PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in N.O., Metairie, Kenner??

reefdood
02/20/2005, 06:56 PM
Just seeing if any locas here? If so, where yat, how long in hobby, what size tank, etc? I'm in metairie and always looking for frags. Years ago when I had my 90 I was swapping frags like a freak but I've lost contact with everyone. My name is Frank and I used to work saltwater at Pets Superstore with Brad.

We need to get something rolling like a reefclub down here or something. I know between George, Rick, and A. Specialties selling thousands a week to reefers there has to be frags for sale or trade from someone. :lol: I have nothing to swap YET but fully intend to have this 30 gal growing like my 90 was.:D

mystangt
02/21/2005, 02:18 AM
Hi, I'm in New Orleans.

Evangeline
02/21/2005, 10:41 PM
I'm in Lafayette, a little west of you guys. I have a 90 g sps tank and a 29 g softie tank.

I'm in the same boat as you Frank, a bunch of frags at the moment but I will definitely be up for some cool sps trades later on.

Evangeline

mystangt
02/22/2005, 12:16 AM
That kewl, I used to live in Lafayette.

Evangeline
02/22/2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, Lafayette's ok for a midsized town... Alot of my family is in New Orleans so I used to spend a lot of time there when I was younger. Now I don't get across the basin nearly enough :)

I need to go soon and check out some of the stores out that way. What's good for sps besides Coral Connection?

reefdood
02/22/2005, 06:41 PM
Coral connection is tops in my book. Then there's Aquatic Specialties http://aquaticspecialties.com , Rick's reef, and I'm not sure about Silent world as I haven't checked them out in years. Aquatic Specialties sells ORA frags and that's where I got my Chip's acro from. They also sell they're own propogated frags like Coral Connection does.

If anyone ever comes out this way, just PM me and I can set something up to go to the LFS stores with ya.

Evangeline
02/22/2005, 08:55 PM
I'll have to check out Aquatic Specialties, I don't think I've been there.
I'll look you up next time I get out that way. I don't think there's a ton of reefers out this way, I'd like to meet some local people to trade with.
Evangeline

hmoore
02/23/2005, 08:47 PM
I am from New Orleans but no longer reside there, after 26 years. I just thought that I would stop by and say wuz up. It would be nice to start a club there so that I can stop by a meeting when I visit. We just got a club off the ground here in Charlotte, NC (www.rasoc.org). You'd be surprised how fast these things take off! If any of you are ever in the Charlotte area, we have a sweet start to our club! After 3 months, roughly 80 people have joined.

mystangt
02/24/2005, 08:34 AM
Where is Coral Connection located ReefDood? I haven't been there yet.

reefdood
02/24/2005, 05:15 PM
Really? It's located off of Williams Blvd. in kenner.

http://www.coralconnection.com

Coral Connection is tops in my book. They have a 800 gal. in wall display and some SPS softies for sale upstairs. Downstairs they have different liverock, livesand, clams, and a room where they sell propigated SPS, softies, Xenias. ;) Everybody in this hobby HAS to visit Coral Connection. It's a real nice store.

And don't let George sucker you into a ping pong game on his table. He's good. :D

hmoore
02/24/2005, 07:53 PM
I agree, George has one serious setup there!

Evangeline
02/24/2005, 09:08 PM
I'll agree, you can't have a reef in New Orleans and not see Coral Connection. His 800 g display is awesome, and they have another really nice sps tank off to the side. If I remember correctlt they also do some pretty nice custom sump, etc. work.
Stang, definitely go check it out... it's worth it.

eidillitih
02/24/2005, 09:37 PM
Hey guys, I live in Metairie, just finish setting up my 210 last month. Don't have many coral but I'm in the hunt. I'm really being picky this time when it come to what corals I put in my tank, for that reason I having a hard time finding something nice local. I seriously thinking of making a order online.
If you guys have been to Rick's Reef, you might know me, I worked their this summer.

mystangt
02/25/2005, 12:42 PM
I'm going to go and check out Coral Connection today. Thanks for the info.

mystangt
02/26/2005, 03:06 AM
Ok, I went and checked out Coral Connection. That place is simply amazing. Beautiful fish and corals. I also went by Ricks Reef and Aquatic Specialties. I made it a day....hehehe.:D

reefdood
02/27/2005, 12:36 AM
I was at CC and AS today. lol, what time were you there? Did you buy anything? I bought two unknown acro frags from George at CC today.

