PDA

View Full Version : I've been told to remove my signature....LOL!

mrpink44
02/24/2005, 09:59 AM
I received the following from a mod this morning:

"Hello mrpink44,

I am going to have to ask you to remove your signature line. Reef Central has a policy within our User Agreement of not allowing any religious or political signatures and that same policy would apply to signatures such as yours.

I appreciate your understanding in this. Thanks."

LOL!!! I guess it's time to edit/update my signature. Reminds me of the old Ice-T CD "Freedom of speech....just watch what you say"

bhujang
02/24/2005, 10:43 AM
So what did your old signiture say? Im really curious now!! :)

mrpink44
02/24/2005, 10:56 AM
Prepare to be offended....

Smile....there is no hell :-)

I was told someone "interpreted" it as being anti-religious.

bhujang
02/24/2005, 01:37 PM
Well dear me!!! hahahaha I knew there were fanatics but that’s ridiculous of course there’s no hell hahahahahaha :)

Anyway what has anything religious or anti-religious got to do with keeping reef systems and marine aquariums? I thought it was all rather scientific these days and that the Spanish inquisition had in most parts of the world been wiped out ;)

Cheers for keeping your freedom of speech and letting us all know what was banned.

Cheers

Bhu

Hella
02/24/2005, 05:02 PM
Bah theres nothing wrong with your old one.

moujon
02/24/2005, 07:01 PM
You could always quote the Metatron (The Voice) in the movie Dogma:

"Was Wisconsin really that bad?"

MalawianDude
02/25/2005, 07:40 AM
lol, sorry to hear that dude. But i think ur new one is better...

you'll have to let us know if they tell you to remove this one too. lol.

bhujang
02/25/2005, 05:25 PM
Hey hahahaha Hella I love your signiture lol :)

Fishtale7
02/25/2005, 05:35 PM
You must be joking!!! The mods must be Bush supporters!!

Even our money says "In God We Trust". Do they want to ban our money too?

Hella
02/25/2005, 05:42 PM
hehe thanks bhujang

Zombies026
02/25/2005, 06:51 PM
Wow if it ain't one thing its another around here..The things ppl want to **** and moan about these days are just stupid...I bet the beer quotes are next, which means ohhh crap my quote will be gone to..Ahhhhhhh run for the hills freedom of speech is not allowed here.....

jmkarcz
02/26/2005, 01:34 AM

jmkarcz
02/26/2005, 01:43 AM
Sorry... had something better to say, but it would not let me delete my message... please disregard above (chalk up another meaningless post.)

Freedom of speach...... You are free to speak until I don't agree with you, our you offend me.. Then I won't speak to you anymore.
Or something like that. For what ever it's worth... I've been reading messages up here for a bit and I have not been offended by any mention of GOD. My warm and squishy side says all the fish I KILL go to HEAVEN and because I continue to KILL them inadvertantly, I will be going somewhere south of there. Besides we are only allowed to speak of HE double hockey sticks if it was "ONE HELL OF A GOOD TIME".

Sorry, I come here to satisfy my need to think about saltwater daily, hourly, minutely. This is to much...

Jason

partagas
02/26/2005, 02:22 AM
The made me change my Avatar due to it saying "rebuild". With a pic of the Twin Towers. Even after three e-mails they would not let me keep it. They said something about it being to political.

Schmev
02/26/2005, 03:39 AM
So someone got offended by that :rolleyes: Pitiful.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the narc also has a witty t-shirt worthy slogan for a sig. :mad2:

I'm surprised there isn't an option to disable other peoples' sigs and avatars from view. Why should those of us who actually enjoy the gift of life suffer because of one forum troll?

I don't like olives, but when I'm grocery shopping I just ignore them and don't buy them. I don't make a big scene to have them pulled off the market so no one else can enjoy them. May as well ban anyone who believes it's OK to cycle with damsels because they usually survive the ordeal. Every time I read about some newbie buying into that nonsense, I cringe, but I don't cry about it.

bhujang
02/26/2005, 04:53 AM
Im just really amazed no MOD has stepped into this thread and banned us all already hahaha :) bunch of rebels that we are!

mrpink44
02/26/2005, 09:13 AM
partagas - that is a complete joke about your old avatar!! How the hell is that political??? You show your support for a tragic event like that and they make you remove it?

jmkarcz - love the sig (<<<Please paste your censored / non-religious / non-vulgar / politically correct / non - offensive / no-spam / non - racial (fresh water) message here!>>>)
BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Schmev - LOL about your comparrsion to olives!!!

MalawianDude
02/26/2005, 09:57 AM
there is a add in they can install so the user online can choose to load signatures, on another forum it was installed as made page load slow for dialup users(didnt know that still around).

