PDA

View Full Version : HELP...have a question on feeding bangaii fry

elutris
12/21/2001, 03:32 PM
Well, I have my first set of little ones! I'm very excited but I have one feeding question. I have the culture of brine shrimp nauplii all ready to go, but have noticed that there some cysts/shells floating in the suspension. I have heard that with clownfish fry these must be separated out because they can choke on them. Is this also true for Bangaii fry? I'm currently separating them out prior to feeding. But if it's not necessary, then it will make the feeding process much easier!:p

Guy
12/21/2001, 05:02 PM
Definately keep seperating the shells! Also be sure to enrich the nauplii.

FMarini
12/21/2001, 05:17 PM
Hi:
Guys definately right.

Try to seperate the eggs shells from the nauplii. One way i found was to use a siphon and drain off the nauplii from underneath, whereas the egg shells float. Also if you set up your BBS hatchery correctly you can drain from the bottom away from the shell.
Lastly, make sure you use Selcon and/or zoecon to the BBS. I've also used phytoplanktons as well.Remember that BBS are as nutritious as YOU make them.
Enjoy your new fishes.
good luck
frank

Sally
12/21/2001, 07:25 PM
I decapsulate my eggs before I hatch them...that way you don't have to worry about the shells. I am having a hard time weaning my baby cardinals (2 weeks old ) off of the BBS. They seem to let the other food just fall down in front of them. I guess I have to let them go hungry for a day....I just don't want them to starve if I do that...I've invested so much time into them. They don't seem to want the prawn eggs either.

elutris
12/21/2001, 07:29 PM
Thank you all for your quick and informative replies. My pair were juveniles when I purchased them and I didn't expect them to spawn so soon. Consequently I was caught a bit off guard. Although I had already done some general research, I've had to do a cram course to catchup. I'm very grateful for this forum and the wealth of information it provides.