BTW CC is getting a shipment Tue. I'll be there like a scavanger. :lol:

reefdood
02/27/2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by eidillitih
Hey guys, I live in Metairie, just finish setting up my 210 last month. Don't have many coral but I'm in the hunt. I'm really being picky this time when it come to what corals I put in my tank, for that reason I having a hard time finding something nice local. I seriously thinking of making a order online.
If you guys have been to Rick's Reef, you might know me, I worked their this summer.

What'd ya get today? I didn't get to stop by Rick's like I told ya I would in the store, but I will soon. After I scored from George today I had to race to the house to get the frags in my tank before my wife got home and found out I bought more fuzzy twigs. :lol:

hmoore
02/27/2005, 12:54 AM
I am not sure if George would object to it, but could anyone bring a digital camera and take a few shots of the 800 and post them here?

reefdood
02/27/2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by hmoore
I am not sure if George would object to it, but could anyone bring a digital camera and take a few shots of the 800 and post them here?

I can try Tue. ;)

Terry & Mary
02/27/2005, 01:15 AM
The LFS in Alex (Undersea Odyssea) has a real nice 1500gal. He has a nice store also. He just moved to a new location. He will be finished with a 700gal. in a few weeks.

mystangt
02/27/2005, 01:30 AM
No I didn't buy anything but was tempted though. I was there around 3:00.

reefdood
02/27/2005, 01:51 AM
:eek1: I was there around 3 also, so was eidillitih. Did you see a skinny guy with a white shirt and baggy jeans, messy short hair? That is me. :lol:

eidillitih
02/27/2005, 10:55 AM
reefdood, I did go to Rick's, He got a nice shipment in today just as I was about to leave. I bought a nice hydnopora, small harlequin shrimp to pair with the one I already have, and I bought some crabs. Rick also had this nice cap with purple polyps, real nice. He also got two blue dot squamosa clam VERY NICE, one was already bought before I left. He got some fish also, I didn't stick around to see exactly what.

reefdood
02/28/2005, 12:16 AM
lol, I bet the cap is gone by now. :(

Well at least we both got some weekend goodies to put in the tank. I'm going by Georges on Tue. to see what he gets in as far as SPS go, I NEED a cap. Either Purple, pink, or I guess orange. Will Rick be open Tue?

mystangt
02/28/2005, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure if I saw you or not. Did you see a yellow stang in the parking lot?

eidillitih
02/28/2005, 08:52 AM
Yea, Rick will be open. The purple polyp cap was still their yesterday when I went back up there.

NOLACLS
02/28/2005, 11:52 PM
Da bank here :cool: I have a 110 and I am about to order a 280 starphire as soon as I decide what holes I want to have...if any one would like to give me there thoughts that would be great...I have a thred in the large reef section!! I make the usual rounds to the 3 places out there. I just found ricks a few weeks back but been going to the other 2 for a long time. Ohh and I used to work at fish bowl in laffayette while I was at usl and way way back in the day I was at marcs exotic when I was in high school :D Good to see some locals here...I may want to check out some of yalls MH setups when I get to that point.

Mark

mystangt
03/01/2005, 02:47 AM
What time does he close?

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 08:36 AM
He close at 7:00pm.

NOLACLS, 280 starfire huh, man that's gonna be nice. Are you going to have the back against the wall are you going to be able to view from two sides or three sides tank. This is important in understanding where to place the holes.

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 10:17 AM
It will be aginst a wall and be seen from 3 sides. I know where they are going...I just cant decide if I want 1.5" or 2". The back will have external overflows so it will have to go on a wall...but I will have the full 72x36 to play with :D

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 10:43 AM
Close loop holes? 2" drains with 1" returns. I have 2 1.5inch drains with 4 1inch returns on my close loop. The problem with bigger return is line-loc isn't made that big. Plus big return give less pressure coming out the return, not give the type of water movement you want.

The drains and returns on the tank should come standard. Who are you buying your tank from?

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 11:10 AM
Check this thread out http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4427036#post4427036

I will have 2 CL drains so im leaning to the 1.5" and my CL return is comming off a OM 4 way with 1.5" lines. I want a wider flow and the pump does 4500gph. If I need to I will go down to 1" but im not doing loc line on the CL but I am on the sump return.

