PDA

View Full Version : Frag Trading and Flatworms

swhedbee
01/30/2005, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I'd like to participate in frag trading but I've got flatworms in my tank. I was wondering if the club had any guidelines or recommendations.

Would dipping the frag with Flatworm Exit before bagging it do the trick?

Thanks,

-Sam

mpdharley
01/30/2005, 04:02 PM
Dipping with flatworm exit should kill them, but, as I understand it you also have to be careful of the toxicity of the flatworms when they die. If you want to try it, I would do something like this (note that I've never tried this though):

1 - Have 3 bags/bowls of saltwater (from your tank)
2 - Siphon off as many flatworms as you can (from the frag).
3 - Add Flatworm exit to one of the bags/bowls, per the instructions and dip the frag in it. You'll probably have to keep the frag in this bowl for a few minutes. Again, check the instructions.
4 - After the dip, put the frag in the 2nd bag (as a rinse) and let it stay for a few minutes.
5 - Use the third bag of water for holding the frag and bringing it to the meeting.

Just let everyone know that you did this and you might be okay. You could also try this with a frag before the meeting and see how it works out.

Good luck!

Mike

robwsup
02/05/2005, 02:02 PM
Salifert Flatworm Exit is a great product when used properly. We had a problem when we first got started in South Carolina. FEX took care of it in two treatments. We used double the recommended dose, and ran carbon, along with a large (40%) water change.