firefish2020
02/20/2005, 09:02 PM
Indeed

Nathan4Wvu
02/20/2005, 09:32 PM
Well i don't know where it went but that is really weird

Nathan4Wvu
02/20/2005, 09:33 PM
I don't know if any one else has herd but the pet shop in cross lanes is putting in 4 more reef tanks well i also heard that there going to be sps lps and clams but i don't know if it was the truth or not but im still a new comer but i know that these require expert care and if the other tanks they have are any indication they would kill every thinggg!!!

But just wondering if any one else has heard this or knows something i don't ?!?!?!

Nathan

Nathan4Wvu
02/20/2005, 09:34 PM
There is my orginal post i don't know where it when to but i thought it posted lol WeIrD

LowCel
02/20/2005, 10:45 PM
I think this is one of those times where we are better off just keeping our mouth shut. Afterall, I'm pretty sure everyone here already has their own opinions about that shop.

I still remember when I first got into salt water I stopped by there one day. Even though I told them my tank was only two weeks old they had no problems selling me fish. They sold me two scooter blennies, a yellow tang and two clownfish to go into my 29 gallon tank. Any guesses on how many of them survived?

mcox33
02/21/2005, 09:15 AM
I was over that way a week or so ago and they have removed some tanks in the coral aisle that had had fish in them, that section appeared to have new 2x4's going in and there was a sign that said new coral tanks coming soon.

1package
02/21/2005, 09:18 AM
My guess would be next to none survived. Hate to hear that, hopefully a somewhat isolated event.

The gang in there could definitley be more in the know, sometimes that only comes with experience.

Unfortunately that lack of knowledge is not so uncommon in that business, unless family owed/ran. Before Ron, Barry had part time help (more than 1) that pretty much could only ring up dry goods. I have called Berts with questions and got the, "you will have to ask Jim, he will be in .........".

Perhaps the admission of I do not know is better than attempting to answer or selling?

I heard they were also adding tanks in Crosslanes, in Nitro too for that matter, do not know what either are stocking

Either way, I think the prices are pretty good (at both) and competition is always a good thing for the consumers.

MattG
02/21/2005, 09:29 AM
boy it seems the fish bussiness must be booming...berts is suppose to open another shop and inlandreef is expanding.

I wont say anything about inland expanding other then i think a glance in the store says it all. I think most people looking for quality livestock know where to go and where not to go.

firefish2020
02/21/2005, 07:06 PM
Guys lets not comment on this subject any further like Bruce posted;

"I think this is one of those times where we are better off just keeping our mouth shut"

I know you have the right to post what you want in regards to this but please be careful as to what you say. I can’t say what other places are doing or planning to do I can only comment on what we are doing. Our tank expansion will be for more fish and inverts. Barry wont let me have anymore coral tanks LOL :) But seriously we are planning a rework of the coral tanks which Bruce and Jason know about which will allow us better control of tank parameters. Also in the near future look for an SPS tank but thats all I can comment on at this point in time.

essop3
02/21/2005, 08:43 PM
Competition is always good, even if I do agree with Matt. This thread makes me think... I don't know of very many shops.

Jo-Mars
Inland
Petland

Are there any others?... good or bad

MattG
02/21/2005, 08:57 PM
theres also:

berts over in ironton, oh. They are a good little shop

also seaquariums is over in flatwoods, ky

MattG
02/21/2005, 09:09 PM
also pets and things over in huntington, WV

1package
02/21/2005, 09:47 PM
There was a little shop in Milton that carried some saltwater fish, not much - Robin's nest, I think - if it is still there.

Where is Pets and Things? If it is an older shop, I did not know that they carried saltwater. Do they carry coral and fish?

1package
02/21/2005, 09:49 PM
Jim over at Bert's told me once that most of the tap water in the area was very good, do not know how big "the area" is. He also said if I brought in a sample he would check it out.

LowCel
02/21/2005, 09:54 PM
Lloyd, if you want bring a sample of your tap water to the next meeting and I will test it.

mcox33
02/22/2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by 1package
There was a little shop in Milton that carried some saltwater fish, not much - Robin's nest, I think - if it is still there.

Where is Pets and Things? If it is an older shop, I did not know that they carried saltwater. Do they carry coral and fish?

Sometimes it is always the luck of the draw my mom always tells me I was there and they had all this so I drive to Huntington and they have nothing Mom is like I don't get it they had all this stuff yesterday.

I think they occassionally get in 3- 4 corals at a time
They have been there several years and honestly they don't know a thing about saltwater, and will insist you never need to do a waterchange on saltwater and if you do don't do it more than 25% once a year or at least that is what she (the store owner clerk or whatever she was) tried to tell me. I haven't been back since then

MattG
02/22/2005, 07:42 AM
pets and things has very limited saltwater. usually some fish, an anenome and various other items. its on 8th avenue

Nathan4Wvu
02/22/2005, 03:33 PM
I didn't meen to sound out of hand with what i said i just don't like to see things tourcherd

Nathan4Wvu
02/22/2005, 03:36 PM
Ron glad to here u are adding more tanks Its always good to be growing

firefish2020
02/22/2005, 05:42 PM
We sell out of our shipments withing about 2 days usually, so the idea is to have fish there on the weekends but I dont think it will matter we'll prob just sell twice as many fish :)

Nathan4Wvu
02/22/2005, 06:12 PM
I was just talking to bery about that 20 min ago he said that the warehouse said u sell more fish in a week then most stores sell in a month :-)

wvdaisy
02/23/2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by schscountryboy
I was just talking to bery about that 20 min ago he said that the warehouse said u sell more fish in a week then most stores sell in a month :-)

Just goes to show how many people know where to go for healthy, reasonably priced stock :D