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 11:32 AM
Stay with what you got that looks good. That's going to be an awesome set-up. Man let me know if you need any help.

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 11:40 AM
So would you go with 1.5" or 2" for the holes in the overflow?? I think thats the last thing that I need to decided on for the tank...then I move on to the rest of it :D I might want to check out your 210...I am not certin what I want to do for lighting and have limited views of tanks with MH lighting to compair in person.

Side note where are you a teacher at?

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 11:47 AM
Go with 2" I'm almost positive that Sequence pumps has 2" IN and OUT. so it will be easier to plumb.

Sure man you can come check it out, it's nothing special, I just step up from a 100gal to the 210, so it's not completly polished yet. Just let me know when.

I teach at Riverdale Middle School and I'm Defensive Coordinator and Assistant Basketball coach at Grace King High School.

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 11:52 AM
The seq pump is 1.5" in and out the smaller one the dart is 2" in but still 1.5" out. Thats why im leaning to 1.5 for everthing. The CL intake will be two 1.5" intakes (one per overflow) so the suction pressure by the screens wont be so bad.

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 11:56 AM
Then go 1.5" you'll have no problems, more than enough. You live in N.O. or metairie or what?

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 11:58 AM
The west bank :cool:

Im thinking 1.5" to...that would be less bulky to plump to...and I think it should handel the flow with no problem. I will have an emergency drain in there if not and that can also be converted to a normal sump drain.

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 12:01 PM
Sounds good.

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 12:08 PM
I will be posting pics and I get things in...wont be for a while...guy said it should take 4-5 weeks. Its coming from Canada :D

NOLACLS
03/01/2005, 12:12 PM
I just looked in your gallery...nice looking tank! Did you build that stand and canopy? I am going to do mine from steel tube and encase it in wood...may have to pick your brain on the wood part if you did your own.

tbrennan
03/01/2005, 01:42 PM
From Slidell working in nola

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 03:26 PM
yea, I build it myself, thanks.

eidillitih
03/01/2005, 03:26 PM
yea, I build it myself, thanks.

Snausages01
03/02/2005, 01:41 AM
We got another Wanker (West Banker) out there? I used to live right near Stone Bridge, but now I live up in Baton Rouge.

Again check out the club site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brreefclub/

Just trying to get the word out so everyone know its there.

:)

NOLACLS
03/03/2005, 09:56 AM
Im right by stone bridge as well :D

shells
03/09/2005, 08:34 AM
Just thought i'd say hi to all you N'awlens folks!! ;)
i'm from there myself, but moved to the gulf coast in '88.

reefdood
03/09/2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by shells
Just thought i'd say hi to all you N'awlens folks!! ;)
i'm from there myself, but moved to the gulf coast in '88.

Greetings from the 504 :D

ikinne1
03/11/2005, 07:30 PM
Holdin' it down in Monroe.
Setting up a saltwater store on Louisville Avenue. Look for the grand opening in June(dead time) and the specials I'll run on a few and varied assortment of dry goods, Ro/DI fresh and salt, SPS frags, LPS, and bonafide healthy fishes and anemonae.

Will offer Giesemann, IceCap(in the works), as well as CoralVue and Tunze!

Custom acrylic is also an option. Good prices: 37% x MY Cost of Cast Acrylic in 1/2" plus supplies and minimum labor for Aquaria. 30% x Cost flat for sumps. Examples of both on site for inspection. Just completed a 140g custom job for a local dentist. Pics available.

As of now, tons of SPS frags. Lots of common stuff, 4-5 of my "babies".

Of course, the point is offering a neat set-up, hang out for fellow reefers, and a better-than-the-rest service operation, but the main focus is Prop and breeding. Fish breeding.

Not too impressed with anything Alexandria up cost-wise, value-wise, and set-up wise... time to change that.

Can't compete with Rick or George!

NOLACLS
03/12/2005, 12:16 PM
Sweet another shop :D You will be in monroe?

ikinne1
03/12/2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, the actual Yellow Pages Store Front listing will be in Monroe.
The prop shop is located in rural Calhoun, LA where it shares interest with a horse, 7 llama, 3 kats, and 2 dogs. and 4 people.

