View Full Version : New club forum....

Agu
02/24/2005, 11:15 PM
[welcome]

Tucson Reefers !!

Agu

owsi
02/25/2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the help setting this up. Now to find all the Tucson Reefers and have a get together somewhere. Thanks John

kscrimshaw
03/10/2005, 03:10 PM
Yay, we finally have a forum! I'm definitely interested in getting together with other Tucson reefers.

owsi
03/10/2005, 05:43 PM
Great theres a few more here, WarEagleNR88, ddelon and others.
I'm at Orange Grove and Shannon. May be we can get together with the S.V. group, the have a great group. John

jeasley
03/21/2005, 09:21 PM
I am in the planning stage at this point to get into the hobby. I live at Speedway and harrison. I am thinking about getting a big tank so that I can grow into it. Still not sure but I definitely want to do a reef tank!

Jon Easley

owsi
03/22/2005, 06:47 PM
3 reef stores to check out Southwest Salt, 3457 E. Speedway
Aquatic Oasis, 3925 E. Pima and Oasis Tropicals in the Ponderosa Shopping Center on Oracle. Southwest is up and running from just having moved, Oasis is open and getting started, Aquatic Oasis is still getting set up. Theres another one but I no longer deal with them. You'll like it once you get into it, its habit forming. One word of advise, find a mentor to get you started, don't mix methods till you get the hang of it. Take your time, its easier then FW if you research before buying and and follow time lines( let tank cycle, etc.) Good luck and RC is a great place to ask and learn, John

Tucson_Phish
03/31/2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah!!!! a Tucson Group!!

I have a studio down town that has a large (18X30') room your welcome to use for the meetings if you like..

I have a projector hooked to the computer that shine on the wall if you have anything you would like to show photos of or anything like that

I have folding chairs for about 10 people table to put things on

owsi
03/31/2005, 10:56 PM
Great, if enough people are interested lets go for it. Maybe get the Serria Vista group too. Put some programs together, different people have areas of knowledge to share. Bob Goemans had a great group years ago and Serria Vista's got a good bunch already. John

jeasley
04/01/2005, 06:42 AM
I would show up even though i am a complete newbie.

owsi
04/01/2005, 09:47 PM
It should be fun, would like to get a few more people, but we have to start somewhere. Jon, the big tank idea is good for a lot of reasons, more water volume=better water quality if you make a mistake. Just get a feel for what you want to end up with before you start buying. I like shallow/wide tanks for SPS reef (22"-24 " max), tall for fish/softys. But remember there are no experts, just different levels of success and different methods. these RC forums are great, wish the would have had them when I started, saved a lot of mistakes and money. I learn something new here every day. John

jeasley
04/01/2005, 09:53 PM
It is not going to be cheap to do it, but i have wanted a saltwater tank since I was about 9 or 10. Just turned 43. I think it may be time... I have looked at what it would cost to do a smaller tank instead and the price is really not that much less. The only thing would be if someone had a tank they were getting rid of. I did not move fast enough on the one the glenngreen was selling. Sigh...

owsi
04/01/2005, 10:25 PM
They always come up, but check age, scratches, especialy big tanks (8 lbs per gal + rock). Yea the equiptment is about the same cost for a small tank. My 54 has more money in it then my 100 did when it was a reef. But when it gets going, you will spend hours every day just being amazed. Tom, Karen, Jon, maybe a couple other friends and if we're lucky maybe a few of the SV group? You want to try for a get together? John

jeasley
04/02/2005, 06:13 AM
Let's do it. I am gone from the 10th-17th of April other than that I am totally open. I hope to get my tank setup sometime in the next 1-3 months depending on how long it takes me to swallow the cost. My wife just wants me to buy the stupid tank and get it over with. She is researching the livestock while i am working on the hardware.

OasisTF
04/02/2005, 04:03 PM
I am also in, if I am allowed to go.

owsi
04/02/2005, 06:00 PM
Great, any one else?

Tucson_Phish
04/03/2005, 12:50 AM
I'm in my problem is I'm only avail on even # day in April... someone told me the SV guys like to come to Tucson on Saturdays so they can visit the LFS in Tucson and make a day of it..

Jon... I'm not sure if he still has it but Hector from the LFS on oracle had a fish tank he was Giving away I think it was a 60...

