PDA

View Full Version : Building a stand, suggestions?

Q-ball
02/20/2000, 03:29 PM
Hey all, I plan on building a stand myself for a 225 that I'm getting from a friend. The dimensions are 72"L x 24"W x 30"H. I'm wondering what type of wood I should use as the frame for this stand. Would 2x6's at each corner & in the middle be enough? A friend suggested using 4x4's, but I need all the room I can get under this thing for the sump. Will 2x6's be strong enough? would it be better to use pressurized? I do plan on coating the entire thing with a sealer of some sort before I'm done. Also, any tips on finishing it would be great too. TIA

Q

------------------
wife: "What's it going to cost THIS time?"
;)

Rinaldi
02/20/2000, 04:43 PM
I have built two stands for 75g tanks and both are so overbuilt its not even funny.
I think I could place the Baltimore Aquarium on them.

A 225 is definately a big heavy tank, but at least the weight will be distributed over a long span (6'). I assume you will use multiple leg supports (ie, four corners PLUS a few additional center supports!). Whether you use 2X6s of 4x4s make sure its all tied in with cross beams to anchor all of the legs. You could have steel legs and still have the potential for a lateral collapse if things aren't tied in with cross-beams because the weight is not only one directional. Plywood sheating also helps tie it all in.

Snailman
02/20/2000, 08:49 PM
Go to http://www.ozreef.org/diy/index.html there are lots of stand plan links there as well as everything DIY. :)

Dave
02/22/2000, 08:05 PM
Q-ball I built a 16foot stand you can park a car on it I built it out of 2x6 and it looks like two ladders with 3/4 top and lower shelf. You can never overbuild however you can destroy your home if you underbuild.

Q-ball
02/22/2000, 08:21 PM
hey, thanx for the help guys, much appreciated. Looks like we're going the building this weekend, gonna go with the 2x6's for the frame and use 3/4" pine plywood for the base and the top. Probably gonna use pine tongue & groove (groooooooooooovy babie!) & nice molding to finish it. Thanx again!

Q

------------------
wife: "What's it going to cost THIS time?"
;)