PDA

View Full Version : DIY tank controler

OhMatic
10/05/1999, 01:21 AM
Anyone have plans for a DIY aquarium controler like the neptune or octopus?

ReefDawg
10/05/1999, 01:18 PM
Ive thought about that also, I think some kind of computer program would be nessasary, that is where im at a loss. I know there are a lot of these guys out there, just need to find one whose a reefer. Once thats taken care of you would need some kind of interface for the probes, then run the whole thing off of X-10's. Im sure its do'able, jusn not sure what the cost would be.

------------------

ignatz
10/07/1999, 01:50 PM
I am one of those guys, or better said I can write computer programs. The problem isn't writing the code as I see it. The problem is twofold.

1. What hardware will you use to interface the probes with the computer? (I have seen a software package called LabView that has such a device. It costs about $100,000) Once you have figured out a low cost solution to this dilema you will have to figure out how to get information into the program from the probe. That part is fairly simple.

2. What algorithims are you going to use? The Neptune and Octopus controllers simulate sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset, and varying wave patterens. The sunrise/sunset wouldn't be too difficult. I have found this information on the web, but wave simulation. That one is tough. Other than using a random timer to control the length on the wave pulse it is pretty difficult. My controller has 6 different wave patterns that it can emulate. I have no idea where they came up with this info.

Now all of this assumes that you have find a simple way to interface your code with the X-10 software. I have not done enough research to know whether this is possible and if so how to go about it.

-ignatz

goby
10/07/1999, 03:06 PM
ignatz,

a simple D/A controller will work for this application. They are a few hundred bucks for a GOOD one. They are usually pc cards(ISA) and will have like 8 analog and 24 digital lines of I/O. I will try and dig up some more info on them if you would like. I used to work with some people that did real time data aquisition on lab animals with similar devices to what we are talking about here. (I didnt do the work on the animals, I just worked on the buildings network infrastrcture.) anyways, I was really into hobby robotics at the time, and my boss was the programmer that did all the pc interfacing to the hardware. He was helping me understand the way it all works when the university ran out of money to pay me. I'll email him and see if he has any more info on it and where to get them.

g
o
b
y

------------------
The quest ( and the questions) continues...
www.iag.net/~vigg (http://www.iag.net/~vigg)

finsoup
10/07/1999, 11:48 PM
This is the best one that I have seen that is in the works. http://www.mindspring.com/~ckhorne/

ignatz
10/08/1999, 08:49 AM
goby,

Very cool, that solves one problem. Sorta. The cost involved at this point would be the most prohibitive factor. As I see it, the project so far involves a PC (I know I have a 486 laying around somewhere http://216.79.36.30/ubb/smile.gif ), a data aquisition board, various probes. The software would be free since it would have to be custom made. This would make a great project. http://216.79.36.30/ubb/smile.gif Any takers?

JOMO
-ignatz

goby
10/08/1999, 10:22 AM
ignatz,

check out the link that finsoup has provided above, this guy is making one, and its not just vaporware. There is also a great thread about it on another board http://216.79.36.30/ubb/wink.gif. You dont even need a pc for it, you can just use an eeprom or a flash ram and a pc link to it via serial cable. This way you can make a nice visual front end for it, and just hook it up via serial cable then flash the sucker to program it to do lighting, etc.

g
o
b
y

------------------
The quest ( and the questions) continues...
www.iag.net/~vigg (http://www.iag.net/~vigg)

Alan
10/10/1999, 12:30 PM
All,
Particularly OhMatic, Ignatz, and Goby.
I’m working with the Chris and Scottie to get the A/D input to the PC up. I want what most of us do, that includes not spending the $400+ to $1000 to get a good A/D tech. The A/D tech for use should cost form $50 to $100 for us. You may want to check the info on the AL, maybe I’ll copy a section over here. I do not like the multiple sites thing. I do not have the time, so I’ll have to pick one, since I’m at the other a know there, that is a plus.

We us LabView at work, i thought about it for us, but it is awful for us, very unfriendly.

*** FROM AL site, my post in response to a question ***
The “product� being discussed has the temperature measurement only as one feature. The temperature measurement is for ORP & pH probe temperature induced variation compensation. Additionally it can be used for monitoring or controlling.
Not using potentiometers to calibrate probes or set points is the idea, as was stated in post info above.
For my interest I want a “unit� that will interface into my computer to monitor and data log my parameter and be able to, but not required to, control items. Although there are units that can do this, they have either a price point not justified by a DIY comparison, or they lack critical features/performance not needed by the general market. The Neptune, Octopus, X10, standard computer I/O cards are the comparative bench marks.
I expect the unit to be able to monitor (and control if desired) and log (via external port) such things as Temperature of the water & room, light intensity, pH, ORP, salinity, sump level, (and other similar probes), ca-reactor, skimmer, pump functions and of course etc.
If I could get a descent A/D card for $200, that would decrease my interest, but they are about $600+ as the market price point.

[This message has been edited by Alan (edited 10-10-1999).]

OhMatic
10/12/1999, 04:10 PM
Alan,
There are many more than two boards out there.
I can think of seven off the top of my head.
But I respect the knowledge of most of the people here.
Let us know if you can find a A/D board that willwork. I used to work in silicon valley before I retired (the first time) so if I can be of any help in locating a source let me know.