PDA

View Full Version : First timer going to PROP.

JUMBO
02/02/2005, 09:23 PM
This will be my first time going to one of these frag swap type of things. I am not sure how it works. I did read teh Prop Faq and auction rules, but could someone kind of tell me how this thing works. this is how I invision it, let me know if there is anything specific I should know:

show up at 1pm...sign up...talk with people or get some pizza...2pm auction starts...I buy glorious corals!!!

When can you look at the sale items? before or during the auction?

How long does it normally run for?

It sounds like most people bring SPS for trade and sell. Because I wont have my 250w MH set up till april, I wont be able to buy any SPS yet.

So I was looking to buy some some frags of GSP, xenia, and maybe some zoas at PROP, do people normally bring these type corals at this auction?

I apologize for my newbness but any help or reference from someone who has been to one would be great!

It sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun!!

Thanks,

JUMBO

CrystalAZ
02/02/2005, 10:09 PM
Yep, basically, you get there, register as a buyer and get your number, grab pizza and a free soda (tell them you are with the auction) or a beer (not free :D ) and find a spot to sit. The auction area is a private room with a door off to the left of the order counter.

Then you talk while all the sellers finish registering. Everyone is really friendly. I was scared to walk into a room of people I don't know the first time, but found that there were a lot of people who were new and it wasn't "clique-y" at all.

It isn't easy to look at stuff beforehand, as all the bags and containers are stuffed into different coolers.

When it starts, whoever is the auctioneer will tell you what the first item for sale is, whether there are more than one of them, and what the starting price is. If you want to see it, this is the time. He or one of his cronies (Hehehe) will walk the sale item up and down the tables and let anyone who is interested take a look.

If it is something you want, bid. Normally, bidding goes up in $1 increments, but if someone really wants something, they may go up more.

Once it gets too rich for your blood or just not worth it to you, stop bidding. :D

If you win, they will ask for your number and will write it down. They'll hand you the item you won. Then it goes on to the next item. At the end of the auction, you'll get in line to pay for all the items you won.

Normally, there is a good mix of SPS, LPS, and softies... so you should be able to find some stuff you want. Usually common stuff goes really cheap so it is a great place for newbies to get some starter corals.

How long it runs depends on how many items there are. It has been as short as just over an hour to 4 or so hours.

It is definitely fun, and there are always some good laughs.

BRING:

A small cooler to put your corals into
Ca$h
Light clothing and a sweater/sweatshirt/jacket - you never know if it is going to be hot or cold in there

I wish I could make this one, but I should have lots to sell at the next one.

Crystal

dmorel
02/02/2005, 11:04 PM
Wow, thank you crystal! Nice to not be the PROP mouth piece for once :)

Jumbo, it's mostly mellow. There will be a tall skinny guy in a ball cap doing the auctioning. He's kind of funny looking and likes to make jokes that only he thinks are funny. Some people call him David... Erin, Durwin, Gordon, and Mike should be there doing all sorts of stuff related to money. That Dave guy hates being involved in anything that requires keeping records or anything.
Feel free to ask questions and most importantly have fun.
I doubt it will be a huge gathering, since the response has been pretty low key on the forums, but I think it will be a nice sized group of friendly people.

See you Saturday, and ask as many questions as you want. We're here to help.
-dm

leheath
02/03/2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks Crystal for the info! :D

I have been to several FRAG meetings, but this will be my first PROP auction and I have a question....

Do you have to pay with cash, or do people accept cheques?

dmorel
02/03/2005, 12:23 AM
Cash please.
-dm

JUMBO
02/03/2005, 12:35 AM
Crystal and dm:

Thanks for the info, you answered every question I had and couldn't have made it any more clear. I am very excited to check it out. I just hope other newcomers see this thread and come too!

"the more the merrier"
-somebody? (hehe)

i will see you all there.

JUMBO

dbacksrat
02/03/2005, 08:39 PM
so can you auction off your own stuff at the meeting?

dmorel
02/03/2005, 08:44 PM
right.

maxvan1
02/26/2005, 12:09 AM
What is the average age? Are there any younger reefers there?

AZDesertRat
02/26/2005, 01:14 PM
Yep.
There are high school and college students alll the up to old farts like myself.

A.J.

njmar1
02/26/2005, 02:49 PM
You're not old, AJ :D

AZDesertRat
02/26/2005, 05:11 PM
Thell my 6 grandkids that. The oldest one just turned 15 and is now taller than I am.

lex0219
02/27/2005, 12:21 AM
i am 14 years old

maxvan1
03/01/2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by lex0219
i am 14 years old

good, somone my age... :)

charlie___T
03/15/2005, 07:34 PM
are your parents happy about spending money on your reef

soni
03/16/2005, 03:59 AM
age 22 here. prop on april 2nd?

we need to setup a prop dating forum. my ex dumped me bc i spent more on my tank than i did her. =\

Jeffyjak
03/30/2005, 10:42 PM
I'm planning on coming down for your auction, just to maybe meet some of you, & hmmmm ask some questions? is that allowed :D I'm hoping to see some "stuff"

Thought i might try to come down for the day, & hit some of the lfs's on the way down. any particular favorites, or any you'd recommend for someone who owns nothing (yet), or just a good place to hang out for a little while? I'm not planning on any purchases... but then, you never know what great deals lie in wait for me....

what is the time to be there, & where?

thanks!
jeff

CrystalAZ
03/30/2005, 11:01 PM
The auction is Saturday and it starts around 2:45. It is on the NW corner of Rural and Ray at Round Table Pizza (in the Fry's plaza).

Come a little early and you can chat with people.

As far as LFS, Ocean Art is right down the street from the auction and is one of the best stores in town. Aquarium Arts and All Aquatics are in that area too... I think About the Reef is too.

Aquatouch is also a great store, but they are up at Cactus and 32nd St, so may be a good stop on the way to the auction.

The addresses and phone numbers to the store are in the FRAG forum. There's a pinned post about local stores.

See ya Saturday!

Crystal

dmorel
03/30/2005, 11:04 PM
The auction will be at the Round Table Pizza on the NW corner of Ray Road and Rural Road. It will begin at approximately 2:45pm

You are welcome to ask loads of questions, most of the "hanging out" and chatting is done prior to the start of the actual auction.

I personally need to get out as early as I can since I am coaching my little league team in a game saturday evening and need to be back on the other side of the valley for that.

LFS, I'm not a good guy to ask. I have MANY opinions on the subject and will be glad to share them with you in person, but I'd rather not vent them here.

-dm

Jeffyjak
03/30/2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks Crystal & DM; if plans remain the same, hope to be meeting you all on saturday!
jeff