PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Answers

jfro
02/02/2005, 10:35 PM
Hi. I live in northern Nevada and the reef-keeping hobby just hasn't exploded here yet. I'm sure there would be many reef enthusiasts but the truth is, we have very little in the way of LFS's, and no reef clubs so I'm basically flying solo.

I feel I've learned about as much as I can on my own. I've purchased books, researched the internet and subscribe to magazines. Still, this can only take someone so far.

Not having money and unlimited space, I can't set-up lots of tanks and learn through trial and error what works best. I also struggle with water chemistry - I understand the basics but when some of these guys start talking about this ion doing one thing and this proton reacting that way - I'm done.

I'm looking for a mentor - one knowledgable, experienced person to help me out in a one-on-one type of setting. I recently purchased a 252G tank, a big step-up for me (I currently have 75G, 30G, 20G and 6G reef tanks up and running). I've gained a lot of knowledge, but this tank is different. I plan on plumbing it into another room to make maintenance easier - and I intend to get good equipment. I'll also do some DYI (I'm not wealthy - just a state worker). Naturally, I don't have experience in this type of system.

I'm also interested in opening a salt-water aquarium store and have some specific ideas, but again, I need guidance.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to get started but I don't know how else to proceed. Maybe you can help me, or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

Anthony Calfo
02/02/2005, 10:50 PM
there is lots of good information on the Internet here and at large, but take it all collectively with perspective. The accuracy of such info varies.

For the considerable investment you have made as a hobbyist with hundreds of gallons, and the bigger investment you will make as a merchant... some of the best information and people you can find to network with and glean info from are at regional and national conferences.

Get to some of these shows and make connections... you will learn so much this way. IMAC.org, MACNA... big shows in Washington, all through Cali, etc.

Do find cheap airfare, buddies to share room with (easily meeting fellow hobbyists on threads for such conferences here on RC to perhaps share expenses with)... but get out and see the professional side of the hobby. Or rather, organized enthusiasts at least. It will be money well spent. Frankly... its money much better spent than having an extra one of those aquariums on your list. Resist setting up another tank or sell off one of your smaller ones if that's what it takes to pay your way to Nirvana (the state of enlightenment... not the band)

FWIW... I keep a list of shows that I attend here:
http://www.readingtrees.com/meet_the_authors.htm

please feel welcome to join along, drink some beers and talk about hobby or business with us. Most everyone is kind and sharing with information :)

melev
02/06/2005, 04:12 AM
jfro, not to take a single thought away from Anthony, I would merely like to suggest you visit my website for some help. Reef Central is amazing in that it has tons of excellent information from a ton of knowledgeable people. What I've gleaned from reading here, as well as attending MACNA three times, plus by reading books and magazines has been documented on my site in a way to help other hobbyists seeking some guidelines they can follow.

If I can help you, let me know.

As a habit, I try to find a good thread to assist with in the Reef Discussions Forum, and then I stick with it permanently. That way as the person learns the ins & outs of their system, I can guide them with answers or simply be there for support. I don't have all the answers, but perhaps I know a good source to turn to when needed.

Keep doing what you are doing now: asking questions and looking for answers. These are the keys to success. Add patience, too!

Anthony Calfo
02/06/2005, 07:18 PM
yes! the more information the better :) While not all that you find is similarly accurate, its all good in an effort to form an intelligent consensus.

I'd much rather hear 83 out of 100 people agree on a point than proceed on the advice of 3 out of 4 ;)

Thanks for your efforts/contributions Marc :)