I heard rumors of George trying outside prop and lord knows he's probably the Cajun Calfo, but I'm not too willing to try that.
All cultured coral up for grabs are from my own collection fragged and babied under 2-20K, 4-14K 250w MH, and 4 VHO actinics.

cryb99
03/12/2005, 02:28 PM
another westbanker here!!!!!

reefdood
03/13/2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ikinne1
Yes, the actual Yellow Pages Store Front listing will be in Monroe.
The prop shop is located in rural Calhoun, LA where it shares interest with a horse, 7 llama, 3 kats, and 2 dogs. and 4 people.

I heard rumors of George trying outside prop and lord knows he's probably the Cajun Calfo, but I'm not too willing to try that.
All cultured coral up for grabs are from my own collection fragged and babied under 2-20K, 4-14K 250w MH, and 4 VHO actinics.

I'll give ya some business. Replied to the other post ...
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538061&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Wazzel
03/21/2005, 07:12 PM
Metairie here and another Mark. Near Clearview and west Metairie.

eidillitih
03/21/2005, 07:55 PM
Wazzel, good to see someone else is from around here. I live off the I-10 service road near Rummel High School. SPS, you must shop at George and or Rick's. Maybe we've ran across each other. I once worked at Rick's doing the summer.

Wazzel
03/21/2005, 10:23 PM
We are practically neighbors. Which street? I live on Guiffrias ave. My kids go to St. Benilde. I shop mostly at George's. My wife has been cutting his families hair for years so I get good deals.

eidillitih
03/22/2005, 08:45 AM
I live off Caswell Lane, I shop everywhere, Right now I only have LPS and one or two softies. I just switched to the 210 about 10 weeks ago. Moving slowly with SPS. Here is a picture of my tank recently. I found that it take takes time to stock a 210 with coral.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/30886Full_Tank_shot_2.jpg

Wazzel
03/22/2005, 09:33 AM
Looks good. I just got my 60 up and running 3 weeks ago.

reefdood
03/22/2005, 10:13 AM
Lookls great eidillitih. Keep us updated. I need to get over there one day to check it out. Mine isn't too much to look at ATM, but I'm moving at a fast/ moderate pace. :)

eidillitih
03/22/2005, 10:23 AM
yea, anytime, come by and check it out. I'd like to do the same with you guys. I like to see other people set-ups. The only ones I usually see is the LFS, which is not the same.

Wazzel
03/22/2005, 12:13 PM
I'll be free after Easter for show and tell.

csanchez77
03/24/2005, 12:16 PM
Hey Wazzel, I';m still around in bucktown.

Got engaged and had to hold off the hobby for a while so I converted my 65 into a F/W planted. Miss the hobby badly but we are planning on building a house in a few years and I have her full support to build whatever I want for a reef:cool:

Wazzel
03/25/2005, 12:55 AM
Chris

Good to see you at least still have a tank. Check out the lareefclub board and drop in on the local meeting if you have the time.

tgreene
03/30/2005, 02:22 PM
My wife and I just moved down here from Illinois... We're in Mandeville, but actually closer to Abita Springs.

During our move this past weekend, I lost a ton of reef inhabitants, so as soon as I get my new 120 up and running, I could really use some help getting it replenished with some fast growing frags... :(

tbrennan
03/30/2005, 02:41 PM
Does anybody have any cheato in the area I have mexican Proferlia to trade or will buy some. Thanks let me know I would also be interested in gracilia. I am sure i butchered the spelling on all the above let me know thanks tim

cryb99
03/30/2005, 02:50 PM
go check out lareefclub.com to meet some great people.

waranwill
04/25/2005, 11:03 AM
Another Westbanker here, Algiers actually

about to setup a fuge under my tank, anyone know who might make or sell good overflow boxes locally? I'm gonna call George in a coupla hours when he opens.

Thanks

tgreene
04/25/2005, 11:45 AM
George will yell at you if you want to use an external overflow. ;)

I recently bought an Amiracle (large model) from Seatrade Marine (http://www.seatrademarine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT) and received great service. They do have a bunch of the smaller one's at Mr. Fish on the Northshore, but have them priced about double as to what they should be. I( was told they would knock them down 50% though, but since they ****ed me off to begin with, I figured I would support someone else.

