't even a majority

I'm staying with Daytonreef.com hopefully you guys will get over this and help form the group.If not though good luck with what your doing

kidk3
02/27/2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.cincyreef.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=81

Micki
02/27/2005, 09:05 AM
Ummm, sorry kid. It wasn't 50-50. It was 50% for 31% against. Besides, why have a vote if you aren't going to honor it? The name isn't the issue here, the attitude is the real issue. I don't need this ego trip attitude in my life. If he wants dayton reef, I have no problem with that.

As for me staying in this group, naaaa, I don't need unnecessary conflict in my life.

Good luck with your group. I'm outta here.

atreis
02/27/2005, 10:00 AM
I have to agree with Micki. I have trouble believing this is REALLY about the name of the club. Does everyone really care that much about the name? Really? Really really??

I don't know what's going on here, and have never really understood ego/power trips.

I think it would be silly to be two clubs, but if it comes to that, I'll probably join both and decide which I like best later. (I can just as easily consider myself Dayton Area as Western Ohio.)

daytonreefRob
02/27/2005, 10:23 AM
To a degree some of you are right, I should have made my feelings about this group known sooner, this thing is only about two weeks old.

If I had want to call it Western Ohio Reef Club, I would of registered westernohioreefclub.com. I didn't, I chose Dayton Reef. If you want to support this site, that is great, if not, I understand that too. I am an active participant in CincyReef, an active participant in DaytonReef, and could contribute to WORC as well.

I had an idea in mind of where I want this thing to go. I would love to talk with anyone who wants to share ideas of where they want it to go.

My short term intentions of Dayton Reef are to create a board that will govern the club /site. Once this is created, who knows where it will go.

My long term goals are to create an active forum where users support other users. Obtain sponrs for the club, instead of charging sponsors, I want the sponsors to offer discounts or special buys at their stores for our members. I want to host a frag swap in Dayton.

I know that some of these are quite ambitious, but I think they are certinaly obtainable.

As far as egos go, if you ever met me you would understand that is a gross overstatement...

redpyro
02/27/2005, 11:08 AM
Ok I have been quite until now. Who started the orginal thread looking to start a club ini the area. I did. Mikki refered me to Carson who said he had something in the works. I never really found this something, but apparently several people had the similiar idea. I proposed a name and made a simple logo. People on the original thread seemed to like (personally I didnt care, i can whip out a logo in less than 5 minutes.) I based it off the DFWMAS (Dallas/Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society) it was long but based on what it was...thats what acrynims are for.

Then the dayton reef people heard about the forum (i assume) because a bunch of you joined in. Which is fine until all the drama started. At this point I am for 2 clubs. I will stick with WORC or whatever then name changes to. No offense but a few of the Dayton Reef people are a little overly aggressive about some topics. This is for fun, not a roids trip.

Absint Reefer
02/28/2005, 03:45 PM
this is ridiculous