PDA

View Full Version : Infertile Bangaii eggs??

Brad A.
12/18/2001, 03:50 AM
Has anyone ever observed a male bangaii to carry infertile eggs? I'm starting to get worried because he has been carrying the eggs for about 3 weeks and they have not hatched.

Thanks
BRad

Sally
12/18/2001, 06:42 AM
Mine carried eggs for 28 days...seemed like eternity. On day 25 or so if I looked really close I could see the babies swimming in his mouth. He may just be carrying longer than the norm. If he has gone this long I would think he is going to deliver live babies. Good luck!

FMarini
12/18/2001, 10:08 AM
Brad:
This brings up an interesting point. Would infertile eggs make it w/o collapsing or fungus-ing up. I doubt it.
have you personally seen eggs still in the banggais mouth?
If it is truely gone on for 21 days and there are still eggs in his mouth please take a picture.
Now i suspect your male has a mouthful.... but its probably babies.

Now another alterative hypothesis could be that the male has prematurely aborted him egg mass a time or two and the female immediately gave him a new one, and you didn't notice

Lastly, I have heard of peoples banggais holding eggs/fry for more than 28 days so your scenario is possible. Since the last seven days (post hatching) are developmental i guess eggs at 21 days could happen.
Hold fast and don't rush anything, Sounds like we're learning something new here.
Good luck
frank

Brad A.
12/18/2001, 02:45 PM
I can see a mouth full of eggs. I will try and get a pic. My digital camera is the not the best.

It is possible he eat the earlier batch and has a new batch. Although I observed no period of time when he was not carrying eggs for the last 3 weeks.

Thanks for the replies
Brad

Brad A.
12/23/2001, 03:45 AM
Good news, the eggs were viable. They took a long time to hatch...almost 30 days?? (I think)

I now have 40-55 bangers in my 20 refugium (2 batches). So far they seem to be getting along okay. I fed the male a lot of bloodworms. He acted like he was pretty hungry! I'm thinking about separating the banggai couple in order to give the male a rest. I think he may try to carry another batch in a week or so.

What am I going to do with all these cardinals?
Brad

FMarini
12/23/2001, 12:59 PM
Brad:
so what interest in medicine do you have??

Congrats on the banggers...now your journey begins

So heres what happened, if it took 30days for the fry to be released then the past 7days the fry have been growing in the males mouth, so 21-23 days ago the eggs hatched. Not too bad, Mine averaged 15-18days, but 21-23 is probably w/in statistical error.

yes please do feed your male mucho, as he will be holding another set w/in the week.
try to do a real head count, if you do hav over 50 fry, please go to the breeders registry and submit a report, any piece of info is helpful, is your male big? anything distingushing about him as far as why he carried such a large brood?

What to do w/ all those banggers?
well simple.... trade them w/ your local reef friends for stuff, sell them to a LFS (for $3-5/ea), place an ad in the back of FAMA and try to sell them for $60/ea + shipping. FFExpress might taken them. Losts of things
great success
frank

Brad A.
12/23/2001, 01:28 PM
I'm a medical technologist. Right now I'm finishing my master's degree in medical Laboratory science and next year I will be starting med school. So far I've been accepted to Iowa but I still have 3 other places to interview at. (creighton, Vermont and New York Med college). For my project I contructed a plasmid to express a cytokine on the surface of tumor cells at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. So, thats my interest in medicine.

I believe I do have over 50 banggers. However they are composed of two different batches.
thanks
brad