Snausages01
04/25/2005, 12:40 PM
I hear lifereef makes good overflows. Jeff at lifereef is a great guy and will give you excellent customer service.

www.lifereef.com

cryb99
04/25/2005, 05:07 PM
lifereef does awesome work........

waranwill
04/25/2005, 09:50 PM
yep george refused and did all but yell at me, nice prediction.
anyways, my 29gal won't fit under the stand I built, about a half inch shy Length and Width.

So instead I'll find me a nice fat eleagance Lps!

tgreene
04/26/2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by waranwill
yep george refused and did all but yell at me, nice prediction.
anyways, my 29gal won't fit under the stand I built, about a half inch shy Length and Width.

So instead I'll find me a nice fat eleagance Lps!
If you need a custom sump built, then contact Custom Glass & Metals on the North Shore on Hwy 59 (just S of Abita Springs). I had Ron build me an awesome sump to my specs, out of 1/4" glass last week. He's very reasonable and extremely articulate. He's also just a few blocks from my house, which makes it nice for me! ;)

If yu want to try him, but don't feel like driving to the NS, I'd be happy to help ya out, since I live there, but work in Metairie...

-Tim

waranwill
04/30/2005, 11:47 AM
gonna hold off on sump/fuge a bit, do some research on overflow boxes. thanks fer the offer though.

29GallonReefer
05/03/2005, 02:30 PM
whats up guys! i live in N.O. We need to get a frag swap going or something to get La on the map for reefs.

Snausages01
05/03/2005, 03:33 PM
We have a meet coming up this weekend! Check out www.lareefclub.com :)

tjay
06/01/2005, 04:24 PM
Locals
Coooool
We just got started with a 90 gallon. Learned right off the bat why you should QT everything. So we are Fallow until mid July.

We are off Jefferson Highway in River Ridge, does anyone ever ge together around town????

Snausages01
06/01/2005, 04:58 PM
We have meets about once every one to two months. We have the June meeting coming up, but we have not set a date yet.

Check out www.lareefclub.com

Also, as time goes on you will find QTing really isn't a must, and if you QT fish you'd need to QT corals, rocks and sand that come into the tank as well.

tjay
06/01/2005, 07:02 PM
Well I wish I could do without it, but I dont plan to deal with ich again if I can possibly avoid it.

Where do you meet?

eidillitih
06/01/2005, 07:05 PM
hey tjay, welcome. I live in Metairie and teach right up the street from you.

tjay
06/01/2005, 07:07 PM
well hello, nice to make contact with others.
We will try and make a meeting sometime. Would love to meet other locals.

eidillitih
06/01/2005, 07:12 PM
Actually, I've never been to a meeting. Even though New Orleans is the hot spot for reef in La.. They don't meet hear often. With my wife and I busy schedule the weekend is our only time. I wish they had more local getting away for a couple hour isn't bad.

tjay
06/01/2005, 07:22 PM
Donna my girl just subscribed to the yahoo group.
If yall are heading out some time shout. We love meeting new folks.

tgreene
06/02/2005, 08:26 AM
My wife and I just moved down here from Illinois in February, and unfortunately lost everything in the move... :( It's taken a few months, but we've just completed setting up a new 125, and have been working closely w/ 'Seven Seas Aquatics' in Mandeville to do so. If anyone locally has a few good clumps of Xenia to spare though, I would forever be greatful!!! :)

BTW: If anyone ever wants to get together for what ever reason, just PM me with your contact info. We work in Metairie (on Edenborn between Vets and 10), so we're pretty much always on the south shore.

tjay
06/02/2005, 05:50 PM
I have some xenia that is growing pretty good. not ready to split just yet but shouldnt be long. If you know how to split it I can share some of mine in a week or two.
I just had a new one pop up out of a rock on its own.

Snausages01
06/02/2005, 06:25 PM
Are you QTing everything that goes into the tank for 6+ weeks? Because weather its corals, rock or sand ich can come in on it if it came from a system with fish.

Truthfully I feel that QTing is just going to cause more stress on fish and possibly cause them to die unless done properly and in a large enough tank. I have read many posts where someone had a powder blue tang and it broke out with ich so they deiced to QT it in a 10-20 gallon tank and it breaks out even worse and dies due to the added stress. If you have a healthy fish and a healthy system ich does not pose much of a threat to fish.

tjay
06/03/2005, 06:45 AM
and there in lies the problem.
How can you be POSITIVE your getting healthy fish.
I have ruled out at least one local shop for buying fish. We were told by the owner he wont stand behind his fish and no local shop will.

