PDA

View Full Version : Please do me a favor:

Muttling
12/27/2001, 02:07 PM
Would some you hard core anemone folks head over to this thread on the main forum and help this guy out. He just wants to know what to feed his anemone and he's getting some crap advice.

I am trying to help him, but I don't know anemones like many of you guys. Here's the thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52959

Thanks in advance.

Leonard
12/27/2001, 02:46 PM
Please help me stop giving out crap advice. I hate it when I do that!

delphinus
12/27/2001, 04:10 PM
Now, now ... :)

I think experimentation is the key to success. Of the three species of host anemones I am currently caring for among all my tanks, all three have a completely unique regimen. For the most part the one common element among all of them is that there is a lot of light and a lot of current. But each has their own "favourite" food and each has their own feeding schedule. It was through experimentation that I came to each one's regimen. BTA's like shrimp, and I feed them no more often than once a week (and not much at that, only a small piece of shrimp). My carpet I have to feed fish 2-3 times per week. My ritteri ... well this thing just plain eats anything and everything but it's favourite food seems to be krill and other plantonic sized crustaceans. I don't target feed the ritteri anymore as it is growing exceptionally fast on me. But it eats anyways, if I were to hazard a guess it is taking 50% of the food I put in the tank for the fish. So even without target feeding that thing is eating several, several times per week anyways.

It only stands to reason that each species will be different and even different individuals among the same species will behave differently. It's very hard to give advice with one broad brushstroke for all species, there will always be caveats and exceptions to rules and the like. There might be some generalizations that we can extrapolate out of a number of different responses, but not always.

cheers

SciGuy2
12/31/2001, 12:10 PM
Len,

I just happened to read about you being banned here at RC on the RO board. Guess everyone shook hands and made up, huh?

-Sci

Dragonlady
01/07/2002, 12:24 PM
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/aug/wb/default.asp

Here is an excellent link for you.