PDA

View Full Version : Now I need to rewire the house?

ReefDawg
10/09/1999, 11:04 PM
OK, A first I thought it would be great to have a large tank, the more I started looking around, the more I liked the idea of a reef tank. Every time I turned around I discovered something else I needed or had to do to be sucessfull. Now Im reading about rewireing the house! Im no electriction, but when does this become nessasary?
This is what I plan on running on the tank so far, can anyone tell me if I need to run on two separate circuts?

Iwaki WMD 30 RLXT says 1 amp, is this right?
2 X 400w halide
4 X 13w PC's
1 Rio 3100
2 Rio 1700's
2 Rio 800's
4 4" muffin fans
2 200w heaters
another PH for top-off
poss more 13w PC's to ballance color of tank

Any advice would be helpfull, I also understand that I need tto find out what else will be on the circut, radio,lights, etc..

------------------
A mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open.

Alan
10/10/1999, 12:50 PM
If I add up the current, I get about 15 amps. for running. The circuits are rated at 15 amps. So yest you need a new circuit.

Nemo
10/12/1999, 07:17 AM
ReefDawg,
I recently set-up a 150 gallon and was in your same situation of figuring load on the circuits. You must also consider that ballasts for you lights will draw alot more current when they are first turned on thus increasing your load.
I installed two dedicated 20 amp circuits for my reef. One for my Lights and one for everything else. Both of these circuits have inline GFI outlets for safety reasons. In order to allow 20 amps of load 12-2 wire was installed ( normal wire for a 15 amp breaker is smaller guage ).
This extra wiring was pretty inexpensive but took quite a while to install. Luckily I had the free help of an electrician to help me out with this project. When you consider how quickly your system can go south if it looses power the cost involved seems insignifigant.
HTH
Nemo