PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On Anthias

smiller
12/30/2001, 02:30 PM
Hello all!

I have searched the boards for info on anthias-found some but not alot. Much of it is inconsistant. Have read what I can find in my books. There seems to be a 50/50 split on the yeahs and nays. I am thinking of trying a small school but need more info in order to feel I am making the correct decision. I have a 127 gallon reef running for 21 months. All small fish-hawk, two clowns, Potter's and a six line. This will be my last addition. I would like them to be 3-4 inch max. Would appreciate any thoughts on good choices, how many and where to find them. Thanks.

Steve

richw
12/30/2001, 10:51 PM
I really wanted to get anthias as well. Did my homework and decided to pass. Concensus was that they were very high maintenance and need to be fed live food. For me it wasn't worth it. People did say that dispar were the best with lyretail second. Just the info provided to me.

hcs3
12/30/2001, 11:32 PM
hi smiller

anthias can't really be discussed as a genus. they need to be handled on a per species basis. some species are very hardy in the aquarium, while others rarely survive.

were there any in particular that you were interested?

for an excellent resource on anthias you should look into "reef fishes volume 1" by scott michael. it has some 40 or 50 pages on anthias. maybe you could locate one at a LFS and flip through it.

HTH

henry

smiller
12/31/2001, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys.

Henry-There wasn't any one in particular I had an interest in. Something colorful that will eat prepared foods and stays small. I am wide open for suggestions. Like Rich I am not dead set to get them, but would like a small school of fish to finish off my population. The anthias looked like a possibility. I have thought about some chromis but liked the colors of the anthias.

I saw the book you mention at a LFS in Dallas last weekend. They had some lyretails so I was reading his section on them. I still didn't think I knew enough to make a proper selection, so I was hoping to gain some more info here. I think reading the complete section on anthias is a good idea. I will do that when I get back to Dallas. (Althought the LFS may frown on it:) )

Steve