PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe Hinges

Mushroom Boy
01/08/2000, 06:55 PM
What type of hinges are safe for use in the construction of a hood? Brass? Stainless steel? Is there such a thing as plastic hinges? How about piano hinges? Thanks!

Paul.

Snailman
01/09/2000, 11:51 AM
We had a hood with brass hinges on it and there was no problem. As long as the hinge is not in the water the only thing you have to deal with is corosion. If you want clear acrylic hinges or clear acrylic panio hinges both of which look like a real cool DIY part for something you can get them at. http://www.usplastic.com
I have done business with these people several times and they are real good. They have a great catalog for anyone doing DIY.

ignatz
01/10/2000, 08:36 AM
Snailman,

Thanks for the tip! I will remember the link. :)

Mushroom Boy,

I was told by a sailor that salt water corrodes all metal. He was right, there is no such thing a salt safe metal. I have seen Stainless Steel and Brass corrode over salt water. I am currently using a brass piano hinge that is on the outside of my hood. This reduces the contact time with the salt water. The plastic hinges may be worth your wile, depending on where you need to us them.

HTH
~ignatz

Mushroom Boy
01/17/2000, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of the piano hinge and will check out the acrylic one. Thanks again!

Paul.