That was only our 6th fish and up until I purchased it I felt the exact same way. I have no desire to take down a 90 gallon tank again.

BTW I agree that a poorly done QT is worse for the fish. I am using the recomendations on the sick fish forum here. My QT'd tang is eating and the levels in the tank have stablized. He does not appear to be stressed.

Snausages01
06/03/2005, 07:18 AM
You just have to look at the fish and see how it acts and look at its color and make sure it’s eating, that is all you can do. If you get a healthy fish and you tank is stable (meets all the requirements for the fish) then you should be fine. Sometimes fish just don't make it and that’s something we have to face in this hobby; however, if the fish do not make it chances are sometime happened to in during collection/shipping (and may have shown signs at the shop) or something isn't right with our tanks.

Just keep in mind that a healthy/stress free fish can and will get over ich within a few days, and if one fish has ich and then all the others have ich something is not right within the system.

What store did you have problems with?

tgreene
06/03/2005, 08:30 AM
First off; I do not quarantine... Never have and never will.

I have a new Powder Blue that developed a severe case of Ich a couple of days after putting him into my new system last weekend. On the otherhand, my Naso never developed anything. As soon as I saw the first few bumps on Monday, I raced out to get a Cleaner Shrimp, but as the Ich got worse, I quickly realized that I was also going to need to recruit the services of a Cleaner Wrasse. After 4 days now, the parasites are nearly gone from his body and he's back to eating like a horse! :)

I'm a firm believer in using the natural methods rather than chemicals or QT'ing in a hypo-tank w/ 1.09 salinity.

BTW: 'Seven Seas Aquatics' in Mandeville happens to have a Marine Biology student on staff, and he is the one that determines if or when a fish is ready to be sold. While they are a small store, they are about the only ones I'm willing to deal with these days, due to the others having their set opinions about this or that...

Snausages01
06/03/2005, 10:22 AM
I don't believe cleaner shrimp or wrasse have been proven to eat/pick off ich, in fact most things I have read about them say that it is not in their diet (may want to double check this though).

Again the health of the fish and system will determine how long ich will stay on the fish; however, if the tank and fish are healthy a fish can clear up in a matter of a few days or even over night.

tgreene
06/03/2005, 11:08 AM
Good reading here about Cleaner Wrasses.
http://www.melbourneaquarium.com.au/education/ffcleanerwrss.htm

tjay
06/03/2005, 06:23 PM
I wont discuss the local shop publicly. But would be glad to tell you in a private message.
The sick fish was nothing compared to the poor customer care of the owner and his employee. You know most problems can be resolved with a little give and take on both sides. This is an expensive hobby. With three local shops in New Orleans I would think knowing the value of return business would incline a local shop to keep customers happy.

One think I have to ask is, if local shops wont warranty fish why would you not deal with online dealers that give as much as 14 day warranties.

Also I have read all the articles pro and con on the subject that ich is always present. We all have a responsibility to do what we think is right for our tank and inhabitants. After much reading I have to say it is possible to have an ich free tank, it just takes a lot of patience. Doing a QT has a lot of advantages and problems. Luckily for me I had moved up from a 55 to 90 so I had an extra tank available. I had an extra back pack so the QT is roomy enough for what I have and the levels are good.

I also know lots of people have had tanks for ever and never had to deal with ich, I think it depends on who you buy from. I am learning who I can and can not spend my money with.

Snausages01
06/03/2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by tjay
One think I have to ask is, if local shops wont warranty fish why would you not deal with online dealers that give as much as 14 day warranties.

I have never bought a fish online simply because I can not see the fish. When it comes to buying fish for my tank I am very picky; I like to be able to cherry pick my fish and make sure I get the fish I really want. I look for color, size, personality and health. For example most coral beauties I have seen I do not care for, and I never thought I'd own one, then I saw one in the store like colors I've never seen so I bought it. Also, you have to factor in shipping. The only way I would buy online is if it were a fish I was unable to find locally and could see a picture of it.