I have not been in his store for a week or so Not sure he still has it..

How does the 24th of April sound to everyone? most the LFS are open on Sundays if we can get the SV guys to shop on Sundays

jeasley
04/03/2005, 10:11 AM
The 24th would be fine. I think I am going to buy shallow long 40 gallon for my 'fuge. I want more floor area for a sand bed in it.
I posted about my new tank plans in the SV forum. I am stoked!

Tucson_Phish
04/04/2005, 12:13 AM
Let's spread the word that we want to have a GT on the 24th here at my Studio located at 43 S. 6th Ave (downtown)

does anyone have a preferred time?

OasisTF of course your welcome to come.. maybe we can even get you to be our first speaker! Hint Hint! Thanks for all your help tonight sorry I kept you so long

Now every one lets go out and post everywhere we can there there will be a meeting on the 24th maybe we can even put a flyer up in all the LFS's that would surly boost attendance

What does everyone think?

Tom

Aquatic Oasis
04/04/2005, 11:41 PM
As many of you already know, we are just opening the new store on Pima and Alvernon. This has been an arduous task, but I am finally finding some time to get in touch with the folks online. I feel that it is good for the general public to get some ideas from those of us that live in the industry. I can't wait to sit in on the meeting at the end of the month.

Tucson_Phish
04/05/2005, 10:46 PM
What time would be good for every one? I want to make up and flyer and hopefully put it up in all the LFS to let more people find out about the meeting...

I like the fact that two of the LFS owners have expressed an interest in the group.. Thanks Guys!

Aquatic Oasis
04/06/2005, 01:39 PM
The store is open from 12-6 on Sundays, so I it would nice to have the meeting sometime in the morning or evening. I would love to go, but don't worry about planning around my schedule.

OasisTF
04/06/2005, 03:28 PM
I prefer morning....But same here ...don't worry about planning around my schedule....

Oasis Tropical Fish

Roll221
04/06/2005, 11:07 PM
OK, I guess it is time for the Sierra Vista folks to chime in here. I am spreading the word down here and so far there are three of us that can make it on the 24th. Just post the exact time and place and we will be there.

Ed

jeasley
04/06/2005, 11:15 PM
I would need it to be in the afternoon since I go to church on Sundays. But we surely could do a store tour and go bug Hector and Zach if they cannot be there in the afternoon. Or you guys could meet in the morning and I can catch up. Either way is fine with me.

owsi
04/06/2005, 11:28 PM
Cool you could also bug me at Southwest. John

kscrimshaw
04/07/2005, 01:25 PM
Arghh! I'm going out of town on the 24th, so I'll miss the first meeting :(

Is Aquatic Oasis open yet? I've driven by the neighborhood a couple of times, but can't find it. Is it in the shopping center with Famous Sams?

jeasley
04/07/2005, 02:28 PM
Yup, it is open. They are still getting it all setup but they are open for business. Just no big sign yet.

Tucson_Phish
04/07/2005, 10:17 PM
The whole point of having the meeting on a Saturday is so the out of owners can come up and visit the LFS.

So I agree that we should have it in the morning so we can have the meeting then go on a store tour... that way when you buy something you can go right home with it.

But so we do not leave anyone out... we should try to have two meetings a month and have one be an early meeting and one be an early evening meeting...

Store owners if you were planning on any interesting sales this could be a great time to maybe do an early notice to the Tucson reef club to give us a crack at it first... you show your support for the club and we show our support for our LFS

how early do we want to have it? How does 11am sound? what time is church over?

Tucson_Phish
04/07/2005, 10:27 PM
Aquatic Oasis is open and looking really good.. it is in the same plaza as famous Sam's... which makes my day! :rollface go get hot wings for lunch and fish for my tanks.. what more could anyone want

it is about 3 shops west of the costume store:rollface:

jeasley
04/07/2005, 11:19 PM
My church goes late. I would not be free until 1PM. So you guys start without me. I want Zach and Hector to be involved too. meetings that are on other days. Just make sure i get a cell phone number so i can catch up to where you all are when i get free.

BigDaddy
04/09/2005, 02:13 AM
Wow, a Tucson Forum. I'll have to check out the new stores too.

jeasley
04/09/2005, 07:23 AM
Welcome! Some of us (me for one) are complete newbies but there are several levels of knowledge and experience. Seems like a very nice bunch!!

