PDA

View Full Version : Anemone types I could house?

IFLY2HIGH
12/23/2001, 03:02 PM
I have two 55 watt power compacts, 110 watts, and I'm wondering if I can keep any types of anemones with this light setup. I'm also interested in keeping 1-2 percs in the tank. I understand that clownfish don't need an anemone, but I would like to have one. My other current tank inhabants are; bi-color dottyback and a CBS. The only other fish that will be added will be a 6-line wrass(sp?).

I do want to keep corals but those will be shrooms and polyps. Not sure if the anemone will sting them or not.

Thanks...

jbf16falcon
12/23/2001, 11:27 PM
What size is the tank? You won't like my answer. If your system has been up and running stable for say a year, you have a good turn over rate of water and good current you might sustain one for a year or so. I keep Rose Bubble Tips and had light conditions very similar to yours. I could always keep one alive for a year or so and then it would go into a slow steady decline. Each ended up in failure. Remember at least on the RBTA's light plays a more important role in it's production of useable food. I feed my anemones once evey three days but their efficient usage of that food is low as compared what they gain from good lighting. I now run 5.4 watts per gallon and have 50 producing RBTA's. I started with this rose and it's split two and a half years ago. I had a very high turn over rate of water in the tank, skimmed, and good current even in the days of all the losses. When I added good lighting the two RBTA's immediatly began to look better, grow bigger, and started splitting.
Mine are also under VHO's. My tank is 175 gal, with 10 three foot VHO's, six are 50/50's, two Aqua Suns, and two A-03's. I continue to play with the mixture of tubes though. So all in all, if you have say a 29 gal tank you might get by depending on how close to the light the anemone settles down. Remember this information is provided based on my experiences over the last 6.5 years and I'm sure others probably have different ideas on the subject of lighting. I can only relate what works for me and hope you don't have the poor luck I had with anemones in the beginning.

IFLY2HIGH
12/23/2001, 11:47 PM
Yes, indeed I have a 29 gallon tank sustaining only 3.75 watts of light per gallon. The light setup is new, and there will be no chages in the future for this tank. I have a 15 gallon sump, with a lighted refuge, and a berlin skimmer. While my tank's filtration is a bit overkill, this is still a new setup and don't want to disturb it with the possibility of dieing animals, or even puting them through that aspect.

jbf16falcon
12/24/2001, 10:11 AM
Well I was hoping it was a 29 as anything larger and the lighting would have been questionable for a lot of corals IMO. Sounds like a really nice setup. I don't think there is such thing as overkill on the filtration. It's easy to cut back on skimming if you need to, if you already have the equipment. It's harder to add what you don't have. Much like you there are things I wish I could add to my system that I just really can't, or at least I won't because I know I wouldn't be doing the animal justice. I long for an SPS tank but have settled for what works best for me and the system I do have. It's a much more rewarding hobby once we find a balance that supports both our sucess and the animals sucess.
Wish I had entered the hobby with the same realistic attitude you seem to have.