PDA

View Full Version : DIY Fish Trap

Wreck Ferret
01/27/2000, 06:20 PM
Hi Gang,

I desperately need some help,

Will one of you well informed Reefers PLEASE show me some DIY plans for a fish trap. Ultralife do one but its $40, I have the Acrylic so it must be cheaper to DIY, I just need some idea about the trap door.

Any Help?

------------------
Plan the Dive; dive the Plan.

Agu
02/04/2000, 11:18 AM
Buy the ultralife trap, copy the design, and return it. If you're uncomfortable with that, the "door" slides up and down like a guillotine, you trigger it by releasing a fishline that holds the door up. I bought the trap and it's one of the best investments I've made.

Doug
02/04/2000, 10:37 PM
Hi Wreck Ferret,

Here is a link that I found on about.com the other day showing a DIY trap.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/home/saltaquarium/library/weekly/mcurrent.htm

HTH

Doug

------------------
Doug's Reef and Fish Page (http://38.222.244.200/dougw)

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 02-05-2000).]

Duncan
05/07/2001, 09:29 AM
I made one with the sliding door glued with silicon and it is the best way to catch problem fish with the least stress.
My biggest problem is keeping the ones I don't want out

Snailman
05/07/2001, 05:57 PM
Duncan

[welcome]

Greg Moore
05/07/2001, 07:42 PM
I have been telling people to try the worlds cheapest trap, so far all that have used it wrote me back with great results.

Material required: 1 empty 2 liter coke bottle.

Cut the top 1/3 off at the widest point, turn it around and stick it back in to the bottom 2/3. You now have a funnel pointing into the bottom portion. This only works on fish small enough to get through the cap hole unless you cut that portion bigger too.

This trap will catch most fish such as damsels etc if kept near the top of the tank. It will catch shrimp, crabs and stars etc if left on the floor of the tank.

Greg

Duncanmurf
05/08/2001, 10:41 AM
I have also used the coke bottle method, and it works well with smaller fish and the like. But if you need to catch a bigger fish then try placing a net in the tank for a day or two so that the fish get use to it. Then when the have become less leary feed the fish in the area of the net. Usually a frenzy is going on and you can catch the fish that you want out of the tank. HTH.

P.S. Duncan, could you please email me with your addy.

Duncan.

Snailman
05/08/2001, 07:12 PM
Duncanmurf

[welcome]