PDA

View Full Version : Ozonators

mcox33
02/06/2005, 12:40 AM
Okay I hooked mine up to the protein skimmer this evening. Then I could smell it in the sump so I turned it off for a while and then turned it back on for a while then off again so I wouldn't forget to turn it off before going to sleep.

Anyway I have, the brown algae thing and some bubble stuff too, going on from playing in the tank to much lately. IE rearranging all the rock in the tank, removed at least half of the sand and then switched out the wet/dry for a tidepool

It would seem that the ozonator eats it. It just seemed to start disappearing before my eyes. This was before lights out.

However I'm not real sure the candy cane likes it.

If any one else has one running with a candy cane let me know how yours reacts to the ozonator,

I have a test kit for ozone and will test before turning it on in the morning and again after it has run for a while and post the results.

pappygonefishin2002
02/06/2005, 08:50 AM
okay looking at it from the front I hooked the skimmer tube to the right outlet of the ozonator, on the left I installed a short piece of tubing with an air diffuser on it, is this correct set up? ......No directions!

dragon_slayer
02/06/2005, 09:00 AM
my CC has positive responses to O3, the water clarity improves light penetration into the water and therefore gives him more light.

if your smelling it with it on, then your either pushing in way to much or your skimmer is not sucking it in efficiently. you should also be using ORP to regulate it.

testing for O3 is a waste of a test kit, the O3 is so reactive even if you did have residual going into the tank, it would be gone by the time your test kit tested for it, and if your kit showed signs of residual O3 then the levels in the tank required to do so would be toxic to life in the system and at a considerably higher level then the test kit then showed.

hth
kc

dragon_slayer
02/06/2005, 09:02 AM
as for the correct connections, if you can smell the O3 at the diffuser then you have them backward, you can also feel the air pump pushing air through the unit as well with your hand close to the output.

kc

H.crispa
02/06/2005, 09:04 AM
All you need to do is hook it up so that air blows through it from one outlet to the other, using an air pump. It does not matter which way the air blows. Whatever side the air is coming out is where you put the airline with the diffuser on it going into your skimmer. If your skimmer draws air in though a venturi, simply plug the airline going into the venturi into either side of the ozonator. The venturi will draw through the ozonator-- no airpump needed.

Don't forget folks, watch your tank closely while it is turned on, at least for the first few days. If anything closes up, push the little gray button to turn it off for a while. If you need to you can run it intermittently. I doubt you will have to run it intermittently unless you have a really tiny tank or if you are using a Seaclone.

pappygonefishin2002
02/06/2005, 09:30 AM
okay, thanks all its up and running Ill be keeping an eye on everything.