PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had problems with Tulsa Aquatics?

jnichols
01/29/2005, 07:42 PM
I just got kicked out of Tulsa Aquatics I guess because I shop at Ultimate Reefs. Anyone had the same type of problems? I have never bought anything because he smokes all around his tanks and nothing ever looks good so its not a big deal. Anyone with an experience?

lanamarks
01/29/2005, 10:29 PM
No way! It has always bothered me that he smokes around the tanks. The only thing I have ever bought from him was my mandarin because he got the largest ones shipped in that I had ever seen. That is just stupid to kick out a potential customer because they shop elsewhere. Does WalMart kick me out because I shop at Target? Ridiculous.

jnichols
01/30/2005, 07:48 PM
Well I was thinking the same thing. Oh well. I just won't go back. :)

SoonerBolt
01/31/2005, 09:18 AM
I asked in the COMAS forum before I saw this here...what actually happened? Probably everyone that walks in there also walks in Ultimate Reefs...and vice versa. How would he even recognize that you shop there if it matter? Was something said?

TheMcs
01/31/2005, 10:39 AM
I like and get along with John (Tulsa Aquatics), but I hear from many people who do not. He's opened past closing time for me and has offered me a beer when I've been in on the weekend.
I think he has some nice specimens. Everytime I see him smoke, he at least stands in the open doorway. I've got 2 corals and a clown from him that are doing great. If you've never talked to his wife, she's a fantastic lady.
From what I hear from other LFS owners, John has a problem with the other stores. Why, I have no idea. Maybe he just has a problem with competition. I'm amazed that he would ask a customer to leave because they shop around. Unfortunately John can have a somewhat abrasive personality that doesn't work well in a retail environment.
Personally I like John and his shop. There are plenty of other LFS owners in Tulsa hungry for business that will go the extra mile for customers, which might be John's demise.
Sorry you had such a negative experience there.

jjmcat
01/31/2005, 10:11 PM
I too have had problems with john. I used to buy alot of fresh water drygoods and fish from him. I started a saltwater tank so ive shopped around for the best prices. I asked about odballs and he got jerky with me. All i said was they helped me out with all my questions. I will not go back,and yes his wife is very nice.I wish he had the same attitude.

SoonerBolt
02/01/2005, 09:32 AM
Just for the record, I don't have any alliance with any store. I shop them all and will continue to do so as long as they keep enough stock to keep me coming back to look.

I've had only good experiences at Tulsa Aquatics. As far as selection of livestock, I'd say its the best in town consistently.

I haven't had any negative experiences with the people there or any other store. John has seen me with water jugs from other stores, so he knows I shop around. He wouldn't know that I shop around except one time (on a night he wasn't open) I pulled in thinking the store was open. I had water bottles clearly labeled from another store in my car. He saw the car lights, came out and saw the jugs and said I could come in and get some water anyway if I needed it...nice jesture. I had to tell him I already had it & then he saw the labels. He reacted nicely and has been nice every since...not a negative word to me or about that store. I'm sure he completely expects every customor in his store to shop the other stores just like he would.

I am sensitive to the competitive market at all the stores I go in and don't mention another store in a positive or negative manner while I'm in their store. To me its a courtesy that we all should follow.

Strictly as a hobbyist, I'd say they need to check out UR, TA and Oddballs for sure, probably Corals and Reefs too if you watch the prices.

ReeferKeith
02/01/2005, 01:48 PM
I personally have never had any problems at Tulsa Aquatics either. I dont really ever go there simply because they have odd hours. The few times I have been there the owner and his wife have been friendly, but I have heard through the grapevine people having similar experiences as jnichols had at Aquatics.

I like all the stores in town and try to stop by them all from time to time. My favorite used to be AD because of their large coral selection, but as of late my favs are UR and Oddballs.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience at TA, maybe you caught him on a bad day or something. Anyways....Reef on!