PDA

View Full Version : premature Cardinal baby?

Drewman
12/27/2001, 03:47 AM
Hello,

I am quite confused about what is going on with my banggai pair right now. For at least a year they have been mating, and then the male aborts the eggs within 2 weeks. Then, I moved them from a 45 gal tank to a 90 and they recently mated for the first time in the tank. I got a little curious when he held them past 2 weeks, and now he has been holding the eggs for about 25 days. I have been looking for tails or other things in his mouth but nothing. THen, while i was looking for isopods I saw this on the sand swimming around, going nowhere:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/015/W9/DT/QM/wa53172.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/014/UE/5H/GV/we81906.jpg
It is alive, for the moment anyway. It looks very different than the other babies I have seen pics of. It looks under-developed. What do you think? What is going on? I searched everywhere and this is the only one I found. The male still has something in his mouth. Are baby banggai able to at least swim when they are born or is this normal? Is it possible to save this guy? Thanks for your help.

Drew

afss
12/27/2001, 07:08 AM
I have had a few of these before. keep it seperate from the main tank off course. Offer it BBS the same as you would others. It may not eat at first as it may still be existing on its egg sac.

Scott

Drewman
12/27/2001, 01:54 PM
So it is indeed a premature baby and not just deformed? After you got one of these did you then get normal babies? And if so how long after? Thanks.

Drew

afss
12/27/2001, 11:01 PM
The first time it had babies i got a couple the night before he had them.
The next time when i saw the babies in his mouth i transfered him to the hatch tank.. he spit out one then, 2 days later he spit out another 2, the next day another 1 and the next day another one. after these he spit out normally formed ones for 3 or 4 more days. All told he released babies for 8 days if i remember right.

This isn't normal though, atleast from what i have read, they normally release all in one night i think.
Scott

Drewman
12/27/2001, 11:33 PM
Thanks a lot. I can right now see a lot of babies in his moth right now, time to prepare!:D

FMarini
12/28/2001, 11:53 AM
Drewman:
great photo.....it looks to me to be a very premature baby. From the angle you show it does not appear to be malformed, just maldeveloped. I would guess its about day14 or 15 a few days after hatching. I have seen males eject fry from their mouths when the fry are deformed. I have also seen male when they are frightened release a few fry as they flee. So hopefully by now this fry is eating and developing normally. If it is deformed, it probably will die soon.
Good luck w/ you upcoming banggers
frank