PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Bak-Pak

Shikaroka
02/16/2005, 10:54 AM
Are the Bak-Pak skimmers any good. I've been looking for a small, inexpensive, hang-on skimmer. Is the Bak-Pak a good option? If you have one, do you like it? What are your opinions guys?

LowCel
02/16/2005, 11:11 AM
The bak pak II's are supposed to be pretty good skimmers. I believe they are offered with different pumps as well. If so make sure you don't get the one with the rio pump. There are also some mod's talked about on RC for them to eliminate the micro bubbles they produce.

If you don't care to spend a little extra money I would recommend a AquaC hang on skimmer. Those are supposed to be very nice.

Here is a link to the AquaC. It only costs around $40 more than the bakpak II. Clicky clicky! (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAC-REMORA&Category_Code=AquaC)

shilo_1
02/16/2005, 11:21 AM
I have both (CPR Bakpak and AquaC Remora Pro) and of the two I prefer the Remora. The CPR was on my 46g, and pulled out a good bit of skimmate, but since the Remora has been on the tank (only 3 days now), its pulled out about the same amount of skimmate that the CPR took about a week to get out ! I'm running the CPR on my 10g now.

I would suggest the Remora pro, with mag 3 pump - two thumbs up !

Shikaroka
02/16/2005, 11:25 AM
I figured you would respond. Thanks Bruce.
Here is the one I was looking at:
Bak-Pak 2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4357337847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

So, you think the Aqua-C would be worth the price differnce?

Shikaroka
02/16/2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks Shilo.
It looks like 2 votes for the Remora so far.

shilo_1
02/16/2005, 11:28 AM
If you're planning on running it on your 65g, then I would definately consider spending the bit extra for the remora pro. The CPR is rated for up to 60 or 70g tanks (if I remember correctly), but I personally prefer to get a skimmer that is rated for a tank bigger than what I have.

Shikaroka
02/16/2005, 11:31 AM
Yeh, probably a good idea.

firefish2020
02/16/2005, 07:27 PM
Ive used the BPK2 since I had the 55, works great just get the bubble trap for it.

ellamaeruth
02/19/2005, 08:50 PM
are there any DIY options for reducing bubbles on the Bak Pak?

pappygonefishin2002
02/20/2005, 12:20 PM
Anyone ever used the aquamedic turboflator , will run as a hang on or in sump? Im looking at this one myself for cost and ease of operation. Going to order monday unless someone has had problems with this one

msu
02/22/2005, 09:22 PM
heres a third vote for the remora. i have one and it does a great job. the stiff in the collection cup is nasty and really stinks. also there is really no adjusting to it you just raise or lower the collection cup to adjust the type of meterial it collects. also another plus it there is no air tube. but i would suggest that you upgrade the pump to the mag 3.