PDA

View Full Version : Topic for the February meeting

tooshay
02/04/2005, 06:24 AM
Does anyone have an idea for a topic for the next meeting?
I am not sure if it would be realistic, but it would be fun to have everyone bring their digital cameras. We could all take pictures and view them on my computer, and compare what settings and tricks each of us use to get those great shots.
Everyone start throwing out ideas for this and future meetings so we can get some agendas in place. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 19th!! :D Sherry

GregM779
02/04/2005, 09:53 AM
The camera idea is neat, I'll bring my laptop if we do it so we have room to work. Someone also mentioned ozone at the last meeting and that is a topic I'm interested in but we can do that at another meeting.

tooshay
02/04/2005, 10:46 AM
Another topic that would be interesting is culturing live foods. If anyone in the club cultures their own rotifers, copepods or phyto, I would love to get the details.

dgasmd
02/04/2005, 02:58 PM
I thought that Andy was talking about ozone. We can certainly talk about something else if the majority prefers it that way though.

tooshay
02/04/2005, 03:04 PM
An ozone talk is fine with me. We can keep a list of other topics people might be interested in for future meetings. :)

KING OF THE REEF
02/04/2005, 11:52 PM
How about propagation of corals. doesnt matter what sp it is.

Bocaswim
02/05/2005, 08:09 AM
I am hoping to get more info on Ozone and I really would like to learn more about great picture taking. Isn't there an RC mod that lives somewhere in FL that is an experrt in the Photography forum? I remember seeing great pictures he took of Bomber's tank. Anyway perhaps we could ask him if he would be willing to come to one of our meeting in the future and teach us how to better utilize our cameras and software.

dgasmd
02/05/2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Bocaswim
I am hoping to get more info on Ozone and I really would like to learn more about great picture taking. Isn't there an RC mod that lives somewhere in FL that is an experrt in the Photography forum? I remember seeing great pictures he took of Bomber's tank. Anyway perhaps we could ask him if he would be willing to come to one of our meeting in the future and teach us how to better utilize our cameras and software.

The talk about coral propagation can be done, but I can tell you given the differences in technique due to the different corals, it may be something we split in 2 or even 3. A great start is to actually read Anthony Calfo's book of coral propagation.

Ozone is a very doable (is that even a real word?) subject.

The moderator you refer to is GregT. I can contact him and ask if you guys want to.

Other subjects that can be done in the future are:

carbon
refugiums
Phosphate removing media
test kits- a comparision
good water quality
water quality for soft vs hard corals
set ups
MH bulbs
ballasts and reflectors
VHO lighting
glass vs acrylic tanks
reef fish
FO tanks
aggressive fish
temperature and its regulation
automation
monitors and controllers
water flow for soft vs hard vs FO tanks
live food propagation like rotifers, phytoplankton, brine shrimp
fish breeding
books and how to interpret the literature available through research
I read an article. Is that gosspel now?

Alberto

tooshay
02/05/2005, 11:51 AM
Wow!!! We are going to be some smart reefers after learning about all that stuff! These topics sound GREAT!!!

KING OF THE REEF
02/05/2005, 10:58 PM
the refugeiums idea is perfect lol

Clarkii Tu
02/08/2005, 10:06 PM
I'M interested in all the subjects mentioned. But sometime in the future or if anyone is ever propagating corals, I would really like to watch. I have a colt that is going to grow out of my tank and I'M seriously having a problem thinking about butchering the poor thing. I realize that its supposed be one of the easiest to propagate, but I would rather not experiment.

KING OF THE REEF
02/09/2005, 09:29 PM
hey clarkii tu it is really easy to do
just get a pair or cutters like tissue ones and then snip the base of the poylps (not the stalk but the bottom of the polyps) then put the frag onto some rubble and then your good

Clarkii Tu
02/09/2005, 11:08 PM
Sorry about all the questions.. But I just don't want to screw up the whole tank.. cost to much to get where I'M at if you know what I mean..

Is this done in the main tank? Or do you need to pull the whole rock out that its attached too? Will ikea gooey slimy stuff ooze out into the display tank? I would imagine the stalk will grow new polyps? Will the stalks shrink without polyps? I hope so.. Or how many polyps can you snip off at a time does it really matter? Polyps in rubble in the sump? How do you keep the frags from blowing all over the place? Pile rubble on and around the sniped end?.

The one I have, took a little while for it to find a good place that it liked and I liked, once we settled our differences it got attached and I don't think I will ever get it unattached. Unfortunately its on a pretty good size rock.

KING OF THE REEF
02/10/2005, 01:43 AM
you can do it any where you like it will not slime up plus pile on rubble to the frag for about a week then youll bee good

j's55
02/10/2005, 09:10 PM
I would really be interested in cultureing live foods. I have dwarf seahorses so I do all that kind of stuff.

maybe we can do a little of all Refugiums, live foods. we dont have to stay on one topic do we?

KING OF THE REEF
02/11/2005, 06:47 PM
hey j'ss where my pic of that ric i want i need to see it so i can offer you something

ol'reefer
02/11/2005, 08:18 PM
I would volunteer to talk about lighting as that is an area I am pretty good in.