PDA

View Full Version : tank update/hermit for trade

surfnvb7
02/11/2005, 01:35 PM
Hey again ya'll.

I got the maxi-jet pumps into the tank now for a couple of days. I got 2 brand new maxi-jet 900's for $20 off ebay, pretty good deal. Good thing I didn't get the 1200's because it took me a couple of days to figure out how to aim them without blowing sand all over the place.

But everything is good now and ready for any of those extra frags of zoos, mushrooms, pulsing xenia or other things you all were gracious enough to offer.

Also, a guy I have been in contact with and got some raw chemical fertilzers for my planted tank sent me a pretty cool hermit crab because he was sent too many from drs.fostersmith in an order misshap. He didn't have to pay for it and they let him keep all of them, so he has been giving them away.

It is an Electric Blue Hermit Crab from the Marshall Islands. Here is the pic of it still in the bag currently acclimating to my tank as of 1pm today (friday). http://filebox.vt.edu/users/ayoung/misc/electric%20blue%20hermit%20crab.jpg

He snuck a peak out a minute ago and lookd awesome! He looks exactly like the crab in this pic. electric blue hermit crab (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1479)

It looks like it has snagged a pretty cool conch shell, maybe a little over 2inches long. It is obviously too big for my tank, and I don't have enough algae for something that size to snack on. It is alive, as I have seen it taking some peeks out of the shell. So I am willing to trade it for a cool coral frag, or something else if anyone is up for it.

If you want to wait for a couple of days to make sure it lives ok, that is cool too. I just am going to need some macro algae or something for it to eat for the time being, because I have none in my fuge yet.

Anyways, hit me up on here or IM (hokieatrain7) if you are interested.

Manderx, Shivaji, mbort? any of you all want to meet up this evening or tomorrow? Let me know.

PS- this crab is so cool! i wish i could keep him! :(

surfnvb7
02/11/2005, 01:43 PM
In closer observation, I'd say the "black" on his legs is more like a good purple color. I tried to get a better pic, but he keeps going back into his shell when I get the camera out.

WILDTHING
02/11/2005, 02:28 PM
Actually one of the problems with crabs in general is that they are omnivors so eat anything. If there is not a easy meal to be had they will kill and eat other animals. Dr Ron suggests that they are really not eating algae as much as picking through it to find small particles of food stuck in the algae. Anyway all of this was to tell you not to worry about feeding it anything special, a tiny piece of shrimp or even flake or pellets will be fine for him till you find him a new home. If you have snails watch their back.

colleen

Shivaji
02/12/2005, 06:13 PM
Sent you a PM. I can give you some stuff if we meet tomorrow (Sunday) as I am going to Richmond for a few days - leaving late afternoon.

mbort
02/13/2005, 01:46 PM
This week may be pretty rough for me, but let me know if you have an evening available and I'll try to meet up with you.

Also sent pm...