PDA

View Full Version : How do I get started with SCUBA diving?

alligator
12/21/2001, 03:46 PM
I live in Minnesota, and I've seen the ocean two times in my life. One time was in Canada and one time was in Norway. I actually tried to swim in it in Canada - until I noticed the bottom was entirely covered in crabs (big ones!).

I'd like to try diving but I don't know where to start. How long are the training courses?

I've gone diving once before in a 50' indoor tank, but that was about it.

What can I expect to spend?

turbo800
12/21/2001, 11:33 PM
alligator, where you live is like where I live (ohio). There really is no ocean near. I'm am enrolled in a class starting in Jan 2002 to learn to dive. It's supposed to take at least 2 months with classes twice a week then the open water certification dive. My instructor says it'll be about 2 months of instruction with at least 1 month of pool training. A good way to find divers in your area is through the dive organizations. 1 is padi.com, another is naui.com. I haven't reseached the sites very well but you should be able to find a local dive instructor thru one of these 2 organizations. I got lucky. My wife works with an instructor so we're getting the training for $150.00 each. The local dive shop is asking $325.00 and specializes in nitrox training. A diver I know says to take the nitrox training right away if its available cuz you'll want it later. It's supposed to be a healthier alternative to just oxygen diving...allowing longer dive times with less decompression on the way out of the water. Good luck & I hope to run into you somewhere in the warm waters down south of us.
turbo

turbo800
12/21/2001, 11:36 PM
I should clarify. The training time is 2 months incuding the pool training.
turbo

micagreenmachine
01/13/2002, 03:12 PM
My Fiance got certified last year at the YMCA. It took about three months. We went to Cozumel to have an old friend of mine do her open-water check dive and she was quite confident diving in the ocean. I'd recommend starting there to anyone. Just keep in mind that to "finish" you'll have to do your certification somewhere other than in a swimming pool. I'd pick a warm tropical place with great reefs, like Cozumel.

~Todd

luminary
01/14/2002, 08:38 AM
Couple things to add...

In addition to the class cost (it's about $200 here in Tampa, FL..including the checkout dives), you will need to purchase dive quality snorkel gear (mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt). Expect it to be around $150-$200. DON'T skimp on them! Get a good mask and a good set of fins. It will make diving much more enjoyable. You should also consider getting a wetsuit if you will be regularly diving in cooler water (you can get a shorty for less than $100 and a full suit for less than $200).

If you have the choice, make sure at least one of your checkout dives is not really shallow. My girlfriend got her c-card last spring and none of the dives went deeper than 20 feet. Also, none of them was off a boat. Basically, I feel that at least one of your checkout dives should be in the 35-45 foot range and off a boat. This is where much of the recreational diving range is.

It's a great experience. I've been diving for 12 years. After I setup my first reef tank, the diving got even more interesting!

Reefmaiden
01/23/2002, 12:21 AM
Alligator-

I live in Arizona (middle of the desert!) and I got certified about 3 years ago. The dive shop here offered an accelerated weekend class, I believe it was 4 eight hour days (on the weekend) then we did a lake dive, then we took our certification dive in California. I believe it took me a couple months (biggest wait was saving the money to go on the certification dive). I would definately recommend going on a boat dive for your cert dives, rather than a beach dive! The beach dives were horrible - but the day we spent on the boat was wonderful.

Luminary is right; you will have to spend I'd say at least $200 for your basic equipment, $300 is more realistic (at least around here) and then if you are like most you will probably want to buy your BC and wetsuit since the rented gear just isn't as nice.

Good luck on your certification, if you do decide to do it you'll love it -- its great!

hcs3
01/28/2002, 02:50 AM
i did the classwork and tests via CD ROM at home. i'd guess roughly 15 hours spent reading and answering questions.

i took the tests with me on my honeymoon where i did my open water dives. i was certified in 3 days while taking my classes on the reefs of jamaica.

i could not imagine doing the classes in any other method.

HTH

henry

rockybound
02/01/2002, 09:49 PM
Depending on the classes that are offered, you are able to do the pool work and classes in a weekend - that's how I did it. 2 days, 8 hours a day with pool time both days. Did our open water tests in a resevoir here in Denver (brr!) and was ready for Cozumel the next week. There are a variety of ways to get certified, but ask around and find the best store, not necessarily the cheapest. This is your life you're dealing with and proper instruction with proper equipment is vital.

For most places, for open water, you'll only have to provide a mask, snorkel and fins. Everything else should be provided depending on where you get certified. Check this web site for the best information on the net, IMHO:

www.scubadiving.com

It's a great, addicting, and somewhat expensive hobby. Not unlike another one we know about........ :D