PDA

View Full Version : How stupid can this creature get.

SweetJesus
12/19/2001, 01:14 PM
After a week of living happily in his one spot, my BTA decided he would move. This morning I woke up to find a small piece of red stuck in the bottom slot of my factory corner overflow. It seems the BTA has somehow gotten between the walls of the over flow and I cannot get him out. Anemone's are worse than women! Anyhow, any ideas on how to make him move? I am thinking slide the lighting around so only one side of the tank has light? I hope he can get out! Give me some suggestions!

jbf16falcon
12/20/2001, 10:36 PM
They are pretty stupid and my experience is that he may not get himself out of such a situation without assistance. If at all possible try to use a piece of like laminated plastic (thinner than a standard credit card) and see if you can't get it between the wall and his foot. It takes a lot of patience not to injure it while slowly working it under the anemone. If you can't do that I'm not sure what will work. If he is expanding and not in distress the light move might work. Good luck.

SweetJesus
12/21/2001, 12:15 AM
Well, I moved the lights, and I also put a powerhead blowing directly upon him. by this time I had to leave for work. 10 hours later . . . . . . I come home, and no BTA! no where to be found in the tank! Not in the overflow either. So I search, Sitting right in front of the intake for my pump, in the sump, is the BTA, Fully extended, attached to the bottom. Mere inches from being sliced and diced! So I carefully scoop him up, which does not make him happy. nematocysts start flying. Quite the fight we had. It was getting ugly, So I put him in his spot, and put a powerhead so it blows over him. well wake up this moring he has moved to the other side of the rock and the power head is blowing right on him. Then the amazing part, this is a power sweep power head. The thing has never oscillated! What is it doing? Oscillating! Upon further inspection, one maroon clown is missing! I look everywhere! Finally have my 3 year old daughter climb behind the tank to see if there is a "dead Fishy" on the floor. She says nope. He is hiding in the overflow behind the stand pipe. It is practically impossible to get a net in there because it is jammed full of the duroso stand pipe. Finally I disassemble the stand pipe and fish him out. Mean while i knock a snail down into the over flow. finally get the end of the net to snag the snail and get him out. Trying to place him on the rock, I knock him off behind the rock work. No way I can get him. So I put the top back on the top of the tank, sigh, and walk away. I just have to shake me head sometimes!

jbf16falcon
12/21/2001, 09:18 AM
BTA's, got to love them. At least they try and tell you when they aren't happy. I'm glad you were able to save him. Just like a maroon to pack up and follow after his anemone into the great unknown. I hope the BT stays put for you and maybe the maroon won't be as apt to check out the overflow again. Luck