PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the killer shrimp!

JasonGraves
02/23/2005, 11:47 AM
This may sound crazy but I saw a small shrimp today that I didn't purchase. I noticed it coming out of a deep hole in one of my live rocks. As I was watching this new small shrimp it attacked my two peppermint shrimp then went back into the hole he came out of. I am not even sure it was a shrimp but it looked like a very small one. Anyone have any idea what it could be and what I should do about it?

LowCel
02/23/2005, 12:38 PM
Most likely a mantis shrimp. If it is you definately need to get it out of your tank.

Did he look similar to this?
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/mantis2a.jpg

JasonGraves
02/23/2005, 01:11 PM
Yes it did look somewhat like the one in your picture, but perhaps it was a little lighter in color. Any suggestions on how to get him out and what to do with him once removed?

LowCel
02/23/2005, 01:36 PM
Once you get him out take him to Jomars, they will be happy to give him away for you.

There are various traps out there. However I think the best way to catch them is to find what rock they go in and remove it from the tank. Then pour some sprite into the hole. He will come out immediately. Once he is out put him back into some saltwater. Just be careful with him, he can split your thumb if you aren't careful.

JasonGraves
02/23/2005, 02:54 PM
Problem solved! The sprite worked great he jumped right out. Unfortunately he was a fast lil fella and got away from me and into the jaws of my dauchshund. Guess I will find out if my dog has any allergies to seafood.

LowCel
02/23/2005, 02:55 PM
Congratulations!!!!

Does your dog have a sore mouth???

JasonGraves
02/23/2005, 02:56 PM
No I dont think so he seems to be fine, he actually just kinda pounced on it so I am not sure if it was his mouth or his claws that did the trick but once I got the dog away the shrimp was in pieces.

Comparing the pictures online to what was left of the shrimp I do believe it was in fact a mantis shrimp. From what I have read about them the dog killing it may not have been such a bad thing.

LowCel
02/23/2005, 03:00 PM
Actually a lot of people keep mantis. I have one of my own. Well, for a few more hours. Shikaroka is coming out this evening to pick mine up along with his tank.

JoMar's keeps one in their nano tank as well.

Shikaroka
02/23/2005, 03:27 PM
Yeh, I've been trying to get one for a while, and LowCel is nice enough to help me out.
They do tend to be the scurge of the reef, but I hate to see one die, they are pretty cool little creatures.

firefish2020
02/23/2005, 08:25 PM
<b>"From what I have read about them the dog killing it may not have been such a bad thing."</b>

Key words here are "From what I have read about them.."

We all believed the hype about these little guys in the beginning but you couldn’t have a more interesting creature in a tank. You know the nano at the shop? That was set up for a mantis shrimp, it's his home. The only negative things I will say about them is that boy do they have an appetite for crabs :) As long as they get a few of these from time to time they are usually fine with other creatures. I don’t doubt that it attacked your shrimp however, with all the good things I have said here about them I don’t advise anyone put a mantis into their display reef. They require special care IMO and should be kept in a separate species only tank.

JasonGraves
02/23/2005, 08:55 PM
I am not sure that it was a mantis shrimp but it did look like the one in the picture above except it was a light color.

firefish2020
02/23/2005, 10:11 PM
Only thing that looks like that is a mantis, they come in many colors.