PDA

View Full Version : how many are using tap water?

MattG
02/21/2005, 12:35 PM
i left my ro/di unit outside this weekend and since it was very cold the darn housings cracked. This is the second time this has happened this winter... i know what an idiot. im busy/forgetfull what can i say. Most likely my membrane is fryed also since im sure it froze......

anyways how many people are using tap water? what kind of TDS are you getting? any algae problems?

I really dont want to replace the unit AGAIN even though i know i should. lord knows im sure id end up with more cracked housings before the winter is up.

odoprelude
02/21/2005, 01:31 PM
I used tap water for a long time and had nothing but incremental problems with algae that was offset with my refugium, but once I switched to water from the R/O unit at Wal-Mart, just a little algae on the glass.... you ought to consider that at .25 a gallon. Buy a couple of the 5 gallon jugs they have...

1package
02/21/2005, 01:52 PM
I used tap water for a couple of years, then went to bottled water, then to the RO unit. Never had algae problems, just piece of mind. I think from a $$$ standpoint you would just about be better off to purchase bottled water. For me to fill up my containers I waste a ton of water.

MattG
02/21/2005, 03:29 PM
thing is i do a 30 gallon water change every 2 weeks plus evaporate 2.5 gallons a day. so for a month id use about 135 gallons. thats alot of water to tote around and at .25 a gallon not cheap.

anyone else using tap?

1package
02/21/2005, 03:33 PM
I have no idea what the per gallon charge is from the water company but I bet the RO unit sends 5 down the drain for every one it makes.

coralreefer
02/21/2005, 04:09 PM
Tap here Matt.

I have no idea what the TDS of our water is but I've never had an algae problem related to using tap water.

LowCel
02/21/2005, 04:23 PM
Matt, I've never used tap water on this tank, too afraid to. However my tap tds is 44 ppm.

I don't know if it helps or not but here is the unit that i have. I have been using it for a while now and I am very happy with it. I figure it is a lot cheaper than the ones you keep breaking. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20684&item=4339582633&rd=1

firefish2020
02/21/2005, 07:18 PM
Used tap from day one and the only algae I got until I did that Damnable red bug treatment was just the basic light green wipe away stuff. Never take all your crabs out of your reef for 3 weeks!!!!

essop3
02/21/2005, 08:32 PM
Used RO/DI since day 1. I need to replace my filters though.

mcox33
02/22/2005, 12:54 AM
always use tapwater

MattG
02/22/2005, 07:47 AM
well i went on ahead and did a 20 gallon change with tap. we will see if i get any kind of an algae bloom.

I setup a little 29 gallon damsel tank for my brother 6 months ago and used tap. Havent had any type of algae problems in it so hopefully ill be fine.

LowCel
02/22/2005, 07:53 AM
Are you going to be getting another ro/di eventually?

MattG
02/22/2005, 08:31 AM
depends if i start to have problems. if i dont have problems i still will eventually just not anytime soon. Im done for now spending money on this blasted aquarium.

1package
02/22/2005, 09:01 AM
Do not know how my comment about the water

"Jim over at Bert's told me once that most of the tap water in the area was very good, do not know how big "the area" is. He also said if I brought in a sample he would check it out."

got into the Pet store thread...........either way........I am going to stick with the RO water for now although maybe not the best route. It does waste a lot of water and I do not check it so if there is a problem, I would not know until it was too late...............but I guess I was thinking that there may be additives or accidents in tap water that I may not want. Also seems as if the iron pipe/copper pipe thing could somehow be an issue without a filter.

As for testing water, I would like to calibrate my hydrometer.

LowCel
02/22/2005, 10:16 AM
I'll bring my refractometer to the meeting so we can calibrate your hydrometer. I'll bring my tds meter as well just in case anyone wants to test a sample of their tap water.

mcox33
02/22/2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 1package

Also seems as if the iron pipe/copper pipe thing could somehow be an issue without a filter.

I have some copper pipes in my house all copper from main shut off to kitchen sink which is where I get my water for my tank, I have tested the water with a copper test kit. No copper comes through and there was none detected in the tank either, so if it builds up it seems to take it a long while as one of my tanks are over a year old and the other has been setup and running for about 2 years now.

coralreefer
02/22/2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by MattG
I setup a little 29 gallon damsel tank for my brother 6 months ago and used tap. Havent had any type of algae problems in it so hopefully ill be fine.

you don't know how bad I want to make a comment about keeping your brother in a 29 gallon with a damsel :lol:

MattG
02/22/2005, 12:13 PM
hey he didnt have to pay a dime for it he should be happy. Sad thing is he only has a single damsel right now.... poor guy. Ill probably pick him up a few more at the meeting.

1package
02/22/2005, 01:21 PM
I have some copper pipes in my house all copper from main shut off to kitchen sink which is where I get my water for my tank, I have tested the water with a copper test kit. No copper comes through and there was none detected in the tank either, so if it builds up it seems to take it a long while as one of my tanks are over a year old and the other has been setup and running for about 2 years now.

I suspect that this is true for nearly everyone, just seems as though it could be an issue over time perhaps similar to the fears of rock holding and later releasing certain metals or minerals back into the water. I am not making a case for either method***********I really have no idea.*************just thinking out loud.

Also I worry about what may be added to the water by the water company.

On a side note I talked to an Executive at Pepsi once at a training class who mentioned that Pepsi makes an obscene amount of money in the sale of bottled water.

He said that the sad thing is that most companies that sell bottled water have a fraction of the health/testing requirements that public utilities have............meaning that unless the bottled water comes from a more reputable source, who knows what you are getting.

msu
02/22/2005, 08:59 PM
have always used tap water here with no problems. probably for close to three years. i started out with buying gallon jugs of water but just thought the cost was to much.

however i do know a place where you can get RO water for free or i know they use to give it away. it is at the saltwater fish store in flatwoods but i am not sure if they still do that since i have not been there in over a year.

nathansdad04
02/22/2005, 09:26 PM
Using tapwater is a 'crap shoot' at best...I used it for over a year and THEN the problems started. Adding tap water and waiting to see if algae starts is not the smartest thing you could do. You are risking your fish and corals by doing that. Tapwater contains chlorine, flouride etc etc etc. Why risk it when you can buy a new RO unit for $90 on ebay?
It cost me a ton of money and hassle cause I used tapwater when i first started. Do yourself a favor and INVEST in another RO unit.

firefish2020
02/22/2005, 10:11 PM
I said it before and I will say it again. What works for some people doesn’t work for everyone and there are far to many variables to rule in or out a cause of any problem or cure for one. I think you know the risks on this better than anyone Matt I have customers who use only tap and customers using RO and have both complain about algae problems so I personally don’t believe RO is the end all be all of eliminating all algae. Personally I think it has more to do with a really good selection of grazers, and clean up crew. RO is a great tool but not a 100% cure for all that ails our reefs. That said there are certain areas that tap water supplies are indeed full of metals, toxins, etc that would kill off a reef in no time. If you think you have this type of supply then you realy dont have a choice but to go for another RO but I doubt you have that problem.

Robert Butler
02/23/2005, 09:33 PM
I think the free ro water is just filtered water.