PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthid Control.....Free!!!

Meisen
02/09/2005, 07:41 PM
Hey all, I know there are some hardcore SPS only people on here from talking to some of you at the meeting. Anyway, I just got a zoanthid colony in with, lo and behold, a sundial snail. Cute little critter had half a zoa polyp already in its probosis when I plucked him off. Anyway, I hate killing stuff even if it is a hitchiker. If anyone wants this guy, I will hold him for the first person that posts or pms me. The nice thing about these as opposed to Berghia is that they won't breed (well, not one of them at least and likely not even a group of them) nor do they usually leave the colony you put them on. That way, when you decide that you are bored with SPS and want zoas to grow again, you arent out of luck. They work slowly but would certainly be enough to keep a few encroaching zoa colonies at bay. Anyway, LMK. I wont refuse a small frag for him but thats totally up to you.

I will post a pic a little later tonight or tomorrow just so anyone who hasnt seen one can do so. Really pretty I think.

tapper of spines
02/13/2005, 05:12 PM
I have never heard of this animal. Do you have a pic?

TOS

Meisen
02/14/2005, 12:24 PM
You know, I grabbed a couple pics but I am not sure where the memory card I have them on went. I am sure they arent very good anyway, my camera stinks at macros. Anyway, I traded him yesterday (to someone who wants to get rid of their zoas) at the swap so hopefully the little guy will continue on in zoanthids chomping glory. Here is a link to a pic on the web:

http://www.amonline.net.au/invertebrates/mal/gallery/philipp.htm

Mine was not red like this one....just black and white but otherwise the same. There is a characteristic spiral shape to the shell with alternating bands of light and dark. The truly diagnostic characteristic of this genus is the thorn-shaped operculum. Looks almost like a tooth sticking out when the snail is closed up. From what I can gather these animals are obligate zoanthid/colonial anemone parasites and are rarely found away from zoanthid colonies in the trade. Too bad they dont eat aiptasia and majanos instead.....!

Good to check for these guys on any new zoas that you get. That and the nudibranchs that also feed on them though the snails are much easier to control.