Tucson_Phish
04/09/2005, 09:19 PM
I think we need to meet and talk about what we want to do with the group... Name... when to meet so we can plan for it.. we will have Zach and Hector there they can talk about there shops and tell us where there going with the shops

Does 11am sound good for everyone... this is good for the two store owners so they can come to the meeting and still open on time

I want to make up fliers but need to know the time to put on the flyers if 11 am is ok for the majority I will go ahead and make them up

jeasley
04/09/2005, 09:36 PM
11 is fine. I will find you guys later in the day. Perhaps someone can PM me their cell number so I can call them that afternoon when I get free so I know where you all are.

Roll221
04/09/2005, 10:49 PM
11 will be good for us guys here in Sierra Vista, looking forward to the meeting! Tucson_Phish, email me a flier and I will print it and post it in the stores here as I am sure there are more reefers in Sierra Vista that I have not found out about yet.

Ed

BigDaddy
04/09/2005, 10:58 PM
I'd like to go to the next one. I won't be back from Phoenix on the 24th, until about 2PM in the afternoon.

ghostbear29
04/11/2005, 11:39 AM
oh my god, i found it!:)
owsi told me they made a site for us tucsonans, had to check it out. Thanks. By the way, thanks for the help with the monti. Looks great and was easy to acclimate. I also moved that ric like you said. We will see what happens. Look forward to chating with you guys online. See ya.

Tucson_Phish
04/11/2005, 09:31 PM
I will make the flyer in the morning and email anyone that wants a copy just drop me an email tom@surephotography.biz

Tom

OasisTF
04/11/2005, 10:35 PM
I will take one

Roll221
04/11/2005, 11:31 PM
Send me one also

Ed

ghostbear29
04/13/2005, 12:10 PM
Uh, so we are planning on going there on the 24th? Am I right? What time were you guys thinking of? Im slowly catching up. Sorry.

Tucson_Phish
04/14/2005, 12:22 AM
We will have our meeting on the 24th @ 11 am... 43 S. 6th ave, that is downtown on the corner of 6th and Broadway..

If I can get a show of Hands I will try to have some refreshments

OasisTF
04/15/2005, 02:59 AM
I'll take tap water on the rocks w/ the pinch of salt

Hector

Oasis Tropical fish

ghostbear29
04/16/2005, 03:26 PM
Let us know if you would like to pot luck this meeting. Lots of food and drink. Plenty of socializing. Sounds fun. Thanks TP for having us up.

Tucson_Phish
04/20/2005, 12:01 PM
Just a reminder there is a group meeting this Sunday at 11am

also Ed from SV asked me what will will be doing at the meeting and if there will be any trading here is my reply to him

Hi Ed.

I think the main focus should be to meet and talk about where we want the group to go and what we expect from it.. hopefully set up meeting dates so everyone can plan and talk about the next meeting topic

I guess I should post this.

I know Hector and Zach will be there to hopefully to tell us about there shops and there future plans and then we can give them some input as to what we need in a LFS

This is just my thoughts and maybe the group will have different ideas.. but it is a start

I will also have some coffee and donuts to snack on so when we go out looking at the shops we have plenty of sugar energy

if any of you have any thing they would like to ad please do I do not want to play the roll of ramrod.. I just like to get things going.. feel free to correct me about anything

Tom

ghostbear29
04/20/2005, 01:01 PM
no, no, no, ramrod is good, just not in the backside.:0
seriously, that sounds great. Do we need anything else food or drink wise? Happy to help out. My fiance' and I will be attending.

Tucson_Phish
04/21/2005, 12:21 AM
anyone is welcome to bring anything they think would be nice

OasisTF
04/21/2005, 01:25 AM
Oasis Tropical Fish will be donating a frag......

Hector
Oasis Tropical Fish

ghostbear29
04/21/2005, 08:44 AM
Uh oh, you let the cat out of the bag hector! See you on Sunday. Thanks again for all the help. Everything is looking good.

Tucson_Phish
04/22/2005, 10:57 PM
Only two more days

if anyone need directions feel free to give me a call 237-9374 if you get here before 11 on Sunday and the door is still locked just ring the bell I will be in the back of the studio