PDA

View Full Version : Sand swap

tooshay
02/20/2005, 08:16 PM
What about having a sand swap at the next meeting. Some other clubs have everyone bring a cup of sand from their tanks, and mix it all in a bucket. Then everyone takes a scoop of the mixed sand home to add some diversity to the sand bed.

KING OF THE REEF
02/20/2005, 08:38 PM
maybe but i have almost no sand to spare lol. how about a frag sale of some sorts.

dgasmd
02/20/2005, 08:51 PM
Sherry:

I would be very cautious with getting sand from tanks you don't know. Just like you can get many good and bemeficial things from swapping sand, you can also get pests. hings I have gotten from others in the past include the red bugs (buying frags), flat worms, montipora eating nudibranchs, bryopsis, and the list goes on. Some of these pests will make you seriously consider either drinking or quiting the hobby altogether.

GregM779
02/20/2005, 10:16 PM
I'd be glad to give you a scoop of my sand but I'm kind of weary of mixing 20 different sandbeds together never know what could happen.

tooshay
02/21/2005, 06:14 AM
Hmmm...I never thought about that!! I have tons of worms and creepy crawlies in my sand, so for now I will just leave well enough alone!

dgasmd
02/21/2005, 08:11 AM
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular. Just in general it is something to consider. It is like adding water from someone else's tank to your tank. It is a no no. Not even a drop of water from some other foreign tank makes it to mine. Not even pet stores, online retailers, or even people I know. It is just good preventive policy I think. I scoop fish and corals out and let them drip off before adding to my system.

tooshay
02/21/2005, 08:15 AM
It is a very good policy!! I guess if my sand critters (Which I have lots of now) start to become scarce, I can always get some sandbed critters from an online store. Thanks for the insight!!