PDA

View Full Version : Are there any reefers close to the muncie area?

staticxtreme
02/21/2005, 07:23 PM
Just wanted to see if there was any reefer's close to the Muncie Area. Share some knowledge about 'good' LFS.

TDEVIL
02/23/2005, 08:31 PM
i have been to Muncie a few times and the only one i know of is G&M
they have soft corals and fish, but , imo, they are over priced on some stuff and the price isnt bad on other stuff (i havent been there in a while)

i live in Marion, so i usually go to Picture perfect, or i go to Ft. wayne

Jay

Mr James
02/25/2005, 06:01 AM
Beware of The Coral Reef in Fort Wayne. Klaus has a bad case of some type of flatworms and/or red bugs.

TDEVIL
02/25/2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr James
Beware of The Coral Reef in Fort Wayne. Klaus has a bad case of some type of flatworms and/or red bugs.

really, when did this happen, i bought a few acro's from him a few weeks ago and a linkia last week, i will keep an eye on the corals for the bugs
i know that he still cant get rid of that algae and he has some nudi's that are eating his cloves

which tank did you see the flat worms or teh red bugs in?

thanks for the heads up :)

Jay

Mr James
02/25/2005, 12:15 PM
The tank as you walk in with the green laminalia<sp>?? Also, his tiered set up in the back with all the good stuff. But then again, those are his only real coral tanks. That dude has battled some of the worst macro alage I have ever seen, but his problem is that he refuses to take advice from anybody. If it's not made in Germany, than it is insufficient!! But then, he doesn't even run the GOOD German equipment!! Three years ago he accused me of trying to boil my water and kill my corals when I told him I put a 250w MH over my 20H. Guess what he is running over his tanks now?? I would only buy from him if two things happened, 1) he acknowledges he has an infestation in his tanks and 2) if I can find out the best treatment to cure that infestation. Where in Indiana are you??

TDEVIL
02/25/2005, 01:12 PM
i live in Marion :)

i know how you feel, i told him that i had some of that same algae that came with a scrol coral, he asked what i did, when i said "nothing" he look at me like i was crazy, then i said if the nutrients arnt there then the algae wont grow, and then the wife sat down (she knew) the 2 hr talk begain, lol

he still doesnt believe me when i tell him that the acro's have did a 180 in my tank as far as the color is concerned

you should've seen his face when i told him that i have 3 400 MH and 2 160 w VHO's, that look was priceless

over all i think he knows more than most LFS around here which is why i drive there and the prices arnt bad to boot

Jay

Mr James
02/25/2005, 01:22 PM
My wife won't even go in there with me anymore because she knows it's going to turn into a lengthy conversation. But as of late, it seems as though ole Klaus doesn't like to talk too much. He told me that Calcium Reactors cost too much, like around $1000. I asked him who was trying to swindle him. I told him about the CR's I have run in the past and their total cost isn't $1000. I don't blame him, I blame his ignorance.

TDEVIL
02/25/2005, 01:30 PM
i know what you are saying

we cant change the way people think we can only give facts and opinions and how they choose to use that is up to them ;)

Jay

CmyREEF
03/04/2005, 05:10 AM
Having the above posts brought to my attention, I not only feel it necessary, but essential, to come to my own defense and at the same time try to help "MR. James" rejoin us here in the real world where we are able to separate fact from fiction and leave his fictional fantacies and half truths locked up in the depths of his own mind.
Now, with that being said, lets begin by starting to put things that were quoted as being said in the proper context! But before I start, let's get some personal background out of the way first.
I had my first marine aquarium(seahorses)back in the early 1960's. I have never really left the hobby other than the time I spent overseas while serving our country in the military. I have been professionally in the hobby as a retailer since 1986 when Coral Reef first came into existence in Fort Wayne. Coral Reef has been exclusively saltwater since 1989. That makes Coral Reef the oldest surviving fish retailer in the city with its original owners. The store has an annual advertising buget of $ 0.00,(our yellow page listing is the basic blk/white free listing) it has no gimmic ridden "sales events", radio/TV/ adds, no newspaper or handout flyer type handouts.........just WORD of MOUTH !!
Now "Mr.James", with your vast accumulative wisdom, can you tell me who has been in the hobby privately as well as professionally longer than you have been on this earth, as well as those surfing this board, how someone can survive and remain in bussiness, when, as you have pointed out in the above post suffers from;
a). total ignorance of the marine hobby
b). shows unwillingness to run thier retail business the
"Mr.James" way or no way
c). has dirty/algae/bug infested tanks
d). really only has 2 coral tanks
e). questions the placing of a 250watt MH over a
20gal. high because of the obvious heat issue
f). dares to question the high cost of many of the
high end equipment

and all of this from a person who would have you believe buy reading his posts that he has spent countless hours in the store when AT BEST he might grace us with his presence three times a year!!! And during those three annual visits, they are usually during his lunch break or while I'm eating supper at which neither offers much time for "hours of conversation" So get real Olson, ask Jay what "hours of conversation" consists of. As for your wife, I may have met her once. I DO know however, that you always mention that any purchase would have to be cleared by her. So folks, if "Mr. James" makes it sound as if he has spent many a BEN FRANKLIN at local shops, Please don't make me laugh. Try maybe an ABE LINCOLN every full moon! Am I supose to file for bankrupcy because you won't buy anything until I meet your demands? The only thing that "Mr.J Olson buys is when its FREE and it better come with a 24 month arrive alive/stay alive warranty and free delivery.

I am running close to my character limit on this post, but stay tuned for more to come.

Carlos
03/04/2005, 10:36 PM
Both parties have stated their cases but, personal attacks are not allowed from either party. Therefore, this thread is closed.

Carlos
RC Staff