PDA

View Full Version : Active Club

Thumper1
02/01/2005, 03:25 PM
It's apperant that their are a lot of sw folks in the Tulsa area. Why isnt the club more active in the area and more known about. All it would take would be to spread a few flyers to the local shops ,They would gladly push it due to it helping out their total sells I would think. I'd love to see the club grow in size and be more active. Personally I'd love to join but I cant see joining at this rate, no offense meant but you know where I'm coming from I hope. I'll gladly help out in any way I can,
I'm not trying to step on toes here but just help out the current club push foward.

Thumper1
02/01/2005, 07:46 PM
Can anyone add any insight to this. Am I totally wrong here? If I am I'll gladly admitt my mistake. Like i said no offense attnended. I just know that I've been to every store in Tulsa almost and not one person mentioned the club. Anyway I'll stop blabbering ,just wanting to help out. I'm going to join up and see if I can help out that way.

SoonerBolt
02/02/2005, 09:16 AM
I don't know if anyone from the actual club even reads this forum. I just started posting here to try to give Tulsa people a chance to talk to Tulsa people & give the forum a little life.
The club isn't as important to me as communicating with locals...and we have that right here if we all use it. The more traffic here, the more people will stick around and check back in to see whats going on.

TheMcs
02/02/2005, 11:29 AM
I'm an OMAS member. I've only been in the club for 2 months so I can't really speak for them, but it seems there isn't much of an internet presence. I don't know what Eric's goals are for his term.
Family dues are only $20/year. From a solely economic viewpoint, I've already received about $100 worth of frags free. The meetings are only once a month, but it's always a good time. I email pretty frequently with members. There's a large project that OMAS will be a part of coming up that I'm looking forward to.
It hasn't grown to the level of COMAS, but how can it if people say they aren't going to join until the club gets bigger? Kind of a catch-22 if you ask me.
In the end, can you spare $20/year and a few hours one Tuesday a month to meet and speak with local reef hobbyists? It's up to you.

SoonerBolt
02/02/2005, 11:50 AM
I probably will be joining the club as well if I ever get a chance to get to a meeting. If that doesn't happen I'll still post here and hope Tulsa people do as well so we have a local message place.

westernman89
02/02/2005, 02:15 PM
In the last 7 or 8 years, OMAS has been as large as 75 active members (paid) to as low as 9 members. The largest hurdle, which is common for any local society, is getting organized help.

As founder, past president and now current president, I've found that two or three people handle 99% of the work. That remains the case and probably always will. I'd love to have more help, but I'm also happy to have the few people that do consistently help keep track of our money, help recrute monthly meeting locations, etc.

Right now, I'm the one person that creates the flyers and quarterly newsletters. Flyers are emailed (as a PDF) to all members and delivery to the local fish stores is highly encouraged. It's unfortunate that the flyers don't always make it to every store, but all I can do is ask and hope for the best.

Really, meeting numbers have been in the 20's, which makes for a perfect meeting size in my experience. Thus, we're really not out to be "the biggest" and "the best." As mentioned, the many projects (Jenks Aquarium, NSU research aquariums, etc.) OMAS has been involved with only require 4 to 5 people...any bigger than that and you get too many cooks in the kitchen.

I hope you do join and are able to attend a meeting. It's great to sit around someone's home aquarium and talk shop for an hour.

FYI...the membership fees help support special events. Past events include guest speakers like Larry Jackson, Bob Fenner, Anthony Calfo, and Eric Borneman. Club participation is climbing, so funds for such an event can be wisely spent. (We wouldn't want a speaker to fly in from somewhere to speak to five people.) Again, it really is up to those willing to take a few extra steps to simply spread the word about OMAS.

Hope to meet you soon. I'm posting the February Meeting information today.

Thanks,
Eric

quaz
02/22/2005, 12:32 AM
I've been telling people that come into our store about Reef central... oh i work a ultimate reefs....

I've just found out about it my self. it's been a great help. wetwebmedia too.

I look forward to meeting all the omas people

i'm sure i already know quite a few of you from coming into the store.