PDA

View Full Version : Anyboby here tried garlic to treat ick

dvmsn
01/30/2005, 04:04 PM
I am currently trying this cure to treat a PBT that is very happy and eats like a pig but has been battling ick for a month or so. I did a freshwater dip, with little success( I don't think I dipped him long enough) Usually, I find fish will develop an immunity over time, but this guy hasn't. The rest of my fish are fine. Does anybody know another way to treat for ich in a reef tank?

Andrew
01/30/2005, 04:12 PM
Ive tried it before. Worked for me. (tried it on my tomato clownfish)

bugshop
01/30/2005, 04:24 PM
Dave,
I've tried garlic before and it seemed to help
but I don't know if it was the garlic or if it just cycled out.

I've found that I can't keep a powder anything for long
they are way too sensitive of a fish for me.

I have seen some people keep powders that just
keep getting it without any noticeable negative on the fish
other than the spots every week or so.

Good luck with hem and keep us posted,
He's a beautiful fish.

Timmy

H2OLUVSME
01/30/2005, 06:47 PM
i feed all of my fish garlic Dave. i have a blend of food i made. it has a high concentration of garlic. i just recently got a yellow eye tang from Steven. as soon as i put him in the tank he got ick. after a few days, its gone. im not sure if the cleaner shrimp has anything to do with it (ive never seen them near each other) but i have been feeding garlic to my tank everyday.

chad508
01/30/2005, 07:28 PM
i also use garlic once are twice a week. my blue tang will get a few spots on him but they are gone the next day. the garlic helps them fight off ich but the ich will still be in the tank unless you use a uv to kill it off.

phishguy78
01/31/2005, 09:56 PM
i have also used garlic and try to use it often i think it it helps withtheir imune system also i try to feed a lot of spirinlina it helps with imune system also

phishguy78
01/31/2005, 09:59 PM
dave seachem make garlic guard its good product and marc weiss has coral vital spoosed to help with ick but its not a copper based treament says on bottle it helps coralline growth and poply extension i think it helps with immune system also its not real cheap but at one teaspoon a 100 gallon a 8 oz bottle should go a long way

H2OLUVSME
02/03/2005, 09:39 AM
...and we all need help with poply extension........

:lmao:
Originally posted by phishguy78
....... helps coralline growth and poply extension ........

bugshop
02/03/2005, 07:12 PM
HAAAAY......speak for yourself!!!!!!!!
My "poply" is extending just fine thank you.:celeb1:

Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
...and we all need help with poply extension........

:lmao:

phishguy78
02/03/2005, 09:32 PM
yeah i like the way my polyp extends also

BubbaPhish
02/04/2005, 07:40 PM
If the garlic doesn't help there is a comany called Ruby Reef,has a product for Ich. Supposed to be safe for inverts and corals, a guy I know here in Florence has had good success with it. Good Luck

Kevin