PDA

View Full Version : Whos running BareBottom?

SunDragon
01/29/2005, 08:22 AM
Anyone here truley running a bare bottom tank?

manderx
01/29/2005, 04:50 PM
i used to, didn't like it because rocks slid around too much on the glass and i didn't have enough flow at the bottom to handle gunk. but i'm about to re-do it with some starboard and a few big seios. one of the guys down here just re-did his 120 with 1/2" cuttingboard and it looks nice.

SunDragon
01/29/2005, 04:52 PM
Im thinking of starboard as well. Im concerned with the well being of my scotter blennie, and yellow watchmen though.

AQUAN8TOR
01/29/2005, 05:04 PM
I'm just about done plumbing the AmpMaster 3000. The 65 has 2 cuttingboards in the bottom, cut on the edge so they fit together nicely. They are roughly 12" wide, so the front 6" will be bare glass. I painted the underside of the tank white before I got the cuttingboards, so it should work well at giving a little extra light reflection. You're more than welcome to come over and see it when I get it done......which WILL be soon, hopefully today.

prop-frags
01/29/2005, 07:08 PM
wow, does this mean you're still gonna host the Feb meeting?
I vote yes.

AQUAN8TOR
01/29/2005, 07:29 PM
No. I'm not really up to that. I just mean that the system will be done, just minus fish and a lot of coral.

Charlie Davidson
01/30/2005, 12:49 PM
Running bare bottom- Last time was a VA tech, late 70s! Oh, tanks!

(Come on, you had to see that coming)

ranceego
01/30/2005, 06:29 PM
i run my sump that way, too much detri buildup with the sand.

rufio173
01/31/2005, 07:14 PM
I run mine barebottom with two eductors and I don't have anything gathering at the bottom, biggest problem is I've got too much flow for some of my smaller fish and they get tired and die :( I'm going to just switch to normal outputs and hope that I can get in there every now and then to throw up the detritus. I have it collecting in the sump though, but that gets vacuumed up every weekend when I do a water change.

Peace,
John H.

ranceego
02/04/2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by rufio173
I run mine barebottom with two eductors and I don't have anything gathering at the bottom, biggest problem is I've got too much flow for some of my smaller fish and they get tired and die :( I'm going to just switch to normal outputs and hope that I can get in there every now and then to throw up the detritus. I have it collecting in the sump though, but that gets vacuumed up every weekend when I do a water change.

Peace,
John H.
john fill me in on the eductors, not up to par with them

Charlie Davidson
02/04/2005, 02:25 PM
Tommy, the thing looks alot like a trumpet, that you mount on ends of water piping coming from slump (return). It takes the water pressure of your return and uses it to enduct water from the tank- mix it and creates alot better water flow thruout the tank. The cone of water is greatly increased (wider) and more gph.. I may not be very clear- so if you look at KTH sales.com they have a easy to read explaination.
BTW, John was the one that told me about the penductor at KTH sales!

Charlie Davidson
02/04/2005, 02:31 PM
BTW, they call them mixing enductors on main page.