Also I have read all the articles pro and con on the subject that ich is always present. We all have a responsibility to do what we think is right for our tank and inhabitants. After much reading I have to say it is possible to have an ich free tank, it just takes a lot of patience. Doing a QT has a lot of advantages and problems. Luckily for me I had moved up from a 55 to 90 so I had an extra tank available. I had an extra back pack so the QT is roomy enough for what I have and the levels are good.

Oh by all means do what you feel comfortable with; I am not in any way saying what you are doing is wrong, and I apologize if I may have come off that way. I was just throwing some things out there that I see a lot of people miss when QTing fish. By the looks of it you appear to be headed in the right direction. What is your method of treating fish while in QT? Also, how are you QTing corals (same tank as the 55? what lighting?)? What types of corals are you keeping SPS, LPS or softies?

I also know lots of people have had tanks for ever and never had to deal with ich, I think it depends on who you buy from. I am learning who I can and can not spend my money with.

Yea I know what you mean. Some shops have rubbed me the wrong way in New Orleans, however upon going in there a second or third time just to look my opinion has changed and I realized everyone is entitled to have a bad day. :) As for health of the fish I have bought fish from two of the three shops (Ricks and AS) and I have had no problems with them; yes while I have lost fish from AS I do not blame it on them.

tjay
06/03/2005, 07:03 PM
Oh by all means do what you feel comfortable with; I am not in any way saying what you are doing is wrong, and I apologize if I may have come off that way. I was just throwing some things out there that I see a lot of people miss when QTing fish. By the looks of it you appear to be headed in the right direction. What is your method of treating fish while in QT? Also, how are you QTing corals (same tank as the 55? what lighting?)? What types of corals are you keeping SPS, LPS or softies?

No worries I didn't take it that way. I think I see it from both positions I just hate messing things up. More ****ed I let it happen than anything.

Right now I have a couple xenia and mushrooms and one long tentacle plate in the tank. Going to stop right there until the tank has another 8 weeks on it.

I dont plan to do SPS for a long time. If I can keep what I have healthy I will add more softies and LPS corals. later.

As far as QT I have not done corals as yet. I have to treat the tang with low salinity so the QT tank wont work for rock or corals until after he is done. I thought about copper but have decided to add as few chemicals as possible going forward.

Right now all that goes in the main tank is buffer and snow for feeding. I am starting a kalk dip this weekend. I was using some stuff called purple up but quit sense I have no clue what is in it.

As far as lighting the QT for corals man that is a tough one. I did see some throw away T5's at coral connection that I may buy for portable lighting. I have a bunch of reading to do on chemistry and corals before starting to buy them. This little ich set back came early and so I have learned to slooooooooooooooooooow down

pettee86
07/18/2005, 08:09 AM
Just stop by to say hello to all the local reef people. I live in Metairie and have just set up an reef. I've had fish only with good success but this is my first attempt at reef. Set up 55g on 7-16 with 80# LR, 80# LS, 1 PC. Need to add protein skimmer but not sure which one, leaning towards the Bak Pak. CC has a knock off that they build themselves any suggestions.

Here's a pic of my new tank will keep ya'll updated. Looking forward to a great looking reef.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/98171Pete_s_Tank_7-16-05_3.jpg :rollface:

tgreene
07/18/2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by pettee86
Need to add protein skimmer but not sure which one, leaning towards the Bak Pak. CC has a knock off that they build themselves any suggestions.I tend to believe that what goes around comes around, and the fact that CC is so open about stealing others' PATENTED designs, would be no different than if any of us were to stop by some day and rob the place blind.

The companies that they have ripped off via their "knock offs", have invested tens or hundreds of thousands to get their products to the point of being marketable, then we have folks that literally lay in wait, to immediately copy these designs w/o any regard to the original manufacturer, and it's done solely for the purpose of lining their own pocketsw/o either having to purchase the original equipment or pay royalty fees in order to copy said products.

