PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID

G-money
12/29/2001, 07:22 PM
Any guesses on an ID for this anemone? I don't think it is any common host-type. It buries its (quite lengthy) base in the sand. It seems to be arranged in a more rosette fashion than other anemones. I'm at a loss, though I haven't really researched it ;)...

G-money
12/29/2001, 07:24 PM
Another pic...

Dragonlady
01/03/2002, 01:03 PM
I am not a marine biologist, but your anemone appears to be a Heteractis species anemone. I would guess either Heteractis malu or Heteractis crispa, especially if it has verrucae(small warts on its base). Both are sold under the trade name sebae anemone and live burrowed into the sediment. The 2 species are easily confused.

Carlos
01/03/2002, 07:34 PM
Graham,

wow dude. I dont know what it is but if it splits, send me the clone. That is an awesome specimen.

Carlos

Leonard
01/04/2002, 07:18 PM
My vote would be Heteractis crispa, although M.doreensis is a possibility. Tentacles are too long and numerous to be H.malu, and the fact it burrows its foot in the substrate excludes. H.magnifica. It does not appear to be an E.quadricolor, and obviously is not a Stichodactyla sp.

G-money
01/05/2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys.

Well, I got a pair of clowns this past Thursday and the female goes to the anemone. Not sure which clowns yet. They were sold as Australian, so maybe melanopus, but look more like cinnamon. It looks like she got stung or something a couple times (couple weird raised spots on her flank that weren't there when I got her), but now it accepts her....very strange. The male goes nowhere near it (yet?)

Case is still open, but it must be a host.(???)

The tentacles originate mostly on the perimeter of the oral disk. They are arranged in about 6 bunches. It's not a typical LTA. That's all I know. Not a carpet. Looks most like an E. quad to me, but don't think it is that either....

No bumps (warts) on the stalk, BTW.

Dragonlady
01/06/2002, 06:02 PM
Are there any o shapes on the anemone's base, or is there no patterning at all ? Do you know where the anemone was collected from in the wild?Was it the Pacific or Atlantic Ocean?

G-money
01/06/2002, 08:26 PM
Dragonlady,

Not sure what you mean by "shapes" at the base, but I don't think there are. The base is smooth and off-white with random streaks of the same chartruese flourescence as found in the tentacles and on the oral surface.

I am not sure where it is from, though I got it from a store I used to work at. It came in from a supplier who got (gets) most of their animals from Bali.