PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty

BOBG
12/28/2001, 10:37 PM
I've had a Coral Beauty for about a week now. He spends most of his time hidden and I can't get him to eat. What is a good food source for him?

hcs3
12/28/2001, 11:00 PM
CB's should be fed a large variety of both meat and algea based foods. mysis, both formula 1 & 2, spirulina, etc. to entice it to eat you may want to acquire live adult brine shrimp. most fish find this irresistable.

in the meantime, the CB should be grazing on your LR, if you have any.

what size tank and what tank mates are with this CB? how old is the tank?

HTH

henry

BOBG
12/28/2001, 11:33 PM
My tank has been running about 4 months now. 120 tall 60"x26"x18", My live rock contains virtually no algae. All parameters are "perfect" if there is such a thing, LOL.... The tank mates are 1 Powder Brown Tang, 1 maroon Clown, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Pajama Cardinal, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Pistol Shrimp, 1 Brittle Star and a now banished to the 'fuge as of today, Striped? Gobie. The Gobie seemed to be a little aggressive so I moved him to the fuge in case he is stressing the CB. I had been feeding only Flake food, all the other tank Mates love it!!!

JB NY
12/29/2001, 10:08 AM
I find that almost all fish will eat mysis. Most of the time it is the first frozen food my fish take. Once they start getting used to being fed, the CB should start to eat other food as well. Mine pretty much eats anything I put in the tank.

BOBG
12/29/2001, 02:19 PM
I haven't seen my CB in two days. I tried flushing out his regular hiding spots today with a baister, no luck. I think he is probably dead. I'm thinking maybe I didn't have the right diet and there isn't enough algae growth to sustain on of these beautiful fish.

hcs3
12/29/2001, 02:46 PM
i'm sorry to hear that, bob.

did the maroon clown harass it at all? i've seen those maroons act like devils and know of one instance were it terrorized a coral beauty to death.

also, i'd highly recommend a more varied diet than flake food. at a minimum, your tang should be eating nori daily. add mysis to the mix of flake and nori and your fish will appreciate it.

HTH

henry

BOBG
12/29/2001, 03:23 PM
The Maroon is actually one of the friendliest fish in the tank. I'm surprised to hear that the Maroons have such a rep. Mine is a perfect little fishy. It was the Gobie that harrassed everyone. I'll start providing a better diet as well. I do feed frozen shrimp once a week.