In an industry that is so concerned about "ethics", it seems that some have none! :mad2:

pettee86
07/18/2005, 04:11 PM
I kind of feel the same way, that's why I didn't by one from them. Plus its more than the Bak Pak. Still need a good HOB skimmer.

tjay
07/18/2005, 05:21 PM
Tgreene I still have that Xenia frag if you want it, heck I am having to trim the stuff back now it is growing like wildfire.

tgreene
07/18/2005, 05:26 PM
Let's try to get together sometime this week...

tjay
07/18/2005, 05:30 PM
Okie the boss is coming in so Thursday evening is the first night I will be available.
I am getting ready to add my new lights this weekend. I did a website for a guy in Cali so he is sending 2 X 250 Metal Halide Moguls with 4 54 watt T5 actinics and moonlights. Plus fans for the canopy. Ill be around over the weekend doing that but I could run out.

backlash
07/31/2005, 01:07 AM
I'm currently in Monroe, transplanted from St Landry Parish, But I go back home as often as possible!:D GO TIGERS!!!
Originally posted by ikinne1
Holdin' it down in Monroe.
Setting up a saltwater store on Louisville Avenue. Look for the grand opening in June(dead time) and the specials I'll run on a few and varied assortment of dry goods, Ro/DI fresh and salt, SPS frags, LPS, and bonafide healthy fishes and anemonae.

Will offer Giesemann, IceCap(in the works), as well as CoralVue and Tunze!

Custom acrylic is also an option. Good prices: 37% x MY Cost of Cast Acrylic in 1/2" plus supplies and minimum labor for Aquaria. 30% x Cost flat for sumps. Examples of both on site for inspection. Just completed a 140g custom job for a local dentist. Pics available.

As of now, tons of SPS frags. Lots of common stuff, 4-5 of my "babies".

Of course, the point is offering a neat set-up, hang out for fellow reefers, and a better-than-the-rest service operation, but the main focus is Prop and breeding. Fish breeding.

Not too impressed with anything Alexandria up cost-wise, value-wise, and set-up wise... time to change that.

Can't compete with Rick or George! Cool!
Small world, I live a few blocks off Louisville. Lookin' forward visiting your store!

Conceyted
08/11/2005, 10:00 PM
just a little bump. We are from the Metairie/River Ridge area of Louisiana. Anyone else who is new?

jgreen4
08/13/2005, 01:14 AM
I am in N. O., have a few pieces that will be ready t frag (sps). Have plenty of green shrooms ready.

tjay
08/13/2005, 06:09 AM
donna'les and I are here

tjay
08/13/2005, 09:37 AM
I want to try SPS sometime, not sure if my tank is ready. I have the lights now but still working on getting temps stable and settling into a calc and alk routine

pettee86
08/16/2005, 12:46 PM
I'm in Metairie. Just starting to stock my tank so nothing to trade at this time but hope to soon. Will be upgrading lighting today.

tjay
08/16/2005, 12:50 PM
Maybe we should all just plan to raid one of the local shops at a given time and place so we could all meet one another.
I would be open to any shop in NO with the exception of ricks.

tgreene
08/16/2005, 01:01 PM
Saturday November 26th @ Seven Seas would be good, because that's when Eric Borneman will be there... :)

tjay
08/16/2005, 01:22 PM
oh yeah we will make that, but man that is a long way off.
Why dont we pick a shop and a time this Sunday and everyone just come by and say hey to one another.
heck tgreene I could finally get you that xenia and if you have anything you want to share that would be cool, if not no worries we are slowly building the stock. I added a cap this past weekend, my first venture into sps

pettee86
08/16/2005, 01:48 PM
I'd be interested, just post a time.

tjay
08/16/2005, 01:50 PM
Any body else up for this Sunday????

tgreene
08/16/2005, 02:07 PM
Being that I live on the North Shore, I stay up there on Sundays and go to church in Abita Springs...

For those of you that are newer or don't know, we have a really nice and active Louisiana Reef Club forum.

http://www.lareefclub.com/forum/portal.php

eidillitih
08/17/2005, 07:50 PM
Maybe we should all just plan to raid one of the local shops at a given time and place so we could all meet one another.
I would be open to any shop in NO with the exception of ricks.

why not ricks?

tjay
08/17/2005, 08:11 PM
well lets just say we had a bad experience there in fact a series of them.
We wanted to allow a chance for an equitable solution, alas each effort on our part was met with more and more dis respect.
We are happy with the other shops.

water`bug
08/17/2005, 09:06 PM
heck tgreene I could finally get you that xenia

Wait a minute, Sir!! You're giving away the xenia?? I just named it!!!

hehe j/k ;)