I am not into the whole god religous thing, just not my thing. (wont get into it, well i would just this not right place to do it) some peeps just so touchy, hmm i wonder where da mods are to ban us, lol.

Gary Majchrzak
02/26/2005, 10:09 AM
I, (for one), support the RC mods decision (and so did you mrpink44 when you signed the RC user agreement).
There are other websites on the www where you can share your religious views.

ReefOtaku
02/26/2005, 10:29 AM
I think that since our reef tanks are based on science as bhujang
said religion shouldn't matter but I can see the mods point because I'm sure that they don't want to get a bunch of PM's complaining about it. People tend to freak out when that certain mythical character (GOD) is mentioned. But when it comes to removing partagas avatar that doesn't make any sense. I mean it doesn't seem religious or political just patriotic.
I know that the other forum I'm part of has the option for users not to show signatures or avatars if they want, that way the mods don't have to restrict anything. They should do that here.

Fishtale7
02/26/2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
I, (for one), support the RC mods decision (and so did you mrpink44 when you signed the RC user agreement).

It takes money to run this site. God is on money. I don't see the mods complaining about taking money!!!!

Gary Majchrzak
02/26/2005, 10:54 AM
RC is a great place for sharing your viewpoints on reefkeeping. It's not a good place to share your religious views.
Posting religious or political viewpoints can get you banned from RC. Please consider this point if you feel you must continue to antagonize people.

mrpink44
02/26/2005, 11:06 AM

I did change my signature to comply...if you hadn't noticed. I was asked to change my new sig as well (not told this time...just asked). Ummm, what.....now I can't even state my disapproval of the RC policies??? Since we as users make up the vast majority of the content here and buy things from the sponsers (who pay a monthly fee to advertise to us) I think we have a right to question or state our disapproval with policies.

I just can't believe this policy went so far as to remove partagas avatar because it had a picture of the twin tours with the words "Rebuild" on it.

I recently saw a user who had Jesus listed in their interests....should they remove that also? I think that's crazy! I am by no means a religious person, but if that's what the persons interest is then let him state it. Who does it hurt???

Should I ask that the smiley faces with cigs be removed because it supports the tobacco industry.....or because the second hand some is lethal to the other smiley faces....LOL.

mrpink44
02/26/2005, 11:09 AM
RC is a great place for sharing your viewpoints on reefkeeping. It's not a good place to share your religious views.
Posting religious or political viewpoints can get you banned from RC. Please consider this point if you feel you must continue to antagonize people.

I agree...RC is an awesome resource...invaluable to many of us.

How are we antagonizing people? The sig was changed and I still believe I have a right to state my displeasure.

If you feel this thread is antagonizing, don't read the thread. It's just a place to vent or laugh about the policy.

Schmev
02/26/2005, 12:00 PM
Remember my olives. Just move along if you don't like it :D

Relax! I like to play the heel now and then. If I get my warning for that, so be it. I'm not going to stop caring for my pets or jump out of a window or something over listening to someone complain about me.

I just wish people would lighten up. I bet if you wore a t-shirt with that slogan to the reef conventions no one would have anything to say to you to your face to turn it inside out because they're "offended" by the H word mentioned numerous times in the Bible itself. It's just too easy to bark orders to someone who's nothing more than a screen name and being able to ban them on a whim if they decline.

I've got another t-shirt here that says "Cat, the other white meat" which I used to wear back in high school all the time. I can see now if I use that for a sig that I'd have it removed for religious reasons because cats are sacred in some cultures. ;)

MrSandman
02/26/2005, 01:26 PM
Well, some of you obviously weren't here before we opened up our Religion and Politics forum: http://reefcentral.com/forums/announcement.php?forumid=6

There was a reason we did that. Religion and Politics were once allowed here on Reef Central. But, due to the indifferences between the extremely vocal (can you believe that :)) members these discussions turned into heated debates. Then they ended up spilling out onto the main forums and getting personal. Threads would get sidetracked, personal attacks were flying from every direction....It got ugly. So we had no choice but to take a hard stance on these issues. After all, this is a reefing community isn't it? How difficult is it to abide by these rules we put in place? They aren't for our benefit. Its only purpose is to make this a friendly place where people from all ethnicities, cultures, religious and political backgrounds, can come together and talk about the thing we love the most without fear of being attacked or having someone else's agenda forced upon us. All we ask is for a little respect in return. The people that help run this site do so on a voluntary basis. We do not get paid one cent. So when one of us kindly asks you to do something as simple as changing your signature, please do so without putting up a fight. Posting a thread like this doesn't serve any purpose but to disrespect the site that brings you the best resource when it comes to reefing.